“Great service, great food and great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Verandah

The Verandah
Tipperary Waters Marina | 10/90 Frances Bay Drive, Darwin, Northern Territory 0812, Australia
8 89812281
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #84 of 248 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Great service, great food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love this place. The service was amazing and when we sat down they came out with a noiseless electronic mosquito repellent and put it under our table which was a great touch as I have been eaten alive when dinning outside in the past. The menu is not huge but caters to all tastes and the wine list was very good. The waitress was knowledgeable when it came to both the menu, specials and the wine and was able to recommend a wine which was just delicious. The food was amazing, I am not someone who takes photos of what I eat but I was very tempted to on this occasion as it was presented so well. I had the chicken and my husband had the pasta both had great flavors and were of a good size, Highly recommend this place

Darwin
“Will get me again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had our first visit to the verandah last night, certainly not the worst feed you will ever have. Tempura oysters and scallops both lovely(not sure why the scallops have the row on still though) my wife had the pappardelle pasta, way too much cream sauce and a little bland to be honest, I had the crusted chicken which was pretty impressive but is basically a flash chicken schnitzel. Desert was ok, bill was $189 with a $40 bottle of wine and a few beers which seemed fair to me. Will try it again this week, it will be a great place to drink the afternoon away

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cairns, Australia
“Picturesque, amazing food, and staff with a personal touch... what more do you want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and i live near the marina and we feel so lucky to have this little gem a few steps away. We've been a few times since they opened. Tonight we took my husband's parents - they're visiting and they've tried most everything in Darwin. Verandah did not disappoint.

Firstly - I have to say, I love this restaurant because of the atmosphere and the scenery. You're sitting on tables perched right on the water - at night, the reflection of the boats, the moon, and the lighting in the marina is just so romantic!

The service tonight was great. An Irish lady served us, she was knowledgeable about the specials and was able to talk confidently about the wine menu.. that's rare in Darwin! she was also quick to clear our plates and was friendly right to the end.

Now the food - we had the taster entree - tempura scallops are a 10/10! We also tried the chicken entree and the creamy prawns. delicious and cooked to perfection.

For a main - my husband had the barramundi.. you would need an entree to start if you order this, its not a huge portion for a dinner for a man. I ordered the risotto. Admittingly, too creamy tonight... but Im willing to give the chef another shot on that one. Im not vegetarian, but love ordering vegetarian when I eat out - so there were about 4 dinner options for me, so that's always a bonus. My mother-in-law ordered more entrees for her main, and she loved them all.

Now the wine -that's a treat because the owner seems quite passionate about his selection on offer.. do try the dessert wine by the glass.. its a unique way to end the dinner.

Coffee - one sip will tell any coffee connoisseur that this is high quality beans. It was so good, I plan on having more coffee + newspaper moments there on the weekends.

Desserts, We've had them all except for the lime thingy. There ginger creme brulee is done just right.. the glass on top of that brulee is perfect! Second favourite - the choc strawberry mousse!
Im a chocolate lover, so ive also tried the chocolate tarts.. they are great for sharing, they're served as several little tarts, very cute.

So overall, its a romantic gorgeous place to dine, water views, great wine selection, delicious food, divine coffee, and lovely desserts... so we recommend it. We'll keep going there for quiet romantic nights and when friends/family are in town... quite happy we've got a winner right next door!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Darwin, Australia
“Candidate for best fish & chips Darwin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

With The Verandah now open for lunch Monday to Saturday 12 - 2pm, gorgeous Dry Season days call for a fish & chip lunch (with of course a glass of bubbly). Along with Eggs Benedict, I maintain a search for great fish and chips and these definately ticked all the boxes. Tempura battered snapper (you could opt for barra) was light, crispy and perfectly cooked. Accompanied with chunky crisp fries, fresh salad and the Chef's homemade tartare sauce, well worth $15.00.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Darwin, Australia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Dry Season in Darwin is perfect for outdoor dining and there are many places to go to enjoy dining whilst taking in the beautiful weather this time of year affords. A new restaurant in town is located at Francis Bay, just a kilometre south-east of the Wharf Precinct.

The Verandah is positioned above a Marina and the location alone is enough to provide for a perfect evening. However, it was the food and service that was the most impressive. The menu is not spilling over with an abundance of items, however, the choices provide adequate variety. Three of us chose to share entrees and all were cooked to perfection. Our mains were delivered on time and my Eye Fillet was cooked to my specification. It could not have been better. The flesh melted in my mouth. For Dessert, we simply chose the Cheese Plater though there were plenty of alternative options. Again, the variety of cheeses was good and the Stilton in particular was amazing. The wine list is satisfactory in choice and not particularly marked up in price. The service was attentive withut being overbearing. This was my second visit and I am very much looking forward to my third.

• Visited July 2013