“double tree by hilton darwin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   116 The Esplanade, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
“double tree by hilton darwin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the cleaning of the rooms was very average, Beds were made but stuff was left on the tables .The rest of the hotel was clean and tidy. I think the internet was very expensive $27.00 for twenty four hours We did not eat at the hotel so can not comment on it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I apologise for the lack of attention to detail by our housekeeping team. This will be addressed with our Executive Housekeeper. I am pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with the team .

Thank you once again 944paulined, it is greatly appreciated.

Carey Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Be advised there is another DoubleTree next door so be sure which one you're booking. Nice pool/outdoor bar area (good place to sit and watch it rain, which happens most every day this time of year). Our room was not handicap accessible and the bath quite small, however the staff took the bathroom door off its hinges to fit Lynn's wheelchair! That compensated somewhat for indifferent housekeeping (towels not replaced; bed not made one day). This is an older property showing its age but you can't beat the location. Somewhat limited restaurant but there are good places just out the rear entrance. February is not a good time to visit Darwin; both our scheduled tours were cancelled due to flooding in the parks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DaveinPhilly

I do apologise for the housekeeping issues that you encountered during your stay. I was so to read that after travelling such a long way to Darwin that you were not able to experience our amazing destination due to the inclement weather.

Our sister hotel next door, DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin has newly renovated bathrooms with walk in showers. If you do ever have the chance to comeback to Darwin, this property may be better suited to your needs.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you at a Hilton Worldwide hotel one day soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed at the Double Tree Esplanade and was not overly impressed, the worlds problems cannot be solved by a warm choc chip cookie! The room was a little dated, and the air conditioning system was both antiquated and less than functional. The television was a little dodgy, and the noise in the room was quite evident due to the proximity of the elevator, try and avoid a room next to the elevator otherwise you will be aware of its movements all night long. I must say though that the pool was impressive, and the staff were friendly and helpful. It would help having staff on duty that have authority to make decisions though, especially on weekends. All in all, will look for different accommodation next time, and will buy some cookies from somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Shane B

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you were hoping for. We have an Assistant Manager on duty 24 hours per day to look after our guests and I am sorry that they were not able to solve your issue for you during your stay.

Once again sincere apologies that you left with a less than positive impression, your opinions are valued. Should you decide to revisit Darwin, please do reach out to me as I would like to be able to restore your confidence in the hotel and what we strive to deliver to our guests.

dayton, ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We enjoyed this location, facing parks and the water, and backing onto Mitchell Street, a very busy retail area with many restaurants. We walked to the botanic garden and art gallery/museum from the hotel, but it was a meaningful hike.

The pool was nice after our daily excursions, and seems to be a favorite place for flight crews on sunny days, but 2 of the 3 afternoons we went there we had to wait a while for clean dry towels. The only other annoyance of this hotel was the incremental daily expense of wifi (`$30/day) - I know this is not unique for large hotels down under, but if wifi is free in the smaller hotels ....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your feedback pactricp09. It is great to see that your time with us was such an enjoyable one.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Darwin.

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Loved my stay here. Location is very central to the heart of Darwin city without the noise usually found at other central hotels from neighbouring pubs and night clubs on weekends. My stay was very quiet (housekeeping was a bit noisy, not the staff but the old trolleys they use ratteling down the hallway).
As promised room was very clean, beds comfortable and large bathroom with seperate shower.
Room was spacious and very adequate for my needs. I appreciated the seperate bath and shower instead of a shower over a tub. Room service was fast and and at last I got a caeser salad that actually resembled a caeser salad. It was very good. Staff at check in were the friendliest I've experienced in Darwin and the welcome warm cookie on arrival was a very nice unique touch (until I read it contained 30g of fat). I know this hotel has just been taken over by Doubletree Hilton from Holiday Inn so hope some modernisation is in the plan. Hallway carpets on my floor were very worn (floor 2) and the hallway walls are very plain. Other than that I couldn't fault it. I have stayed many times at the "Hilton" (ex Crowne Plaza) and I found this hotel to be a better property.

One point of confusion which I also noticed when it was Holiday Inn is the confusion between this hotel Doubletree Darwin Esplanade and Doubletree Darwin which is almost next door. Even upon check out there were guests trying to check into the wrong hotel. I thought you might have got this better identified with the rebranding.

Excellent location. Rooms are very good but will need an update very soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andy Oz

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us and found our team to be friendly.

Once again, thank you and the team and I hope to be able to welcome you back to us one day soon.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Checked in and was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite on the top floor - which was great - but then found pubic hairs on the toilet seat and in the bathtub. The bed looked like someone had had a lie down in it after making it and the bedsheets were dirty. The mattress was also old and uncomfortable. The windows were filty and there was what looked like a footprint on the mirror in the living room and the interior of the hotel in general looked like it had not been upgraded or refurbished since the early 70's. I would not recommend this hotel and will certainly not be staying there again. Most annoying was that on check out when I raised the clanliness issue all I was told was that the matter would be raised to maintenance and that "this was not according to the maintenance policy" to which I only have to say I certainly hope not

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Johan A

Thank you for your comments and I sincerley apologise for the issues that you not only encountered during your stay, but the way the matter was dealt with by our team.

I believe that our Front Office Manager has since been in touch with today once we received your feedback. I apologise that this issue was not resolved to your satisfaction prior to your departure.

Once again, please accept our apologies and we hope to welcome you back to a Hilton Worldwide property one day soon.

Wauchope, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We were really impressed with Darwin and the people of Darwin, you have a wonderful life style and a lovely clean city. The gentleman who drove the bus for our tour to Litchfield National Park Florence Falls, Wongi Falls then a very nice lunch at the Bunya Cafe, on to Toomar Falls and Buley Rock Pool made the experience most enjoyable he imparted so much information and history of NT , I loved his sense of humour. Would recommend to do the NT experience to anyone who will listen.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

The team and I are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Top End and got to experience some of the unique wonders of our region.

We hope to see you again soon.

Carey Osborne

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin? Share your experiences!