“Really Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Skycity Darwin

You added Skycity Darwin to your Saves list
Skycity Darwin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gilruth Avenue | The Gardens, Darwin, Northern Territory 0801, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, Australia
“Really Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I travel to Darwin on business a couple of times a year and Skycity is really really good! Staff are excellent, extremely friendly and couldn't be more helpful if they tried - Awesome service! Rooms are good too and the hotel feels almost like an Island resort. It is on my list to stay here on a Holiday soon! You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear chrismac_85,

Thanks for taking the time to provide some great feedback on your recent stay. I will pass on your remarks about the great service you received to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin soon for some rest and relaxation!

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Bronte, Sydney, NSW, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Recommend to families and with young children and teens.
Dont stay in the old part of Skycity with the small pool and casino, I stayed there in 2006 and regretted it. Stay in the new lagoon pool suites.
The room is 5 plus stars in my opinion.
Attention to detail, new, modern and your private entry to the lagoon pool.
Room 512 is quiet and shady (need shade!).
Room 617 has a view of of the ocean (baffles me why all the others face the pool? cyclone protection?) but this room does you do not directly access the pool as on 1st floor not pool level.
I was glad to have the view across the lagoon pool and have the direct swim-out access from my room instead.
Stayed in April and swam morning, late afternoon and after dinner (I feel the cold but the pool temp was perfect for me even in the evenings - loved it).
Teenager happy with free wifi in the room as was I.
Took me till the 3rd night to discover a restaurant in the resort called Il Piatto (Italian modern) as it was via the casino (you can avoid this walking from your room via the beach).

Il Piatto was an amazing discovery, I am not exaggerating, I had some of the best food her I've had in all my travels around Australia and indeed the world. My fussy teenager devoured the local fish of the day. Amazingly fresh everything, world class seafood, presentation so artistic you didn't want to tuck in and destroy the 'display'. Drooling dessert . And the bill a happy surprise, very reasonable for the quality, cheaper than a average restaurant in Sydney and the portion side was not tiny.

The bus into town was unreliable at times so I used a mix of taxi and public transport. Note. the cab drivers on 2 out of my 7 trips tried to take me the 'long way' around or not start the meter and guestimate at the end of the trip. Once I realised this I told them a specific street to drop me in town and made note if the meter was on before my journey. It helps to have google maps live on your phone so you can track where you are and where you're going. Every other trip by cab was friendly and pleasant with the drivers a wealth of local knowledge.

Do go and see the local croc aquarium in the middle of the town centre, amazing, handy and you get to touch smaller reptiles and hold them too.

Dont go and see the Darwin Zoo - I was shocked and disgusted at 1/ the price 2/ the run down facilities 3/ the poor conditions and the way the animals were housed and treated 4/ the laziness of those that ran it and 5/ the revolting deep fry food on offer for lunch. My teen and i caught 2 buses and walked to get there and wished we'd stayed at the hotel. Do go to Australia Zoo in contrast if you're ever in Queensland - that was worth every cent.

Do go to the Wharf Precinct often and enjoy the short historical walk from the CBD down to the wharf - a beautiful transformation and the cheapest wave pool and teen entertainment ($4.50 i think for 1/2 day - but we were worn out in 2 hours).

At the resort my teen did no kids activities
I didnt use the spa facilities at the resort - I went for a reflexology massage off the main mall in the CBD for 1/3 of the price and twice as long.

Room Tip: Choose one with shade. 512 was quiet and shady
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear mini441,

Thank you for your great review of your stay earlier this year. It certainly sounds like you were able to take full advantage of our lovely dry season weather in our amazing lagoon pool and surrounds as well as experiencing some of Darwin’s great tourist attractions.

I will pass on your wonderful feedback about il Piatto to the team, they will be delighted to hear it.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

If I had to be honest I would start by saying that this place is way too expensive considering it’s rather remote location from Darwin Centre. But let’s take away the price alone, as this isn’t a concern for everyone.

This SkyCity Hotel is a beautiful hotel in Darwin. I stayed in one of the newer Lagoon rooms on the top story (2). If the water was a bit deeper, I could jump off my balcony straight into the water, but it’s a lagoon, not a diving platform. There is also another pool which is featured in most of the Casino propaganda but I didn’t bother to check this pool out found on the other side of the complex. The Lagoon was sublime and often I was the only one swimming in it of an afternoon or evening, also has a pool bar connected to it.

