“Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments

You added Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   26-32 Marina Boulevard | Cullen Bay, Darwin, Northern Territory 0820, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We booked a Hotel Room - Water View to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary.
At check-in, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom apartment on the 8th floor!
The apartment (809) was absolutely stunning & the Marina & Harbour views well & truly exceeded our expectations.
We were also allowed late checkout (noon) for the next day.
So happy we remembered our binoculars as there was so much to look at.
Especially watching Rhapsody of the Seas sail out of Darwin Harbour.
So lucky to have such a memorable experience there - we hope to return next celebration.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Don't leave anything behind if you stay here! Accidentally left souvenirs / gourmet goods in fridge. Called a few hours after check out when we realised and told the room had not yet been cleaned. Then called back several hours later and told our things had been disposed of:( disappointing.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Erin H, Manager at Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi duckiss,
Thank you for your review, it is dissappointing to hear what happened after you left the resort has left a bad impression on you. I can assure you that once a guest checks out and if housekeeping have found any lost property in a room they bring ithese items back to reception where they are stored however when it comes to perishable items in fridges unfortunately these are disposed of as we have no means of keeping these items for guests if prior arrangements have not already been made. Although the staff member may have told you the room had not been cleaned as and when she spoke to you, by the time she was able to get a hold of housekeeping they may have already started to clean the room and had thrown the perishable items out. I can assure you that if we were notified immediately after you had checked out we would have been able to hold these goods for you.
Katherine, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From 2011 to 2013 I stayed many times at Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments and always had a good experience. Yes the rooms are a little older but it was always clean, staff were friendly and the views stunning. Having stayed here again for 2 nights over Easter I can say with certainty I will not be booking again.

I booked (directly on the phone, not through a discount web service) a 2 Bed 2 Bath apartment and I specifically booked the Marina View apartments. I have always made this request previously as the rooms are a little bigger, I prefer the outside area and the car park at Marina View is suitable for my 4WD. When booking I was informed that there was no water view apartments available only standard view, I had no issues with this as long as it was a 2 bed 2 bath and it was in the Marina View side.

Upon check-in the receptionist informed me that I was not in Marina view but in the main building above reception. I informed her that I had specially booked next door and that it had been confirmed on the phone when making the booking. I was advised that they were fully booked and the room allocated to me was the only one available.

At this stage, whilst I was unhappy I tried to make the best of it and went to park my car. There was no room in the car park for my vehicle and it was so small I couldn't even turn around and had to reverse out to then park in the rear car park. Once parked and unpacked we tried to access the building but all doors were locked, after a phone call to reception and being provided with a door code I went up to the room. The room would have been fine but it only had one small bathroom, I had booked a 2 bath apartment. I returned to reception to complain, I was told "there is no point in getting upset about it, that's the only room we have". I asked to speak to the manager as this was not what I had booked but was told that he was not on site and there was nothing she could do. Quite frustrated by now I requested that she get her manager on the phone to sort the issue out, reluctantly she called him and after keeping me waiting for another 10 minutes miraculously found a room in Marina view that had 2 bathrooms, she said that it needed cleaning but that the manager was there and it would be ready in a few minutes. I was issued with a new key and an electronic tag to get me into the car park.

We drove around and into the car park but had difficulty finding the allocated space for the room. It would appear that the car park had 2 levels and we were on the wrong level (would have been nice to have been given some directions), I drove up to the gate and presented the electronic key to open it but surprise surprise the key was dead and we were stuck in the car park, the key also was the only way to access the lobby so we couldn't get out. I called reception again and the receptionist said that she would come round and open up the gate. We waited another 15 minutes and she did not appear. Luckily another guest came to leave and opened up the gates for us, we parked up again and took out luggage up to the second apartment.

If the manager had been up there giving the room a quick clean he seemed to have missed the open man hole in the ceiling and the step ladders in the shower that was filled with water. I again called reception to advise that there were ladders in the shower and it looked like maintenance was taking place. She said that someone would come and remove them. After getting settled in my partner turned on the AC in the bedroom, it was getting late and we wanted to get ready to go out but it was not to be, the AC was leaking and dripping very loudly on the floor creating quite a puddle. I called reception again and advised them of the problem.

We were eventually move again, back to the original building to a one bed apartment with an adjoining room and whilst the room was tired and a quite grubby the view was nice and it had 2 bathrooms, it would have to do and having started the check-in process 2 and a half hours earlier we just wanted the nightmare to end.

