“Sleeptightdontletthebedbugsbite#” 1 of 5 stars

27 Lindsay St, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800, Australia   |
Ranked #32 of 39 Specialty lodging in Darwin
“Sleeptightdontletthebedbugsbite#”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

I booked in to this hostel for 6 nights, and after travelling for almost 19 months. . I would, hands down, say this is possibly the worst hostel I have ever stayed in.

I was greeted my a receptionist, mouth full of food (give your staff a break to eat, please! It was not pretty) who when I asked had any rooms, I got the reply 'no' and stared at blankly. Customer service? I think not. I then proceeded to ask when they did have rooms available; I should have never of bothered!!

I came back 2 days later, to be given the 'posh room' as the other guests called it. Posh. . Hahaha. It was gross. I have ants crawling all over my floor from under the door, that has a massive gap between door and ground, baby cockroaches in the sink, a shower, that one morning, didn't bother giving me any water, a fridge full of mould, and a fan that looks like it's not been cleaned for a decade. (also, your cleaners should check behind the tvs/fridges, don't know what you'll find.) also, an Irish guy with bedbugs did not do anything for the rep:)

The night manager one night, decided at ten to ten (cowboy timeeee) to tell me to turn my music down as it was late. (although the signs on the door say 11, I accepted) Yet my music in MY OWN 'POSH ROOM' was only this loud as the music in the hostel was overpowering ours. And also, the previous 2 nights, I had been kept up by the hostels music!

We went out to escape this place, and upon returning, the hostel was as lively as ever, with the night manager sitting with the guests making all the noise.

We paid better money for a 'better room'. . But all in all. . It was gross.
I hope this helps anyone else looking for at least a decent hostel in Darwin. . To stay clear. It's a hole:)

I look forward to your response (hmm hmm, excuse) to this:)

• Stayed July 2012

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

we checked in for a week but left after two nights, so noisy, dirty and we didnt get refunded for any of the nights we had paid for. Basically avoid like the plague!

• Stayed June 2012
Humpty Doo, NT, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed here for a week waiting for keys to a house (well almost, I had to leave I didn't even bother with a refund). On numerous occasions the manager would come out and yell at everyone and I mean scream. Then one night she proceeded to get drunk and get it on with an Irish gentleman who was stealing other guests alcohol. The kitchen is filthy. I cleaned it before I would even eat in there, from my own crockery and cutlery. I wouldn't eat from anything in the kitchen even though I did all the dishes at least twice. I had a coffee mug and a camp chair stolen, worth about $100.00. Every night there are exceptionally loud parties, the walls are paper thin so, no sleep. The police turned up to break up physical fights four nights in a row. Staying there I was scared, angry, tired and felt threatened by the staff. This place offers you a taste of the worst of humanity.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Frogshollow, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Hi there ,

My name is Chelsea and I am sory your stay was not what you had hoped for. we are a backpackers and do cater for that niche group who prefer a bit of music then the quiet book , but I am still sry that your stay was not a happy one. We would recomend a hotel in the future. As Backpackers can be a bit roudy and our self catering kitchen means you can have six or seven 19year olds creating noodle masterpieces in the kitchen. So I agree it can get messy but it gets cleaned. It just gets so messy so quick at meal times it can seem like it is endless.

Our Manager does not drink on site and has a family in Darwin, so does not engage in drinking with the guests, so i think you have mistaken a guest for a staff member. As there is no manager on duty at night - our office is closed from 8pm. Our staff go home and like alot of boarding homes /hostels the guests have there privacy.

I hope that you have since found your normal accommodation in Darwin and I hope that your stay in the territory is wonderful as it is full of all different things to see and do.

