“Good as a stopover.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Darwin Airport Resort

Save Saved
You added Rydges Darwin Airport Resort to your Saves list
Rydges Darwin Airport Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Henry Wrigley Dr, Darwin, Northern Territory 0812, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 38 hotels in Darwin
Kununurra, Western Australia, Australia
“Good as a stopover.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I recently stayed here for the second time as a stopover in between flights. The free airport transfers are very quick and operate 24 hours. The service is good but the only problem I have at this resort is that I always have a bit of luggage, and checking into a hotel at 11pm and given the further-est room from the reception office, and one of the upstairs rooms with a two year old and husband to check out of the room at 6 am in the morning when you're exhausted, carting luggage is the last thing you want to do at that time of the night. would stay here again but would book and request a lower level room.

Room Tip: request lower level room if you have a family
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DarwinResort, Front Office Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. It is pleasing to hear you found the service was good. Next time you make a reservation please contact us in advance to your arrival and we can allocate you a room for your convenience.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were only here for about 6 hours but from what I saw I was quite impressed.
After a day of driving with two car sick kids and then finding out my wife's plane was delayed into Darwin where I was meeting her before flying out to Singapore that same night the news that we had been upgraded was the first bit of good news all day and greatly received!
The room was clean and large enough so that I could get the kids to sleep will still packing and repacking out in the living room.
My wife and I managed 45 minutes sleep on the fold out sofa bed which was pretty lumpy but we were so tired we didn't care! The main bed in the bedroom did look pretty comfy though but the kids scored that!
A shame that the restaurant does not deliver food but that you have to pick it up but it didn't take long and the food was good.
I would love to meet the person who designed where the light switches were to go - who ever it was must have had one sick and twisted mind!
During Darwins high season (which is more then half of the year) I would not stay here as it is too expensive but during the low season it can offer good value for money if you need somewhere close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for providing your review. It is good to hear your complimentary upgrade was able to help with day you were having.
Kununurra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We always stay at the airport resort, if we have non connecting flights in/out of Darwin and also quite often use it as a base for 2-3 days when shopping in Darwin.
We prefer to stay at the resort to the hotel, as the resort pool is simply the best. Very large, with Waterfall, Spa and 2 nice shallow areas that are perfect for little kids.
Normally we just walk from the airport to the resort (about 300m, follow the path that cuts through the carpark), but my son had fractured his leg and we took their shuttle.
The bus arrived 5 mn. after we rang (there is a phone at the baggage carousel) and the Driver was so helpful, even showing us half way to our room and opening the pool gate that we had to pass.
We have stayed here many times and the check in has always been quick & efficient, the staff have been very helpful (even when we forgot to make a booking last time and they were almost booked out).
As the resort is very popular with locals coming from surrounding towns & stations, I recommend to always book in advance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is great to hear you love staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I last reviewed this property in December last year after a business trip. My review then was favourable and my review this time is even more positive. This time the occasion was my wife's graduation at Charles Darwin University, so we decided to treat ourselves to a bungalow (I think it was about $30 more than the standard room). We had the best time! The pool was nearby and relaxing there for the afternoon was wonderful. So too was just sitting on the small verandah enjoying the lovely gardens, sipping a cool glass of chardonnay. The room itself was spacious, clean and well appointed. Even though you are right near the airport, the noise is minimal. The restaurant at the resort seemed to have a better menu than last time I was there. Good variety, well presented food and a reasonable wine list. The other thing in favour of this property ahead of others in the city is the free parking. All in all, I'd recommend this resort once again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra few dollars for a bungalow. Definitely worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving this great review. It is good to hear that you had another enjoyable and relaxing stay.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked a Wotif.com room at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort as I arrived late at night and wanted to stay close to the airport. There is a free shuttle to the resort, you just ring from the phone near baggage claim. The shuttle took about 20 minutes to arrive. You can easily walk the distance to the resort (about 300m) if you like.

Note that the Resort is separate to the Hotel (which is across the road) - they are not the same thing! The hotel looks a little more on the budget side.

Check-in was quick, given my room. Short walk to the room. There are both bungalows and normal hotel type rooms - I had a hotel twin. The room really was not very good - very old, peeling paint, poor aircon (very very hot all night) etc. TV was ok. The bed was average and I did not get a good night's sleep.

