“Needs a makeover but OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   116 The Esplanade, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #15 of 38 hotels in Darwin
Buderim, Australia
“Needs a makeover but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We stayed here for one night pre-tour. The hotel is close to the city centre and is located on the Esplanade. Rooms are an average size and comfortable. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and they were quite satisfactory without being memorable. Staff at reception were polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010
AndrewBayliss, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make a review.

i wish more of our guests would help me. Your comments have helped us with our Renovation plans for 116 The Esplanade.

if i can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

with best
Andrew.

483 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The decor is very, very dated with old furnishings and a very dated bathroom. That said, the room was certainly big enough for a business traveller, had decent bed, and was extremely quiet. I was lucky enough to be on level 4 where the metal "birdcage" shade thing isn't as much of an issue. In the future, I'd request level 5 or a room on the side where it's not blocking the windows at all. The location is very convenient.

The front desk staff can best be described as cluless but friendly. On checking in, I was given a key to a room with someone else's luggage still in it, but they swapped this quickly and apologised. On checking out, the rate for part of my stay was wrong, and it took a while to fix so my taxi left, but they took care of it without complaint and hailed another cab and the managed even offered to give me a ride to our offices.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Great time of year to be in Darwin.

We are just putting our refurbishment plans together and started the necesssary approval process.

Thank you for your review.

i will try and keep all our guests updated of the plans and the project critical paths.

Please do not hesitate to conatct me if i can be of any assistance with future travel..

with best
Andrew.
NSW
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Have just returned from a 5 night stay in Darwin where the locals are friendly, the weather was fantastic (we obviously were there at the right time) and there was a lot of interesting things to see and do, especially the walk around Darwin tour which I downloaded off the internet for my husband! However the week was overshadowed by our disasterous accommodation! Ah where to start! The mattress was so hard I had to request 3 mattress protectors to be put on before I could sleep, the furniture was very old and outdated with a bedside chest screwed shut, a very small old TV with snowy reception on the couple of chanels we had! As well as a loud echo whenever anyone shut their door or when the people next door flushed their Loo!

Yes I complained and was offered another room which was exactly the same bed, furniture, TVetc. So what was the point! The maintenance man came and said that all TV's were the same and apologised and assured us the Hotel was due for a make over!! No help to us. We asked to be moved to the Holiday Inn next door which had recently had a make over but was told by the reception that we couldn't swap because we booked through a travel agent!!! Only once during our week stay did anyone on reception enquire how our stay was and that was a young man named James who was in the elevator with us and was most helpful. The cleaner was also great but the reception staff were a shock, having just spent a week at the Shangila in Cairns prior to flying to Darwin, where the staff and accommodation was magnificent.

Oh well on a positive note the breakfast was great!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
GagudjuDreaming, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Dear worrier83,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Esplanade Darwin. Guest impressions of our hotel are vital in helping us provide the highest level of service to which we are committed.
I would like to assure you that the issues raised are being addressed. I am disappointed that we were unable to rectify the situation for you at the time. For any future bookings we guarentee the best rates and flexibility when you book directly through our Holiday Inn or IHG websites.

Kind Regards

Reuben Lenoir
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Friendly staff, room was clean, I would stay there again. If you use parking, make sure to ask for a free token so you don't have to pay to get out of the garage.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I was surprised at the size of the room. It had a huge bathroom/ensuite with a full bath and separate shower and then another toilet near the front door! The bedroom could be closed off to the rest of the room which is great if someone wants a sleep in. Also had a TV for the lounge and another for the bedroom area which was another bonus! For any women traveling up there, the hairdryer is just a wall mounted one which is quite weak, you may want to take your own.

I found the front desk staff to be okay, but the ladies at the buffet breakfast were delightful! Had great advice on where to visit and took a big interest in how our stay was going. And the food we had was AMAZING! Definitely recommend getting the breakfast every morning and filling up before a big day of sightseeing. It was lovely to sit at the eating area by the pool every morning, we also had a few cocktails by the pool one afternoon and after dinner one night too, just loved it, great vibe.

I personally love Darwin and the hotel was comfortable, clean and in a good location, we didn't spend much time in there but for the price it was perfect for our trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a week and found the room very old and dated and not very spacious. The bathroom is very small and the shower especially is extra small - when you shower water goes all over the bathroom floor as they only have a shower curtain.
Housekeeping needs a bit of attention as each day our room got serviced but the sheets were not changed once and they often forgot to top up our amenaties.
Breakfast was great and had a variety of options on the buffet, the restaurant staff were also excellent, it was quite busy when we stayed but they kept on top of everything.
The location of the holiday Inn Esplanade is great - it backs onto Mitchell street where all the pubs/nightclubs are. Everything in the city is in walking distance.
I proablay would not stay here again as I would look for something more modern in the area if I returned.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryvale, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I stayed with my family and spent two nights at this establishment, we were in Darwin for the wedding of my sister the reception was held at the Holiday Inn. Whilst I could not fault the event coordinator or the staff in the restaurant whom were all pleasant, the same could not be said for reception staff in particular (Prudence) who was nothing short of rude in each dealing - very disappointing. The other reception staff seemed slow and inexperienced. The decor of the hotel was very dated and the penthouse was certainly very old and could do with some updating. On the positive side Amy in events was wonderful, the housekeeping staff were very friendly and the room service was very tasty particularly the take inn menu. My advice to future travellers is no too expect the same standard of accomodation as other states in Australia.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin? Share your experiences!