We recently had the unfortunate experience of this hotel/apartments for 10 days.
These are NOT 4 or 5 star as advertised and at best 2-3 stars and certainly not worth the price tag.
The quality of the rooms are highly variable as is the cleaning standard.
On arrival we were placed in a "so-called renovated room": This room on the 11th floor was not renovated but had had a minor cosmetic superficial makeover with new cushion covers and couches. The bathrooms, kitchens and floors were dated back to the 80's. We noted crumbs on the floor, mouldy bathrooms and dirty fans. In addition the foxtel didnt work. We complained and the management dutifully sent the cleaners up - who rather than having a set list of jobs just rush around like mad giving the place a superficial spray and wipe.
The next three nights my daughter started to complain of severe itch and came out in nasty bites all over her back and legs which required medical treatment. We complained to management who at first were rather disbelieving. I demanded to move rooms and this time we were placed on the 15th floor. This apartment was renovated but again suffers from the wear and tear and bad cleaning and management issues.
WE found on moving in to this room -:
1. TV didn't work! (had to again get management up to fix it - turns out someone had plugged in an old VCR and removed all the cabling).
2. Fans filthy
3. Pillows yellow and stained and severely odiferous - again called housekeeping who dutifully exchanged them for newer ones.
4. Extractor fan peeling paint which dropped into your food when cooking (again management called who sent a handy man up to rectify)
5. Door to balcony jammed - same poor handyman sent up to "replace the pads which had become worn"
Management denied having any cause for our daughters bites however 4 days later some flowers and chocolates were delivered to our room from management. Turns out they had found a NEST OF BITING ANTS in the wardrobe of the room where our daughter was staying. Management suddenly were apologetic and no longer disbelieving. However my daughter had to have oral medication and creams for 1 week to relieve her discomfort.
1. Pool is showing signs of needing an upgrade and is not child friendly - the entrance is thru a narrow door up some steps which is not pram friendly as you try to fit the pram thru a doorway whilst opening a security latched pool gate. We have a 5 month old baby so we needed the pram as the seating areas around the pool have lots of ants.
Overall we would have moved to another hotel but my husbands work had paid for the accomodation so moving was not an option - however we would never stay there again and we don't recommend anyone else to either.
The problems could be fixed if some serious input was placed on maintaining these properties. However as each apartment is owned by a different owner the standard is highly variable.
In addition the cleaners/housekeeping don't really clean or have any set guidelines. House keeping consists of a superficial spray and wipe followed by clean sheets! So often things are missed or just not checked between peoples stays. For example - the remotes to the TVs had been misplaced so weren't in the second room when we were moved - if the housekeeping had checked this we wouldn't have had to ring down to management again to find them. In addition coffee and tea aren't restocked, just missed by housekeeping. The cleaners need to have a list of requirements and get them ticked off each time they service a room- that way when a room needs maintenance they can inform management.
The only positive was the location - close to Woolworths and the centre, and walking distance to the lagoon (15 mins).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marrakai Apartments offer the spacious luxury of apartment living at Darwin's premier address. Featuring wide wrap-around balconies providing panoramic views of the city, harbour and gardens our apartments are your comfortable home away from home. Each apartment is complete with a fully equipped kitchen, private laundry and 2 bedrooms/bathrooms. The pool, spa and BBQ area is the perfect spot to relax and entertain friends. City shopping and theatres are right on your doorstep and for the nights you don't feel like cooking, there are a number restaurants to choose from. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Marrakai Luxury All Suites Darwin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.