“One of the best pools in Darwin hotels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Darwin Airport Resort

You added Rydges Darwin Airport Resort to your Saves list
Rydges Darwin Airport Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Henry Wrigley Dr, Darwin, Northern Territory 0812, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin, Australia
“One of the best pools in Darwin hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed here on the night of Good Friday because they had an Easter offer. I joined as a Priority Guest member to receive 10% discount the room rate, and other benefits as well. I was not disappointed at the price I paid for the full breakfast we had, the late checkout at 1pm (without charge), and a beautiful pool which was open until 10pm. The pool was very good for all ages, children and adults, even for toddlers. We had such an amazing time at the resort, spent with family and friends. Also, I received good service from the reception staff. The only complain I have though would be that the room was a bit tired. It could use some repainting to make it look new.

Room Tip: Perhaps a family suite would be better or one of the bungalows.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your stay over Easter at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Your review is important in ensuring consistently friendly and efficient standards of service.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate all of our guests, especially our Priority Guest Rewards Program members. Our staff attempt endeavour to exceed your expectations in any way possible.
In the near future, there are refurbishments taking place to update both the hotel and resort properties.
Thank you again for your positive feedback and we hope to see you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed for four nights and enjoyed every aspect of the resort. Great pool for the kids. The staff and customer care were impeccable along with the revamped menu and food at essence. Delicious. Keep up what your doing guys. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Stayed April 2014
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Resort. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay and have noticed an improvement from your last stay.
We have updated the Essence menu and whilst we have maintained the grill concept we have broadened the offering and focussed on fresh and fast dishes especially at lunch.
Thanks again for choosing to stay with us again and for the valuable feedback which I will pass onto the team.
darwin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Rydges for 2 nights whilst packing up house for big move back to Melbourne. Reservation was quick and easy. Check in was quick and easy friendly front of house staff. I wanted to try get late check out as flight was leaving in the evening was going to pay $60 for late check out but friendly staff advised me if I became a member ( for free) would get late checkout for free and they would hold our luggage and we could continue to use the amenities. Which was much appreciated.
I had two children and two adults and had superior twin room which was enough for us. Room was very clean and good size.
The facilities at the hotel were awesome and felt like I was on holiday in Bali with lovely pool area which had long opening times with spa and waterfall and shallow area for kids. Reception area was lovely.
All the staff l encountered were very helpful and accommodating and spoke perfect English.
We had breakfast on the last day at the hotel and was a good price and heaps of food available . The food was delicious and I loved the juice bottles and selection available.
Free shuttle to airport was appreciated and didn't have to wait for it. The lady who drove it was funny and helpful as well.
I could not fault my stay in anyway.
I have travelled extensively thought Asia and Europe and would have to say this has been one of my top five places l have stayed anywhere.
One thing I think it could use is maybe a small playground for kids, behind the gym block may be a good area.
THANKYOU to the staff of Rydges Darwin airport resort for making my last few days in Darwin after 7 years a relaxing and memorable one. I will defiantly stay again when up visiting friends.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. I am glad you have enjoyed your recent stay and made the most of your last few days in Darwin.
The Lobby and outlook down to the pool area is Bali like and does lend itself to creating a relaxed feel. As you mention the pool area is great for kids to explore with waterfalls, little beach areas (pebble) and the swim in spa.I will have a look into the shower area as it may lend itself to a small play area.
I was very pleased that the team were very accommodating as it is an area we have been concentrating on as we have had some new team on board as we enter the high season.
The complimentary shuttle service is a key guest service asset as it provides a quick and easy transfer to and from the airport. Thanks again for chossing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort.
Yamba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was our first time here, arrived at 1 am local time with 3 little kids. No trouble to get shuttle bus & friendly reception, who gave us a late check out for no extra charge. Room was fine & quiet. Pool area is just beautiful, so nice, kids loved it. Buffet breaky was really good & again, friendly staff. Overall, a great stay, after a very long day travelling.

