“No internet access in 'Business Suite'” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Darwin Airport Resort

Save Saved
You added Rydges Darwin Airport Resort to your Saves list
Rydges Darwin Airport Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Henry Wrigley Dr, Darwin, Northern Territory 0812, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 38 hotels in Darwin
Australia
“No internet access in 'Business Suite'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Thankfully my stay was paid for by my work, as if it were my own $, I'd have been quite crankier.

I was booked into a "business Suite" which also looked like it hadn't had a refurb since the 80's. (think floral bedspreds) to discover there is no wifi in ANY of the rooms, only an ADSL cable port. Bad luck if you have a new laptop or ipad.

I looked in my room for the big blue cable as I had about 5 hours worth of work to do and couldnt find the cable. I rang reception thinking I might need to go get one to be told "we dont have any" I explained I was in a business suite and intended to do a solid 5 hours of work (this was around 9 p.m.) and was told "yeah sorry you can come sit in the lobby and use the free wifi in the lobby"

The lobby is outdoor open-plan under a pavillion style roof...and it was raining....Wasn't particularly happy about sitting in a rainy lobby until the wee hours of the morning doing emails.

Business Suite...ha! BYO your own ADSL cable if you need internet!

Rooms we're very tired, the air conditioning rattled and dripped water on the floor.

If it wasnt so close to the airport and obviously convenient for those fly-in fly-out I'd think most people wouldnt bother with it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback in regard to your recent stay. I apologise for the inconvenience caused by the internet in your guest room. We currently get our internet via asdl as this is the only option available in the airport area in which the properties are located.
Within the next few months we will be having an upgrade to the internet for the properties which will include faster data delivery and wi fi available throughout the property. The IT upgrade will be extensive and we are working with the IT company into a time that they can install the larger bandwidth into the property and establish the wi fi throughout the resort.
We do offer free wi fi internet in the Resort lobby for use by guests that have ipads etc as a solution in the meantime.Thanks again for the feedback and again my apologies for the inconvenience the lack of cables and asdl internet caused.
I trust we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when our new Wi fi access is available.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Walking into my "business suite" last night could only be described as stepping back in time to the 1980's. The room was dark & dingy with a Queen bed and a single bed but with only enough towels for one person. The fly screen door to the minuscule balcony was lying on the ground so I refitted it for them. The cleaner must have missed it lying on the floor! The room was very small and generally was tired looking. The real bonus was the jets starting at around 6am and thundering noise was the first order of the day! Didn't have a choice as it was booked by another party. Glad I was only there for 8 hours!!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role is helping us to provide friendly and efficient guest services.
Please accept my apologies for the sliding screen door coming off its tracks this has since been rectified by maintenance due to a faulty roller assembly.
The Jet noise you mentioned was a training exercise for fighter pilots that only occurs every several years for a 2 week period taking off at varying times. The Top Gun training finished in early June this year.
Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback and apologies again for the Jet noise and sliding door issues.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed due to a plane delay and a missed flight ( which was payed for by Jetstar) the pickup and then the drop off the following day were good, the room was alright, the pool area is nice. Had our meals there and they were good, all the staff at the resort are helpfull and and very pleasant. They do a shuttle bus to town and the shopping centre. We have stayed there before but that was a late night stay and on the next day, so this time we had 20 hours to enjoy the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the resort. Our guest feedback plays an important role in helping us to provide a consistent and friendly level of guest service.
I noted that you were a disrupted passenger off an airline for your recent stay. The Resort receives a lot of disrupted guests and it is our intention to get you checked in and settled as fast as we can as we understand that you have been delayed and your plans have altered. I am glad that you took advantage of the pool and shuttle services to make the most of your stay.
Thanks again for your feedback and I trust we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the resort in the future.
Alice Springs, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed in a Resort Suite (room 352) for two nights after returning from Bali. Checked into the Airport Resort about 05:00 on the morning of the 17th April 2013, was looking forward to a hot shower then bed bed - got to the room jumped into the shower and NO hot water, rang reception to report it only to be told "you have to leave it running for 15 - 20 minutes" not impressed, just had a cold shower and went to bed as we were exhuasted. Mainenance person attended our room later thta day to investigate, all fixed was his verdict, also bedroom aircon not working very well there was water running down the inside of the walls, turned it off as there was one in the living area (that would have to work harder) thought I would give it a rest maybe it was frozen up but had it on 24 degrees.

Spent the afternoon out, then decided to have a spa, that idea was short lived as the button to turn on the spa was broken ao had a bath instead, had diner at Long Fong then back to the room at about 22:00 let the water run for approximately 20 minutes and had a hot shower, turned the aircon in the bedroom on and went to bed, 20 minutes later husband woke as he could here running water, once again aircon blowing warm air with water running down the walls and a continuous drip pnto the carpet oh well turn the aircon off again and put the fan on high, then at about 02:00 in the morning the TV turns on by itself in the loungeroom. What a night??

