“clean, friendly staff, great pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 The Esplanade, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, Australia
“clean, friendly staff, great pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The highlight of this hotel was the swimming pool for our young kids who couldn't wait to swim after coming from the cold southern Australian winter. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean - servicing of room was excellent.
There was a lot of noise outside the room because it's an atrium style hotel so we could here lobby and kitchen noise early in the morning and late at night.
We had to drive to Darwin central as it was too far down the Esplanade to walk with kids. But worth it for the pool.

Room Tip: we were on level two and heard a lot of noise from below. maybe a higher level room would be better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear sarahinsyd

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that your family enjoyed your time with us. Our pool deck is certainly one of the best in Darwin, and is a great place to soak up some sun and enjoy our glorious winter.

Thank you once again. The team and I hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.

Carey Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Look at other properties before staying here!

I have been staying at this hotel for the past 6 years, but in the past 12 months the service has certainly dropped to below an acceptable level.

During my last stay, I had no hand towels or floor mat in my bathroom, and no towels or soap in the second toilet when I arrived, spoke to the cleaning lady who could hardly speak English who advised that she would sort it out while I was downstairs.

When I returned to my room, there were 2 fresh towels, but no hand towels or floor mat, and the towels that I had just used were still on the floor

The beer in the fridge was past its best before date and tasted terrible

The room service staff were inexperienced, and did not fully understand my requests

The Front Desk staff during the day were great, as was the early morning breakfast staff

I emailed the hotel on the 1st July expressing my disappointment with my stay, but to date have not received any correspondence from the hotel.

Very Disappointed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

I apologise that your stay was not what you were hoping for and it is very disappointing to hear your comments in regards to our service. We did experience some challenges with our linen in the beginning of June, however I am pleased to advise that this has since been rectified.

Unfortunately I have not received your email, but if you would like to make contact with me, I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Bundaberg, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Wonderful, restful, peaceful, pleasant experience. Close to weekend shopping and excellent eating places and entertainment. Wished I had planned a longer stay, and will certainly consider in the future

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review EyvonneM.

I was delighted to see that your stay with us was such a wonderful one and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our team.

Thank you once again and we do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The esplanade & city centre location is great & the front desk staff are friendly & polite but honestly this is the WORST hotel I have stayed at in Darwin & for the price people should know that this is not an acceptable standard at almost $400 per night. There is so much better out there. I'm originally from Darwin & remember the Beaufort glory days but this Hilton brand has done nothing to revive an aging hotel. My room looks & feels desperately neglected - the paint & plaster is bubbling & peeling from the walls, the fittings are stained & it is very, very dusty. There is hair in the bathroom including on top of the vanity & the shower curtain is hanging by a thread. The TV has poor reception & the fridge is barely cold but the ice-box completely frozen over.

However, it is the noise from the lobby/restaurant that has proven most unbearable during my 4-night stay. The hotel acoustics and paper-thin walls make it seem as though people are right outside my door. I can even hear the bell from the elevator! Impossible to get a good night's sleep.

My company is footing the bill but they will be sure not to book employees here in future. My work trip has been extended but I am checking in to another hotel. I certainly won't stay here again. No chance.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review 194Bee_77.

I was disappointed to hear that your stay at our hotel was not an enjoyable one and I apologise that it was not what you were hoping for. I would be happy to discuss your stay with you further should you wish to make contact with me.

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel was excellent. The rooms are large with 2 double beds and a good sized bathroom. Breakfast was great with a large variety of foods. The pool was also a great asset as Darwin is always hot. We had many hours spent in or at the poolside under the beach umbrella. Doubletree Hilton is situated opposite a park overlooking Darwin harbour. It also has a back entrance to the main street of Darwin so the location is excellent. Day tours to both Kakadu and Litchfield National Park were excellent and bus picks up from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear David C

I am delighted to see that your stay with us was such an enjoyable one. It appears that you particularly enjoyed our pool deck and I agree that it is a great way to spend the day.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again when you next travel to Darwin. Remember to access our best rates guaranteed to visit doubletree.com

Gosford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

For seasoned travellers to be this disappointed is saying something. Where to start? Very aggressive, unfriendly, rude reception staff, paint peeling of walls in room, holes in walls, very poor tv reception, stains on carpet, lumpy bed, shutters falling off the window. Other than some friendly wait staff at the aqua restaurant, this was a very forgettable experience all around, for a large family booking of 3 rooms. Take my advice, don't stay here!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Pete444

I sincerely apologise for the experience that you encountered at our hotel. It is very disappointing to hear your comments and in particular about your experience at the front desk. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with your further if you would like to contact me at your convenience.

Rockhampton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The staff were amazing on the front desk. Very friendly and outgoing! The best thing going for this hotel is that it is perfectly located - far enough away from the main streets from the noise of the pubs/clubs though a quick say 10minute walk from the great area down the Waterfront where there was a heap of trendy cafe's, restuarants and bars. Otherwise a 5min walk to the CBD and mall. The rooms are definitely tired and in need of a refurb and bathroom upgrades as they are quiet old and the shower leaked and pooled on the floor which didn't have a drain. The shower curtain barely did anything! Housekeeping was a bit hit and miss. For price wise - for Darwin prices I found it to be quite reasonable though would look at paying more to stay somewhere a little more new.. Stayed here for 6nights - July 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review Angela R.

Our team at the front desk do a great job in looking after our guests and you recognising their efforts is greatly appreciated. Our location is an ideal base to situate yourself when in Darwin, close enough to all of the activities that city life has to offer, but far enough away to ensure you are able to relax and unwind.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you when you next visit The Territory.

Carey Osborne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin? Share your experiences!