Room Tip: We had a family room with three little ones, all good.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay. I understand how difficult travelling with young kids can be. Our shuttle service can assist in getting you from the airport to the resort with minimum fuss. Another helpful tip if you are transiting is to store the bulk of your lugguage as it can save taking it to your room with kids in tow.
The Resort property offers family and resort rooms that have bedding set ups that are great for families and our sister property across the room have two bedroom apartments. The resort pool is a great place for the kids with little pebble inlets and waterfall and a swim in spa area to explore. There is a number of grass areas for the kids to run off some energy as well.
Thanks for the valuable feedback and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort in the future.
Wagait Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at Darwin Airport, rang the Rydges, checked for availability of rooms and made a booking at 12:30am Arrived at the hotel 20 minutes later. After spelling out our surname six times, SWA..., our booking was found for the wrong night. We were advised we would have to pay an additional fee for "early check in". After once again ringing the booking line we were told they would ring the hotel and sort it out.

In the meantime additional guests arrived who were served. I overheard a request for a wake up call at 4:20am which was written down on a call log sheet.

Finally sorted our booking, got to the room and no hot water. Chose not to deal the reception staff on this matter however in the morning there was still no hot water.

Checked out at 8:30am and noticed the same guests at the counter as the previous night. Apparently no wake up call had been made to them.

I walked away considering myself lucky that all I really had to complain about was it taking an hour to check in and cold showers.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuring a consistent level of service is offered to all our guests.
I was concerned to read about the lack of hot water that you experienced during your stay. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused and was due to a fault in the blocks Hot water system that has since been rectified.
I understand that this has impacted your stay and should you be travelling through to Darwin in the future please don't hesitate to contact me as I am happy to make amends.
Thanks again for your feedback and for choosing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Booked here coz of our very early flight overseas. Friendly reception and shuttle service to the airport are superb. They have shuttles to go to the CBD and shopping centre, just ask reception for schedule. Theres restaurant in the resort and the next door hotel but its quite expensive. Better off dining at a nearby shopping centre (about 6 minutes drive, and like i said theres a shuttle to go there or catch a cab for about $11). We left a note at the reception that theres small ants in the room but thats just nitpicking coz the room is very clean and maybe its just been raining and the resort is surrounded by trees. The friendly manager James responded straight away and apologized for that.
Nice and accomodating staff at the restaurant except for one Caucasian staff who almost dragged me to wait outside in the bar area coz i ordered takeaway meal even though theres only 2 people sitting in the restaurant. She could have just told me to go outside, but when she saw me sitting in their fine dining, she literally hold my elbow and escorted me out.
Also just a suggestion, they should put a rubber or something on the stairs as it can be a bit slippery going up to second floor especially on a rainy day.

• Stayed February 2014
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Resort. Your feedback whether positive or negative plays an important role in the delivery of our guest service.
Thanks for the helpful tips on the shuttle service which I think is a great and convenient asset to the properties. In regard to the Restaurants another good tip is joining the Priority Guest Program which gives you a dining discount of 25% when dining in the Essence Restaurant. We are introducing a new menu in early March as well.
I will follow up with the Restaurant Manager with regard to the disappointing service you received from one of the team whilst waiting for your meal. My apologies and we will follow up.
Whilst we do have to content with living in the tropics and insects we have sprays that our team can use to assist straight away and a good Pest management plan.
Thanks again for providing the valuable feedback
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

(Unfortunately) I am a regular at this hotel due to poor flight connections out of Darwin. Each time I stay, I promise myself it will be the last and the most recent visit cemented by resolve. In my booking, I requested a downstairs room to arrive and find myself allocated an upstairs room. The receptionist tried to find an alternative to be told by the supervisor (loud enough for all to hear) that she shouldn't fuss as it is a third party booking through Qantas. (I'm sure Qantas would be happy to hear this!!). Needless to say, I got an upstairs room. The following day, I alerted reception to what seemed an infestation of cockroaches in my room to be told that it's simply "that time of year". Having lived in the tropics for years, I am quite used to the odd cockroach but this was well beyond what is acceptable.
I would strongly recommend that if you have an option to this hotel, take it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Resort. My apologies for the inconvenience we caused you on this stay.
I have followed up with the Reservations team and where possible they try to pre allocate Ground floor rooms when requested (subject to availability) We do have several room types that are mostly located on the upper floors.
We will follow up with the reception team and the supervisor as regardless of where the booking originates we do our best to try to allocate preferences when requested.
As you mention we are in the tropics and particularly after rain we will get more insects but we work in well with our Pest controller to have the indicated rooms sprayed asap.
My apologies again for a less than satisfactory stay and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can make amends.

Been to Rydges Darwin Airport Resort? Share your experiences!