“5 star - what an appalling joke” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Skycity Darwin

You added Skycity Darwin to your Saves list
Skycity Darwin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gilruth Avenue | The Gardens, Darwin, Northern Territory 0801, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Canberra, Australia
“5 star - what an appalling joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I can't begin to describe how terrible this hotel is. They claim they are 5 star although I can't imagine any hotel would treat their guests with such a disgusting lack of regard.

We were subjected to a "private function" that was held on the hotel lawns. This function included a huge stage, screen, live band and disco all facing towards the hotel rooms. We closed our doors and windows and still had to shout to hear each other talk ... it was seriously that loud. When we went to turn on the TV, we couldn't turn it up loud enough to drown out the disgustingly bad music directed towards us which was actually so loud it kept rattling the blinds open.

On the day of the event, the hotel had left a sheet of paper in our room informing us there would be a private function and they expected “minimal disruption” to guests. I would consider it to be minimal disruption in the same way you could consider Cyclone Tracy to be a “bit of a breeze”. We had booked an activity the next day that required an early start and when the band stopped at 10.30pm, I thought we might have half a chance of a bit of decent sleep, but no, the disco then commenced with the most hideous selection of popular crud to make anyone with semi decent music taste throw up in their mouth … gangam style, oh kill me now. It finally stopped at around 11.30pm.

If I had any idea that this was how they treated their guests, I would NEVER have booked here. When I complained the next day, we were offered a bottle of wine … seriously. Perhaps they should have left a litre of strong spirits in every room prior to the event so you would be too comatose to notice.

Even if we hadn’t been subjected to the horror described above, the whole place was so overrated and disappointing. $325 a night – what an absolute rip off. The only thing 5 star is the swimming pool. I have uploaded photos of the disgusting condition of the corridors so won’t go on about that although I will say that yes, I do understand about renovations but when you advertise 5 star, there’s a certain standard expected otherwise you are just blatantly misrepresenting yourself … obviously greed is par for the course at skycity.

Services that are standard at every other 5 star (and most 4.5 and even 4 star) I’ve stayed at include:
• Pillow menu – not for our room but we did get some hard lumpy pillows that even the 3 star at Katherine managed to outdo
• Bathrobes – nope
• Slippers - nope
• Sewing kit, shower cap, toothbrush, comb, shaver, cottonballs, etc – big nope. The only thing skycity provided were some very cheap shampoo and conditioner, two bits of soap and sanitary bags.
• Real coat hangers – does a (supposed) 5 star need theft proof coat hangers?
• Decent coffee in the rooms – whether it is plunger or a machine – nope (perhaps freeze dried Moccona packets are now considered 5 star)
• And wow – such a basic – fresh coffee at the breakfast buffet with staff to serve it - nope

Things skycity seem to think are acceptable:
• Musty stench in the rooms
• Zero soundproofing around the door to the adjoining room – I really don’t need to hear strangers doing that
• Stained yellow tiles around the toilet
• Cramped horrible bathroom – just try and wriggle around the door - this one had a shower over the bath - ugh. (again the 3 star in Katherine had a luxury bathroom compared to this place)
• Labelling a tiny little cell that contains a desk as a business centre doesn’t make it one
• Broken bits of furniture lying around the dining area
• Lift doors that get stuck and are obviously a known issue but is not fixed
• Broken coffee machine in the breakfast room (without a sign of course) that never got fixed during our 6 day stay, wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's still broken
• Very thin pool towels

There are a couple of things that were right – the maintenance guy that replaced the blown light bulbs in the bathroom was exceptional with his client service skills and I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the lights got fixed. Also one of the concierge/porter staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The swimming pools are great. What a shame the rest of it is so woeful.

I've given plenty of 5 out of 5 ratings on tripadvisor so I'm really not difficult to please - all I can say is whoever rated this crud 5 star never stayed in an ocean view room on a "private function" night. It's so disappointing when you save up and look forward to a holiday just to be so horribly ripped off.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Meowclops,

Thank you for your constructive review. It is rare to receive anything but positive comments regarding the cleanliness (normally a key strength of the hotel), with your points duly noted and actioned.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Dural, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We were a little worried about the whole Casino thing... But it doesn't affect the resort at all!
Perfect location for the resort, esp for the Mindil markets on Thurs or Sun nights.
Superior Lagoon rooms back into the pool which were just lovely.
Italian restaurant in Casino was lovely and cheaper than restaurant in resort.
Nice for a special little trip, just save up!! We found accom up here ridiculously overpriced anyhoo for what u get but maybe that's just good ol' peak times.

• Stayed July 2013
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Danielle C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am pleased to hear it was such a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a great time here for three nights as a family of five. We were wary - we don't like casinos at all - but we'd heard so much about the two great pools we couldn't resist. Both the Infinity Pool overlooking the beach and the enormous Lagoon Pool are fabulous. We spent a lot of time here! It turned out the restaurants were really good too... there are some newer ones away from the gambling areas and the food was great. The Asian and Italian spots were fabulous. We enjoyed Darwin as a location and this was an excellent base.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sue0904,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. Our beautiful pools certainly are a highlight of our property and I am pleased you thoroughly enjoyed them.

