“Breakfast is served” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #107 of 248 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Café, Pasta
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Salvatores Cafe, opened in 1997 by Sean Johnston.Located in the heart of darwin, Australia boasting a reputation for quality coffee with convienant opening hours.Our in house chef Dario Mannino has selected some wonderful Italian dishes, from both the north and the south. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.We are fully licensed and priced reasonably.Check out our website for a copy of our menus.
Gold Coast
“Breakfast is served”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I only had charge back breakfast here once however the staff were friendly, food was fresh and very well priced. Next time round I must try them for dinner!

Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Nice but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Toasted chicken and avocado sandwich is nice and tasty but a little pricey at $15, try the mango smoothie, yum yum

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“I would not order the steak again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I ordered the steak, medium rare with mushroom sauce. It came with fries and salad. It was a very poor piece of steak. It was very rare, one central piece of meat with two smaller pieces loosely held together by a large, rare, soft piece of fat. The flavour of the meat was not nice at all. The cause was very nice. The fries were soft and undercooked, the salad was nice.

This was the only time I ate at Salvatores, so I can't say if this was a once off or if they just do cook nice steaks. I was quite disappointed.

Visited March 2013
SalvatoresCafeDarwin, Owner at Salvatores Cafe, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. I can see you've contributed many reviews to TA, so I can see the sort of person you are.

I think the review was fair and your opinion, so no problem with that.

I am sorry the steak came out that way, with the soft chips. We do strive to get every single order right and proper. There is no excuse for the soggy chips. We put the sauce on the side and the steaks are rested after cooking so there is little chance of any liquids affecting the chips. So all I can ascertain is that the kitchen undercooked them. As for the steak...I'm partially glad the steak was a little on the rare side...we can cook it up, but we can't cook it down...meaning I can take it from a rare to a med-rare, but not the other way around. The problem is many people have different ideas as to what constitutes a rare or a medium...so my chefs will do their best to stick to what I classify as such...but that doesn't always match everyone's expectations (not that everyone can be satisfied every time)...however our steaks are bought from a credible butcher and we do pay top dollar...yes, we only charge $23.90 for the 250g scotch with the chips, salad and choice of sauce....but that doesn't mean the steak should be fatty. (which they usually aren't)
I'd request a chance to provide a free steak dinner if you are around so you can see us as we normally are. Hopefully you will attest that we do a good job!

And as I always say....If its not right let us know so we can fix it. We don't you unsatisfied!

Sean
Brisbane, Australia
“Good value Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As part of the Darwin Central Hotel complex it was convenient for breakfast whilst watching the world go by on the streets of Darwin. Great Coffee and excellent service.

Visited March 2013
Darwin, Australia
“Great spot for a relaxing lunch and watching the world go by”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Situated next to the main traffic lights in Darwin City, you can watch people walking around and cars driving past. The food isn't too bad either, more pricey than some places however.

Visited December 2012