The resort itself is lovely - the pool looks really really good (but I had to leave so did not get to try it). The restaurant on site (Essence?) is great - very decent food for resort prices.

All in all a great resort, let down by the standard of the rooms. Very convenient for airport stopovers, but I would not stay here otherwise. And a complete rip-off for $229 per night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving your review. Rydges does have two properties at the airport, a Resort and a Hotel. They are located 50 meters apart and guests are welcome to use the facilities across both the properties. If you were to join up for free to the Rydges Priority Guest Rewards Program you would have access to discounted rates and further benefits.
Wangaratta, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was very disappointed when I stayed here. I was travelling alone with my 16 month old and had requested a cot for the room. I was flying in at 4:30am, so it was really important to me that I could move quickly to the resort and get my child to sleep. I had called the resort a week earlier, double checking that the cot would be set up in the room and guess what??? When I checked in, they did not have a cot in the room. They told me I would have to wait 3 hours to get one!! They also put me up on the first floor making it difficult for me to move around with a pram. The porter also told me off for having a heavy suitcase. Not what you want to hear at 4:30 in the morning with a crying baby!!
When I asked to speak to the manager, he offered me a late check out of 1pm.....pity he didn't look at his records because I was already paying for this. When I pointed it out, he generously offered me a 2pm check out.
The room itself was small and not worth the $180 a night I paid. Highlight for me was the friendly man who cleans the pool in the morning. The pool is a definite bonus but, that's about it!!

Room Tip: Make sure you specify if you want a ground floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving your feedback from your recent stay. I do apoligise for the inconvenience that must have been casued from the cot not being set up. This has been followed up with Housekeeping to ensure it does not happen in the future.
Katherine, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at Darwin Airport resoort as part of their romance package on 29th September and also on 7th October on return from Bali in a business room.

Romance package: paid an extra $50 on arrival for upgrade to resort suite with spa.
Good Points:
*Swift checkin
* excellent service in the restaurant
* late checkout (as per priority club member)
* stunningly presented and superb tasting food in essence restaurant for dinner
* Able to leave car here due to flying overseas for a week

Negative Points
* no cold water or ice in fridge - both ice cube tray and water jug were totally empty
* spa did not work properly (no bubbles) - on checkout we mentioned it to be told we could have rung reception and they would have fixed it (when questioned further I was told that the maintenance man would NOT have been able to fix it at 9 pm at night and may not even be able to fix it until the Monday morning!) THIS IS WHY WE UPGRADED FOR THE SPA!!!!! Didn't even get an apology :-(

Business Suite - 7th October
Arrived at 10.45pm to a small queue
Good Points:
* Swift Check in
* Late checkout and 2 free drink vouchers/20% off food/beverages as per priority club member - SEE NEGATIVES BELOW!)

Negative Points:
* No cold water or ice (both ice cube trays and water jug empty in bar fridge and bone dry)
* Very noisy with being able to hear people coming and going at all hours of the night
* At 11pm, my husband decided to use the two free drink vouchers and walked to reception to be smirked at by Andrew and told condescendlingly that he couldn't use them and the bar closed at 10pm. This information was not provided to us by Andrew when he checked us in 15 minutes previously.

After a number of years of staying at the Darwin Airport Resort and Darwin Airport Inn (both prior to being bought by Rydges and after), my husband and I have decided that we will no longer stay here again. For a hotel which holds the Rydges name, I at least expect to be able to have cold water, ice and a mini-bar in my room as well as clear information being provided to me on check-in in relation to bar opening hours. In future I will stay at a hotel in town (in particular Holiday Inn Darwin/Esplanade)!!

On reflection, for a hotel with close proximity to an international airport, the service is seriously lacking. When I have stayed at hotels with the same proximity - novotel and holiday inn to name a few - I have been provided with FULL room service (not a pick up from the restaurant when its open), mini-bar and cold water and ice!! The resort is certainly NOT the same since it was purchased by Rydges :-(

Room Tip: Go a bungalow if you are going to stay here at all!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing your review. Both your positive and negative points have been passed on to the relevant managers to ensure they are aware of your feedback.

Been to Rydges Darwin Airport Resort? Share your experiences!