Thankyou for your review we believe each review has merits and we do not encourage good ones or dismiss the bad ones. As a new traveler reading this review I hope that you can decide if frogs sounds like a place of interest or if it does not suit your needs. As it is true that frogs can be full of young travellers.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

This place is the pits, horrible dirty smelly . Our double private room is damp throughout, After one night here all our belongings are damp throughout. Even the mattress is damp . Kitchen and bathroom facilites are also terrible and unbelievably dirty.I feel ill just walking in the kitchen.The pool well what can i say, i wouldnt even use it as a toilet! , i dread to think whats breeding in the waters Never again.can`t wait to get out of here tomorrow. Stay here at your own peril.

If i marked it 1-10 this hostel from hell would be minus20!!!!!

Room Tip: There is no good room at this hell hole!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed there for a long time 2x3weeks. Most of people are there for a long stay. So everybody knows everybody. It's like a family atmosphere. But this hostel looks dirty even if people are cleaning everyday. The kitchen closed at 9.30pm which is way too early. There no wifi.
The pool is really cool and location too, just 3min from the supermarket.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Thankyou for your review,

we are indeed a place where most people choose to stay a few weeks and others a month or so. I am glad we could be there for you.
Oh and we now have wifi availiable for your devices - just chat to the reception desk for a key and pay the weekly wifi or daily wifi price. It is a very secure wifi so does not appear to prompt for a password. Sory for that.
I hope you are keeping intouch with all the friends you made at frogs. Remember our facebook page is a good way to find your mates and remember you are welcome to upload any current pics you have of your stay at frogs.
Chumphon, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

What can I say about Frogs? I had first heard about it in my Footprint Australia guide book. It was the only hostel that received a five star rating. First let me exclaim: this is a Laid Back hostel. There is nothing fancy here, and that's why I fell in love with it. I had also been told to stay at Frogs by my travel companions on the way to Darwin. When I arrived the office was closed but they opened up and booked me anyway. I didn't have a credit card handy and they booked me anyway and told me to pay them in the morning. I found work in Darwin and stayed at Frogs for several more weeks.. here is why:

Frogs is just big enough to have a solid amount of people but not so big they drive you nuts and it has a cozy atmosphere to it since it is surrounded by a canopy of trees. I think the place used to be a hotel I'm not sure. It has two floors and it is just one long building. There is a pool in the back which is under the trees and there are two small pools (I think they should be hot tubs but they aren't hot and plus it was already hot in Darwin so we didn't want hot water in them). You get to know everyone. Frogs doesn't have a ton of rules. You can bring your own alcohol in and out and people have a social gathering on the back tables every night. There are cards and music and its just a light hearted gathering. It's not incredibly loud at night either and that is awesome so there is the best of both worlds because they will ask you to keep it down if you are drunk and loud. The kitchen is reasonable and they have some pots and pans. What I love the most is that they don't throw things out and they have a lost and found. If food is left at the hostel they put it out for the community to use. They also have a huge lost and found in the front which most hostels just throw stuff out. They have a book exchange as well and a computer to use the internet which was free when I went (although it did have a slot to pay and everyone said that it was broken so it was free at the time). They have large industrial fridge space so there is room for everyone's food. The showers were great and cleaned every day. They do not help you find work so don't believe that. They have a notice board and I know several people who worked at the hostel for free accommodation. I have been traveling alone and when I got to Frogs I immediately made a "family" of friends. It's a little bit out of the main drag which is great because it adds to its personality as a hidden gem. Most people don't even know its there. Frogs grew on me quickly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in an 8 bed dorm. We had booked before and said we were arriving at night. When we got there it was teeming with people and the reception was shut, so after a while we found the night person and eventually got to our room. They could've said you have to do this this and this on the email! The room was dirty with thick dust and lots of big cobwebs, there's not enough space for everyone to put there bags and the outside balcony areas are filled with cigarette butts and broken beer bottles and hair! The bathroom is really bad again hair everywhere, showers not working and very mouldy. The kitchen is a box of rubbish and very messy and the lounge area just smells! We didn't see any cleaners and the receptionist was always in a bad mood.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Frogshollow? Share your experiences!