The room was awesome with huge bathroom, electronic “do not disturb” and “Service my room” signage. Excellent toiletries including and air conditioning which is probably making a huge hole in the ozone above Darwin, but it works well considering the tropical humidity, it’s so needed. My room was a decent walk from the reception are, which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t Darwin, but you can live with it. If I was elderly or had lots of luggage, I would ask the concierge to drive me by buggy to my room – but you can walk slowly and make it.

Room service meals in the room, is like adding $15 to what I consider the normal Sydney main price average. The Hotel is part of the Casino which is great as it has plenty of restaurants, but I was caught out one Saturday evening with no booking and hence nowhere to eat. The city is a $10 taxi ride and not worth it when all you want to do is grab a bite to eat. There is a free shuttle service for guests, but this runs three times per day and not in the evenings. I ended up eating party pies and chips which tastes like it was in the bane maire since last night. I do find it strange you can enter the casino in thongs and stubbies, but hey to each his own, and when in Rome, where sandals or something.

Reception was fine, though they took an eternity to check me out. I am still not convinced that they added my QANTAS card to my booking, so I can get the Qantas Frequent Flyer points.
Otherwise I just needed directions for to the around the hotel. Breakfast was just reasonable at $17 but really you don’t have that many other options unless you go into town. Grabbing a sandwich and coffee in the Casino set me back $11 anyway.

Fantastic Hotel and really has that full resort feel. A little on the pricey side and if you just want a cheaper room in Darwin, look for a Hotel in the Darwin Centre for a 3rd or 4th of the price. You do get what you pay for and it was sublime. Biggest draw back is being out of town and away from the action, it’s okay if you don’t mind grabbing a cab every time and back. Great hotel, crap location.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for and if you can afford a Lagoon room it's well worth it.
Dear Parges,

Thank you for passing on your feedback about your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. We are glad to hear you found the Resort to be sublime and it certainly is great to be able to relax of an afternoon in the Lagoon pool!

Regarding your observations about pricing, we are aware that Darwin can be an expensive destination; as such we carefully consider rates to ensure we provide a great value product in the Darwin market. We have ensured there are no hidden costs in our room rates or additional charges for popular services. For instance we offer all our guests complimentary valet parking and free WiFi; additionally our guests enjoy a number of complimentary leisure facilities both on and off the property. We are very conscious of keeping our room rates attractive and affordable for our guests.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

As I finish my third night here, I want to capture my thoughts. The is a very nice conference resort hotel located on the water (the only one in Darwin that I am aware of). The feeling is beach luxurious with a very nice lobby, spacious clean contemporary rooms, beautiful pool, resort amenities, several dining options, attentive service, and a casino (which seems to be the big draw). The rooms are also very nice and comfortable, spacious, quiet, and clean with contemporary design elements. I have enjoyed my stay here, but was a little challenged with the resort lacking a shop for incidentals and found the need to go down town which is about thirty minutes away walking. Fortunately the hotel provides a shuttle service, and the city bus stop is directly in front of the hotel. Overall, I do not believe you will be disappointed. And if flying, the hotel is only 15 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear MPatrick33629,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay. The architects of the Resort will certainly like your comments about contemporary design elements, there are some definite WOW features in the Resort rooms and surrounds.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here and hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I am not particularly interested in the Casino. However, I still come to this place for other things. Skycity offers Sunset Restaurant that has buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It also offers a la carte dining at Dragon Court, Il Piatto, and Evoo. I have stayed at one of their lagoon rooms during the promo period and their services and offers are of great value. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear kapresto,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We certainly pride ourselves on having a wide variety of offerings to cater for all our guest's likings and are pleased to hear you were able to take full advantage of the property.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This place may suit those who want proximity to the casino however there is nothing particularly special about the hotel. In addition it is not possible to get just a coffee and muffin for breakfast as the only places open cater for full breakfasts.

Dear Roger B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin.

Sorry to hear that you couldn’t find anywhere to grab a coffee and muffin, We have 2 Restaurants open Mon - Sat and 3 on Sunday’s along with a coffee shop to cater for our breakfast trade with a wide variety of selections from full buffet to a la carte or just a muffin.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is the 4 time we have stayed in the past 5 months and it appears tobe going backwards in the cleaning department
We checked into our room:
Bathroom Shower tiles not cleaned and hand basin dirty
Toilet was still dirty from the previous guest and slso the bathroom floor not cleaned

Dear Merrill L,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin.

I am sorry your stay did not live up to expectations. I have raised your concerns with our Head of Housekeeping to ensure that ensure your experience is not repeated again.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin again soon.

Hotel Operations Manager

Been to Skycity Darwin? Share your experiences!