When I next passed reception (moving my luggage for the 5th time) I requested the manager call my mobile (as he was off site again) to discuss how we could be compensated for all of the inconvenience. He did call but refused to offer any compensation for the nearly 3 hours of our wasted time. He was rude arrogant and I got the distinct impression that he was annoyed I had disturbed his time off. He advised me that he had done us a favour as we were in a better room than the one we had booked. I explained that he had not done us a favour but that we were now in a room that had what I booked, 2 bathrooms! Unable to get any resolution, or even an apology for the inconvenience I asked for his managers details. He refused to give me any details and said I should email the apartments email address. I asked if this email would be going to him or his manager and he advised that it would go him. Astonished I asked again but again he refused. I ended the call even more frustrated.

I went down again to reception to ask for his managers details but the receptionist advised that her manager had just called her and told her not to give any details out. She was only allowed to give me the generic email address and phone number that would go to the manager I had been speaking with.

All in all the experience was terrible, the room we ended up in whilst big enough and with 2 bathrooms was dirty, mouldy and in a poor state of repair with damaged bathroom tiles and fittings. After trying to get to sleep on a very lumpy bed I moved the mattress off to find an old wine bag tucked under the bed, disgusting! The staff are unwilling or unable to help and the manager extremely rude. I will not be staying here again and would certainly not recommend these apartments to anyone.

I understand there is a function on Trip Advisor for the manager of a premises to reply. If you do Shane would you be kind enough to provide your line managers contact details so I can complain to them too.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't book here!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Brunswick East, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I recently stayed at this resort on our way back home and what a great choice we made. Located right on the marina and walking distance to the nearby restaurants. The kids loved watching the boats from our room as we overlooked the marina. The apartments a quite spacious and have everything you need to be comfotable not to mention it was very clean as my wife likes to inspect with a fine tooth comb she could not fault it at all. Staff were also very helpful and you can set hey take pride in their resort.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Hi Brian L,
Thanks for your review and great feedback. It is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Cullen Bay Resorts. Whether it is good or bad feedback we appreciate it either way as it allows us to grow and improve on our service and what we have to offer at Cullen Bay Resorts. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cullen Bay Resorts in the near future.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here as it was recommended by a friend and I was immediately impressed with the marina views as I am a big fan of sailing boats. My room overlooked the marina so in my opinion I had the best view in the resort. Upon arrival I found the staff very professional, helpful and obliging with my requests as it was my first time in Darwin. The apartment was spacious, clean and all in all a comfortable for my stay. The location was spot on. Only a few minutes walk to some excellent restaurants with great atmosphere and not too far away from the casino. If travelling to Darwin, this resort is definitely worth staying at for convenience, comfort and spectacular views.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Hi Martin B,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the resort and we will certainly pass this onto our staff. We also look forward to welcoming you back to Cullen Bay Resorts in the near future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

Stayed for a week in a fifth floor 1 bedroom apartment which was comfortable but needs updating. Views from the balcony are superb. Check in at midnight was no problem as they have 24 hour reception. The room was serviced once during the week. Clean towels and extra tea, coffee and toilet rolls were available from reception. Staff were very friendly and efficient. Location is great with walking distance to restaurants and the Casino. There is a limited bus service to the city, but taxis are always available or hire a car.

Room Tip: Rooms 4th Floor & above overlooking the Marina offer best views
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi Trevor S,

Thanks for your review. It has provided some great information for fellow travellers. We do understand that some of our units are a little tired and we are working with our owners to improve all our rooms to ensure that the meet current market expectations and so our guests enjoy their stays with us time and time again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cullen Bay Resorts sometime in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

We are currently staying here whilst waiting for our keys for our new house. Its now going into day 3 of our stay and Im yet to see any servicing in regards to serviced apartments grrrr. The apartment is comfortable clean (at mo by my own hands) and has fantastic views. The pool here is well maintained great for the little one. One thing Im impressed with is the water pressure. Apart from the cleaners the reception staff are very friendly and you get a lovely view of the harbour as well as an amazing sleep in a comfortable bed.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Hi Francis M,

Thanks for your feeback. Unfortunately each room type has different servicing arrangements. Our hotel rooms are serviced daily however as our one and two bedroom apartments are fully equipped with washing machines and dryers our apartments are serviced weekly when staying seven nights or more. We are updating our compendiums to ensure this information is available to all guests in the rooms. We hope you are enjoying living in your new house and looking forward to the beautiful dry season in Darwin. Despite the lack of servicing we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Erin & Shayne

Been to Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!