I can't begin to describe how terrible this hotel is. They claim they are 5 star although I can't imagine any hotel would treat their guests with such a disgusting lack of regard.
We were subjected to a "private function" that was held on the hotel lawns. This function included a huge stage, screen, live band and disco all facing towards the hotel rooms. We closed our doors and windows and still had to shout to hear each other talk ... it was seriously that loud. When we went to turn on the TV, we couldn't turn it up loud enough to drown out the disgustingly bad music directed towards us which was actually so loud it kept rattling the blinds open.
On the day of the event, the hotel had left a sheet of paper in our room informing us there would be a private function and they expected “minimal disruption” to guests. I would consider it to be minimal disruption in the same way you could consider Cyclone Tracy to be a “bit of a breeze”. We had booked an activity the next day that required an early start and when the band stopped at 10.30pm, I thought we might have half a chance of a bit of decent sleep, but no, the disco then commenced with the most hideous selection of popular crud to make anyone with semi decent music taste throw up in their mouth … gangam style, oh kill me now. It finally stopped at around 11.30pm.
If I had any idea that this was how they treated their guests, I would NEVER have booked here. When I complained the next day, we were offered a bottle of wine … seriously. Perhaps they should have left a litre of strong spirits in every room prior to the event so you would be too comatose to notice.
Even if we hadn’t been subjected to the horror described above, the whole place was so overrated and disappointing. $325 a night – what an absolute rip off. The only thing 5 star is the swimming pool. I have uploaded photos of the disgusting condition of the corridors so won’t go on about that although I will say that yes, I do understand about renovations but when you advertise 5 star, there’s a certain standard expected otherwise you are just blatantly misrepresenting yourself … obviously greed is par for the course at skycity.
Services that are standard at every other 5 star (and most 4.5 and even 4 star) I’ve stayed at include:
• Pillow menu – not for our room but we did get some hard lumpy pillows that even the 3 star at Katherine managed to outdo
• Bathrobes – nope
• Slippers - nope
• Sewing kit, shower cap, toothbrush, comb, shaver, cottonballs, etc – big nope. The only thing skycity provided were some very cheap shampoo and conditioner, two bits of soap and sanitary bags.
• Real coat hangers – does a (supposed) 5 star need theft proof coat hangers?
• Decent coffee in the rooms – whether it is plunger or a machine – nope (perhaps freeze dried Moccona packets are now considered 5 star)
• And wow – such a basic – fresh coffee at the breakfast buffet with staff to serve it - nope
Things skycity seem to think are acceptable:
• Musty stench in the rooms
• Zero soundproofing around the door to the adjoining room – I really don’t need to hear strangers doing that
• Stained yellow tiles around the toilet
• Cramped horrible bathroom – just try and wriggle around the door - this one had a shower over the bath - ugh. (again the 3 star in Katherine had a luxury bathroom compared to this place)
• Labelling a tiny little cell that contains a desk as a business centre doesn’t make it one
• Broken bits of furniture lying around the dining area
• Lift doors that get stuck and are obviously a known issue but is not fixed
• Broken coffee machine in the breakfast room (without a sign of course) that never got fixed during our 6 day stay, wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's still broken
• Very thin pool towels
There are a couple of things that were right – the maintenance guy that replaced the blown light bulbs in the bathroom was exceptional with his client service skills and I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the lights got fixed. Also one of the concierge/porter staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The swimming pools are great. What a shame the rest of it is so woeful.
I've given plenty of 5 out of 5 ratings on tripadvisor so I'm really not difficult to please - all I can say is whoever rated this crud 5 star never stayed in an ocean view room on a "private function" night. It's so disappointing when you save up and look forward to a holiday just to be so horribly ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SKYCITY Darwin is the ultimate travel destination for discerning guests seeking a truly five star beachfront experience in Australia’s extraordinary Top End. Nestled on 30 acres of tropical gardens fringed by the crystal blue Arafura Sea, SKYCITY’s centrally located resort offers stunning accommodation and dining options, teamed with a world class entertainment complex and superior conference and event facilities.Relax in one of our 152 stylishly appointed hotel or resort rooms, swim in our spectacular infinity edged pool or lagoon pool, enjoy the cuisine of our five distinctive dining experiences, indulge in spa treatments, and relax on our beautiful private beach.We offer the perfect getaway for business and pleasure that invites guests to wind down and savour Darwin’s finest address. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Skycity Darwin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skycity Darwin Hotel Darwin
- Skycity Hotel Darwin
- Darwin Skycity Hotel