“sky high” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Skycity Darwin

You added Skycity Darwin to your Saves list
Skycity Darwin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gilruth Avenue | The Gardens, Darwin, Northern Territory 0801, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Fremantle, Australia
“sky high”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great hotel, good restaurants, wonderful and helpful staff, Nico who organised us a helicopter trip that was an absolute joy ride!
it's a local firm, Coolibah and well worth the extra money for an hour's ride over Litchfield park.
The rooms were fantastic, last minute change of plan because of a bad back playing up, meant we had to change rooms, no problem, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the staff, Tried three of the restaurants, all were good, Il Pianto has the best sunset view!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lyn S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your wonderful feedback on your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin, we are so pleased that your stay was such a pleasant one. Il Piatto certainly does have the best sunset view in Darwin.

I will pass on your great comments about our staff to the relevant areas. We hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the near future.

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here for part of our honeymoon. We stayed in the new resort area. The rooms were very modern...cleaning was ok. Could be better as there were stains on the toilet and the floors werent overly clean. The pool and bar area is amazing. Most of the staff were lovely. Cant give enough praise to the concierge boys. They were polite and so helpful the whole time. Anytime we needed help they practically ran to our aid! Overall the resort is a great place to stay..we would love to come back again...maybe after they review their room pricing!

• Stayed June 2013
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear amicar4,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful pool and bar areas.

I appreciate you bringing the cleaning to my attention; I will mention this to our cleaning team so improvements can be made.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our concierge team, they will be glad to hear the great feedback.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here for six nights at the end of April, in the Hotel side for the first 4 nights, and the Lagoon side for the last 2 nights. I know it's very expensive, but the Lagoon side blew my socks off, so if you can stretch your budget I highly recommend it. Not that there's anything wrong with the Hotel rooms, which has a gorgeous pool with fabulous views over the beach. However a swim out room was a real treat, which I absolutely loved! The staff were particularly friendly, and very helpful. I also must make mention of the food - I was travelling alone and tended to eat most of my meals in my room, and I was never disappointed. I also ate in the Chinese restaurant, and another restaurant in the Casino. Every meal was exceptionally good - I was very impressed. The location won't work for everyone, but I liked being out of the main town. It was easy to get a cab into town, I think they run a shuttle bus, and I even braved the heat to walk and it only took about 25 minutes. However it's just next to the Mindil Beach Markets, which are every Thursday and Sunday in the dry season. I thought that this was a great destination.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear rjt33,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am pleased to hear our new Resort made such an impression on you!

I will certainly pass on your great comments about the fantastic service you received from staff as well as the quality of food to the respective areas also.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I were enjoying visiting family in Darwin! We decided to go to the sky city restaurant for lunch because we have been there years before, as my partner and I walked in to the main entrance, we were stopped my security and was told that my partner could not come in due to him wearing a singlet, we explained that we were meeting family at the buffet restaurant but he said it still didn't matter, so he left I decided to meet up with my family anyway, as I walked in the same security man stopped me and asked for my ID, I didn't have it and explained that I just wanted to meet my family in the restaurant and ill walk around the other entrance, he said that it didn't matter if I didn't have my ID I wasn't allowed to meet my aunty and her 3 year old girls! Where we were staying was in nightcliff and not being locals we were not familiar with quick ways to retrieve out stuff! It messed up our day and one of our last days with my family! I called once I was in the car and the lady on the phone said that I should have been let in but she wasn't overly apologetic! It really was a joke and I will be in no hurry to return! Next time when I'm visiting we will be going else where!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Being locals on a night away, we only stayed for one night and really enjoyed it. We stayed in a ground floor room, in the older part of the hotel (Room #82). The room was very well appointed, and had very recently been renovated. It was equipped as a handicap-friendly room, which for us meant a massive triple head shower and a fully jetted bath tub. The only complaints we had were: the room was subjected to lots of hallway noise (including clearly hearing the "beep" from neighbour's door locks, plus every other little noise). A better fitted, sound-proof door would be a good improvement. Also, for a $290 a night room, the mattress was only average, something you'd find in any old motel. So, a lousy night sleep for the price!

But, the location can't be beat, and the bar and restaurant selection is fabulous. I'd recommend staying at Skycity, but choose your room carefully.

Room Tip: Try the new lagoon rooms, they look great, otherwise try to get a beach view, top floor room. The s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darryl D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. I am glad you found your room to be well appointed and our food and beverage options to be great.

I am sorry you feel you didn’t receive value for money whilst you were here, our existing hotel certainly does look a little tired when compared to the brand new state of the art Resort we recently opened. At SKYCITY Darwin we have an ongoing commitment to upgrading and refurbishing our facilities which obviously can’t occur throughout the entire property at the same time, but I will certainly raise the issues you have mentioned with my team.

College Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Darwin was the start of our 14th trip to OZ, and this was our fifth stay at SkyCity. We booked one of the new lagoon rooms. Wonderful room, with ladder, from our lanai, into the lagoon. Short swim to the swimup bar. Good service. Chinese restaurant in casino was excellent. Only shortcoming, with a green designation, the new rooms are not as cool, as the other rooms. We'll definitely return, but will probably stay in the spa suite room, overlooking Mindil Beach

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Steve J,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments about your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable break in one of our Superior Lagoon Rooms.

I will pass your great comments about Dragon Court to our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin for your 6th visit.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

After visiting Skycity Darwin for a friends bucks party, we left a little disapointed after booking at Skycity. The old section of the hotel was way below standard for a 5 star hotel, and i wouldn't even recommend staying here if you were planning on being in one of these rooms. The price for staying in peak season bordered on rediculous and could get a much better property anywhere else.

The rooms were extremely poor in the old section, with poorly designed small rooms and a mouldy shower head.

The lagoon pool was lovely, and was one of the pleasures of the trip with the swim up pool bar.

Overall a little disapointing.

Room Tip: Stay in the lagoon pool area
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear imprsv,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin, I am glad you enjoyed our Lagoon pool and swim-up bar.

I am sorry that our rooms did not live up to your expectations, our existing hotel certainly does look a little tired when compared to the brand new Resort we recently opened. SKYCITY Darwin is committed to a continual programme of upgrading and refurbishing facilities; however this cannot be completed throughout the whole property at the same time.

Hotel Operations Manager

Been to Skycity Darwin? Share your experiences!