Next morning it took approximately 25 minutes for hot water. When we checked out on the 18th I spoke to Sheridan the receptionist and informed her of all of the above issues with the room aswell as telling her that perhaps the cleaning staff could look up as cobwebs with accumulated dust is not a good look.

Sheridan was appologetic and told me that next time I stayed with them that I should ring prior to my arrival so that the room is in order, I was quite mistified at this request as I would have thought that if you are paying $475.00 for two nights accommodation that the aircon should be working and that the water should be hot without letting it run for 20 minutes.

I stayed here several times prior to the Airport Resort becoming Rydges and always in a Resort Suite and have never had any maintenance issues, will I be back only if it is the only option avaliable, which is why we had to stay here this time, as I don't beleive that I should have to ring prior to arrival to make sure my room has hot water and a working aircon.

It is unfortunate as the rooms are lovely, on a positive the bed was comfortable but sleep was interupted.

Room Tip: NOT room 352
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for the feedback in regard to your recent stay and I thank you for your time on the phone. I apologise for the obvious inconvenience you experienced when you stayed in Room 352 recently. Rest assured we have followed up the feedback and actioned the following:
The Hot water pressure was reduced due to a slow booster pump which has now been replaced restoring the hot water pressure to this block.
The Air Conditioner has been repaired to fix the thermostat that was allowing it to freeze.
The Television has been fully re programmed as I am unsure how it turned on at 2.00am unless it was set by a timer by a previous guest.
I understand the impact this would have had to your stay and thank you for your understanding and opportunity to make amends.Thanks again for your time and valuable feedback.
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Totally disappointed. Photos on website for same room booked were completely different. What we got was a dismal dark room. This property is totally overpriced. There is an absorbant charge if you arrive early. Food at resturant was ok but very pricey. There is nothing around so no other choices. Pool was clean, bathroom in room was clean, but bedding was old and dismal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback in relation to your stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. The room you stayed in was a deluxe bungalow and they are the older bungalowsand sold at a different rate to the Executive Bungalows as they have not been updated to the same standard. There is only 10 of these bungalows and within several months they will all have the same bedding and amenities with triple sheeting and extra tub chair.
Please accept my apologies if the deluxe room type was not the choice of room you would have preferred to have during your stay and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can make amends during a future guest booking.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback and for bringing this to my attention.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for a quick stop over. I really like the open reception area and the pool here, it gives the place a relaxed open feeling. Why is it that TV's in hotel rooms (geberally speaking)rarely have good reception??????

Huge bathroom in the room - and very clean

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and for highlighting some of our guest services and facilities. Our Resort shuttle is complimentary and provides a pick up and drop off to the nearby airport so it is convenient and takes any hassle out of transiting between flights or when starting your NT holiday adventures. We also operate this shuttle daily into the CBD at a selected time and it can drop off to the Casuarina shopping centre as well.The service runs at 10am and 5pm and drops off or picks up at these times.
The entrance lobby to the resort gives the arriving guest a lovely view into our oasis pool area with the surrounding palms and gardens providing a tanquil setting. The Restaurant and Bar overlook this area so provides a relaxing spot to unwind and relax. A great area to refresh if you are in between flights or to check your bags in and come back to relax before grabbing the shuttle to get on your flight.
Thanks again for the feedback and I appreciate the support and patronage for the property.
Cairns
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The airport resort offers comfortable accomodation and I use it when I transition from a late flight in to an early flight out. I have stayed in the bungalows which are great, fully self contained with small kitchen, lounge room and seperate bedroom, the small deck outside is also nice. The rooms are not large but are clean and well airconditioned. The pool is great and is nice to have a swim to refresh. There is a nature walk along the Rapid Creek just at the back of the resort, near the outdoor BBQ area.No cooking facilities in the rooms, basic tea coffe and milk only. It can be difficult to navigate around the resort as rooms are located in a number of rows, both upstairs and down, best to book a downstairs room if you have difficulties with stairs as there are no lifts.
a shuttle runs into Darwin on a regular basis and to mindil Market during the dry season.

Room Tip: There is a riffle range near by and shots can be heard on some afternoons, during the day noise from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Thanks for the helpful tips to enjoying your stay at the resort.
The bungalows are a great option and do have self catering facilities like our Resort Suite which also have spa baths to relax. There is also a range of deluxe Queens and Twin which are great for a overnight stay but dont have cooking facilities.
The pool and restaurant and bar area are set in lovely surroundings that really provide an oasis to relax and enjoy yourself away from the airport.
Thanks again for your feedback and the tips you have provided for future guests.

Been to Rydges Darwin Airport Resort? Share your experiences!