I will pass on your comments about the great quality of the food at Dragon Court & il Piatto to our Food & Beverage team.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

When we booked to stay at the casino, we were excited and expected something good. We were wrong. It wasn't just good it was amazing. The pools were amazing, the staff were polite, the gym was great and the bars and restaurants were exceptional.

We stayed with 2 adults, a teenager and a child. The resort was accessible for both of the kids and catered to their every need. They were able to independently order drinks by the pool and just sign to our room. This wasn't a hassle for us as we have responsible kids, but i can see how it could be a problem if your kids make a huge bill for your room. None of the staff ever spoke down to the kids and always treated them with the respect they'd give adults.

They had bikes for hire, free of charge. This would've been a great option, although with the heat and our timetable we didn't have a spare chance to have a ride.

The room was amazing, we had a spa bath that we didn't know about until we arrived. We also had a double shower. This bathroom was more than big enough for 4 people.

The pools were just magnificent. Our teenager spent many hours floating around the lagoon all day. It is slightly hard to access as there is only one entrance, but this is a minor problem. They have a swim up bar which was great, it didn't just serve alcohol, but also served slushies and any drinks the kids wanted.

The restaurants at the casino were amazing, especially the sunset restaurant. This is a buffet style restaurant, it's amazing and so reasonably priced.

Thankyou SkyCity, will hopefully be back in November...

Don't go anywhere else in Darwin...The SkyCity was worth every cent we paid.

Room Tip: The disable access room on the first floor was huge and also was the same price.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reilly H,

Thank you for passing on your great comments on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am glad we lived up to your expectations and you had such a wonderful stay.

I will pass on your feedback about the great service you received around the property as well as your feedback on how great the restaurants were to our team, who I am sure will be very pleased to hear it.

We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the very near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We are traveling from Melbourne around the Northern Territory with our 3 sons aged 13, 10 and 6. Sky City was our final stop. We were quite grateful for the luxury this accommodation provided us with as most of our accommodation along the way had been pretty standard. We had interconnecting deluxe rooms with a partial view of the ocean and lagoon pool. Our rooms were small but lovely and very comfortable. I particularly enjoyed the little boutique bathrooms. Due to reading previous reviews I wasn't expecting the "true" 5 star accommodation but "true" 5 star experience is what I felt that we truly got. It may well be that in comparison to our prior "basic" accommodation it just felt that way but I've travelled extensively and I thought that Sky City was terrific and would choose it again if we were fortunate enough to return to Darwin.

The highlight of this resort is definitely the 2 spectacular pools. My kids loved them and just wanted to be in either one all of the time. This suited us as it gave us ample time to relax pool side and catch up on reading and have a cocktail or two. What more could you ask for? The lagoon pool with the swim up bar was particularly special (who needs a beach?) however, the other pool was equally as good with the gorgeous Mindal Beach as a backdrop.

We found the Concierge/Porters particularly pleasant, they were always eager to help. In particular Ben was excellent (although I'm told this is his final wk at Sky City?) and Chris too was friendly and seemed very enthusiastic about his job.

We spent our last evening dining at Il Piatto (a modern Italian restaurant). We were skeptical about taking the children but they were very welcome and after initially not knowing what to order for them (there's no basic Italian food) we took a gamble and hoped for the best. The best is what we got - everyone thoroughly enjoyed their food adults and children alike. The Maitre De was particularly efficient and hands on and we had a lovely waitress from the UK named Rosie.

We also dined at The Dragon Court. The ambience was delightful and the staff initially attentive until it got busy. I thought the food here was average, it didn't live up to the expectations of its surroundings. Also, I probably wouldn't recommend taking younger children here, they didn't feel welcome to me?

We were sad to leave Sky City and hope to return one day. It was the perfect ending to our Northern Territory adventure!

Room Tip: We had deluxe rooms. They are small but the little boutique bathrooms are nice. We weren't near...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vietnam5,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback from your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am pleased to hear your stay was such a fantastic one.

I will pass on your comments about the great service you received from our staff, it’s always nice to hear positive feedback. Thank you for your kind remarks about how great il Piatto was as well as your average experience at Dragon Court. We appreciate all forms of feedback as it helps us to improve in areas we may be lacking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the near future.

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here at the end of June with my Bridesmaids the night before my wedding and then the night of my wedding with my Husband in a 1 bedroom spa suite.

When booking my wedding accommodation Skycity was at the top of my list, great rooms, spectacular views and so many restaurant options to choose from, it certainly did not disappoint.

Our room was beautifully appointed, and the views simply spectacular!

Staff were extremely friendly and attentive, particularly the Concierge team who are a credit to Skycity, nothing was ever too much trouble!

We would highly recommend and will definitely stay at Skycity in the near future, can't wait to try out the new resort!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Angela S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. Our 1 Bedroom Suites are perfect for wedding parties and glad to hear you had such a great experience. The Resort is a perfect choice to celebrate your 1st year wedding anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin.

Sunbury, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed at the resort in a lagoon room. Our balcony overlooked the lagoon, swim up bar and the pool beach. Room very spacious and clean. Great king size bed. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. We even got driven to our room in a buggy! Great restaurants to choose from. Definitely coming back here to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vanessa L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. I am glad to hear you had such a great experience and will pass on your compliments to all relevant staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Hotel Operations Manager

Been to Skycity Darwin? Share your experiences!