“Excellent choice for Darwin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Darwin

You added Hilton Darwin to your Saves list
Hilton Darwin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32 Mitchell Street, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent choice for Darwin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had a very enjoyable 4 days at the Hilton Darwin. Even though it was the rainy season, we were in the centre of town and able to have easy access to transport, shops and restaurants. We did not bother with the $30.00 breakfast as there are many other places to get a coffee or breakfast nearby. We had a large room on the 20t floor with a view of the water where we could watch the storms approaching across the bay. Our room had 2 large windows, king size bed, comfortable furnishings and bathroom with bath beautiful shampoo, conditioner, soaps etc replenished every day. Bathrobes, slippers, ironing board, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities were included and it was good to have a coffee in our room before we went out in the morning. The room was large, very quiet and extremely comfortable. We used the new very modern gym each morning and the pool when it was not too windy and wet.. The staff were always friendly, polite and helpful.

Room Tip: A water view room on a high floor. Great view, no noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HHA3004, General Manager at Hilton Darwin, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear minoumex

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the great views from the 20th floor and made use of our new fitness facility.

Your positive comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Kind regards Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Arrived mid-afternoon to the sound of jack-hammers and wondered what was going on.
No hope of doing any work in the room due to the volume of noise. I headed down to the "business centre" to find it consisted of a couple of PC's and very little work space. Just the bench the PC sits on. This area is not in a separate room but adjoins the hotel lobby so is quite open. Again not conducive to getting any work done.

I heard from other guests there were renovations happening but I was given no information on check-in. When I made inquiries at reception I was advised the work started each day after 9am but this was not so. There was noise from the workers around 7.15am the very next morning and before 7.00am the following morning! (not jack-hammers but sounded like tile work being done with lots of tapping - so annoying when you are trying to sleep).

There was also coughing noise constantly coming through the doorway of the adjoinging room next door from some poor people suffering a bad cold/flu of some sort. So if you need your sleep ask for a room without an interconnecting door as they don't seem very soundproof.

Suggest you make inquiries as to the situation with the renovations before you book and get firm details of start/finish times.

Room Tip: As far away from the renovations as possible.
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HHA3004, General Manager at Hilton Darwin, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear perthdweller

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that you were disturbed by the noise created by the workers renovating our bedrooms. We have chosen the hours of 10 am until 5 pm as the time for the use of pneumatic tools as this seems to be the time the majority of our guests are either at work or on day tours. Regrettably there is never a perfect time and we offer the business centre or our Executive Lounge as alternate areas of work.

We appreciate our work to improve the quality of our bedrooms can be disruptive however I hope you can bear with us over the next few weeks as we carry out this work which should be completed by April.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope we will be able to welcome you back on a future occasion and be able to show you our new rooms.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

An excellent hotel and large room with a view of the water. Bright with 2 large windows, king size bed, comfortable furnishings and bathroom with bath and all the accessories necessary for a comfortable stay. Bathrobes, slippers, ironing board, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities were included. The room was large, very quiet and extremely comfortable. It is close to all the shops, bus stops, cafes and restaurants. The staff were friendly and helpful and I can fully recommend the Hilton Darwin.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear MinouDjo

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the wonderful view from our 20th floor. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed two separate nights at the hotel. They were extremely accommodating as we spent one night in Kakadu and they allowed us to leave our luggage at the hotel for our return. Although I didn't get the same room for each night, my bags were moved and each room overlooked the pool. Rooms were a good size with king sized bed. Wi-Fi was available for free only in the lobby for a limited time. I was particularly impressed by the staff in the breakfast area. They were very polite and welcoming. One of the waiters even welcomed me back on my return from Kakadu.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
HHA3004, General Manager at Hilton Darwin, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear LJV1515

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on both occasions and in particular that our breakfast team assisted you.

Your positve feedback is appreciated.

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband and I had breakfast at the Darwin Hilton on Mitchell St. It cost $30 each for full breakfast and although there was a good choice of food the quality of the food was very average.
The plate earners for the hot food were not on yet the plates for the cold fruit were hot.
The American bacon was very nice however everything else in the hot food section was awful.
Service was very slow, didn't take plates, couldn't get a second cup of coffee.
We won't be going back

Stayed February 2014
Dear Alison F

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to read that our breakfast did not meet your expectations. Please be assured we will review your comments with the team and ensure we make improvements.

Thanks and regards

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The service at this hotel was exceptional. It is well located and the breakfast included at the executive lounge is great, as are the drinks at 5.30. The room are comfortable and clean and the bar and restaurant down stairs were terrific.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Josephine W

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular enjoyed the benefits of the Executive lounge which is unique in the Darwin hotels.

Your positive feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I knew that Hilton took over this hotel because at the beginning of 2013 I had an email from Crowne Plaza (previous owners). I has also read some pretty scathing reviews, hence my title for this review.

We took the late night flight down from Singapore with Silkair (excellent flight and attendants, by the way), as a result we had a 2 a.m. touch down and arrived at a locked and darkened hotel about an hour later. I lifted the receiver of the wall phone by the door as instructed on the panel and, ABRACADABRA!, the glass doors slid silently open and the lights at reception came on. Out came the 2 charming night receptionists who soon had us checked in and on our way to our room.

We had a very pleasant stay for a few days before we went South on the Ghan. All staff were charming and helpful, breakfast was excellent with a super choice. I "tested" them with an order for poached eggs and they passed with flying colours. The restaurant food was very good indeed. the lobby is lovely.

I gather as part of Hilton's effort to bring the hotel up to speed they have flown in a new exe. chef. He certainly is getting things better, I gather.

While we were there, it is the low season as it is a time of heat, humidity and rain, the refurb was well in progress. By now the new gym should be open. I hope they deal with pool area soon. It really shows what lack of investment there had been by Crowne Plaza. The sunbeds were a disgrace. And indeed the passageways were a terrible shade of nicotine yellow.

Quite frankly IHG who own Crowne Plaza should hang their heads in shame at the condition they allowed this lovely hotel to get into. Anyway, the Hilton Express sees to have arrived with lots of TLC.

There is money to be made with an excellent 5 star hotel in this quirky City and I wish Martin Kendall and his team well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HHA3004, General Manager at Hilton Darwin, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear dshackell

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

Your detailed feedback is very much appreciated and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to report our new gym is now open and we are currently working thru a renovation programme which we hope to complete in April.

I trust that you enjoyed your trip on the Ghan one of the world's great train journeys and I hope we may have another opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Martin Kendall

Been to Hilton Darwin? Share your experiences!