“One of the best of little-known sites in Darwin” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 41 attractions in Darwin
Attraction Details
Darwin, Australia
“One of the best of little-known sites in Darwin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Darwin Chinese Temple is not restricted to Taoists. It is in fact shared by Buddhists, Taoists and Confucius followers. Chinese people from mainland China, Hong Kong, Timor and Taiwan regularly attend this Temple and a full year of celebrations is carried out. You do have to be on hand at the right times to participate in the different feasts and events. The beginning of the year is an exhausting period of shop blessings involving at least four teams of lion dancers and over 100 members of the Chung Wah Society. Next most known is the Moon Festival. Little known events like the Feast of the Hungry Ghosts occur during the year.
Unfortunately the Chinese Museum suffers from a shortage of volunteers. They are unpaid and usually retirees. It is well worth contacting the Museum Co-ordinator to find out when the Museum is open because it is a wonderful record of the Chinese contribution to Darwin, the NT and Australia in the fields of agriculture, building, mining and railway making. Also notable is the Chinese contributions to the Australian armed forces despite the prejudice which had to be overcome by the Chinese right up to the mid-1950's. It is sad that Darwin's Chinatown was demolished, not by the Japanese, but by the Australian troops under the orders of the Curtin wartime Government.

Visited November 2012

Port Lincoln
7 attraction reviews
“A Snapshot of Chinese Heritage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The museum is manned by volunteers, we were greeted by a friendly lady who walked us through the Museum and gave us a brief insight into the history of the Chinese people in Darwin. Worth having a look and discovering the contribution made by these hard working people. The Temple is modest with worshippers coming and going throughout the day.

Visited September 2013
Geraldton, Australia
157 attraction reviews
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

As per another reviewer I didn't get to see the museum. But the temple itself is OK. Not the sort of thing a genuine tourist would bother with being a fairly non-descript temple tucked away on what feels like a backstreet of the city. But for those living in Darwin it may fill up 20 minutes or so and put another tick in a box.

Visited October 2012
Canberra, Australia
75 attraction reviews
“Average Taoist Temple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

When I arrived at the Chung Wah Temple I proceeded first to the museum section, which is a separate building. As I walked towards the building an Australian man walked out of the museum and asked if I was heading to the museum. I replied that I was, whereupon he said it was closed. Although I didn’t know it until I arrived at the museum, it closed at 2.00pm. I checked my watch and found it was 7 minutes to 2.00pm. I remarked that it wasn’t 2.00pm yet and that I had at least 7 minutes to see the museum. The man said that he was only a volunteer there and that he had closed the museum but if I really insisted he would reluctantly open it. He was so negative that I declined to see the museum. I then proceeded into the temple. It is a basic Taoist Temple and while I was looking around a Chinese man entered the temple and he was very friendly and answered all my questions. He said there are approximately 200 Taoist families in Darwin. The temple was destroyed during Cyclone Tracy and so has been completely rebuilt since December 1974. The man pointed to 2 cement blocks on the floor and explained that they were all that remained of the temple after Cyclone Tracy. He said of the destruction of the temple during Cyclone Tracy that it ‘was gone with the wind.’ Very good – ha ha. It is not a must see in Darwin but worth a look if a person is interested in Chinese temples.

Visited August 2013