This hotel used to be the old Holiday Inn Esplanade and only recently changed over to DoubleTree by Hilton.
- Friendly and efficient staff
- Great location
- Free underground parking
- Room wasn't as updated as expected
- Upstairs aircon not working properly
- Water temp in shower not constant
Reservation and check-in:
Excellent experience booking over the phone. It sounded like a call center (not through the actual hotel) which I was dreading at first but the gentleman was fantastic. Asked about preferences for room location and even if we were visiting for a special occasion (even though we weren't). Check-in experience was also very good and efficient. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only negative was that we weren't told about needing tokens to exit the carpark, which caused inconvenience the next day when we tried to leave.
We stayed in a King Loft as it was only an extra $20p.n from the king room. Was away from the lift and on 5th floor. It was quite a walk to the room - away from the lift definitely means away from the lift. The room itself was ok. Not as updated as I expected from a 'new' hotel since it has only just been taken over by Hilton. The decor looked old, especially the couches downstairs, the valance on the bed and the crooked lampshades.
The novelty of the loft was quite nice though, with bed and bathroom upstairs and 'living area' and 2nd toilet/sink downstairs. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.
The wooden slat blinds look good but let way too much light in in the morning. I thought someone had come in and turned all the lamps on at 7am! There are no curtains, so there is nothing that can be done.
Aircon upstairs didn't work properly and the shower temperature fluctuated. We were only there 2 nights so did not bother reporting it, but it made for a warm night's sleep and not an enjoyable shower.
Excellent. On the Esplanade, right across the road from the park. Located within the convention centre so can walk straight through to Mitchell St. Several restaurants very close by, including Hanuman in the same centre which has amazing Thai/Indian food and an Asian restaurant across the road. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to everything else. Saying that, this is the same for any of the hotels along the Esplanade.
Overall, was happy enough with the hotel. The service was probably the standout, as the room was underwhelming even though it was $280 p.n. Maybe the other facilites that we didn't use would make up for it and make it worth the extra $$.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Esplanade Darwin is in the perfect location to enjoy stunning parkland with ocean views, and the excitement of Darwins most vibrant location, Mitchell Street.DoubleTree by Hilton Esplanade Darwin is well known for its large outdoor pool and bar that many visitors like to spend a couple of hours around in the tropical climate. Free Parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.