“Ultimate Australian Adventure” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 80 Activities in Darwin
More attraction details
Owner description: Award winning, high end tours throughout the Top End of Australia. Operating for over 10 years Venture North specialises in taking guests off the beaten track into lesser seen parts of the NT, including the remote Cobourg Peninsula in Arnhem Land where they operate their private safari camp.
Sydney, Australia
“Ultimate Australian Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Nothing could have prepared us for what was in store in the far North of Australia. We chose the trip because it was fully catered for, food and guide and there was this magical little camp at Cobourg thrown in to the mix. I had never been to Arnhem land, and our family was keen for adventure. We had international guests to impress....! Our guide was amazingly knowledgeable. The wildlife was spectacular - from bird watching, to roaming Banteng, creek-side Crocs, to water-based safaris through pods of dolphins, jumping eagle rays and sharks. There are plenty of animals to entertain you over the large road distances. What's more, my husband was excited by the mud crab hunting, the fishing and the tents. I loved Victoria Settlement, a throw-back to the early colonial days, stone buildings and pottery still occupy the isolated site. And for five days, I let someone else lead us on this wonderful adventure, far away from the land of emails and I-instantania. And not only that, but there was amazing Aboriginal rock art to explore with a local guide, with Dreamtime stories and culture. Something for the whole family. Great service from the whole team, thanks guys for everything!

Visited July 2013

Perth, Australia
“Arnhem Land, a once in a lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you have a chance to join the 5 Day Arhhen Land and Cobourg Peninsula Tour, do so!
I travelled with my 12 year old grand-daughter, and we both loved every minute from the welcoming glass of champagne and the oysters prised from the rocks below the camp to our long, but engaging journey back to Darwin. We were dreadfully sad to leave Heather and Hugh and the tiny exquisite joey Hugh had rescued from the side of the road to Darwin.
Others have written in detail of the lovely camp and its natural and unspoilt setting with lovely decorative touches, the food, the fascinating excursions and the peace. We felt as if we were privileged guests in this perfect place.
A guide, Kelda, looked after us in a superlative manner. She is easy going, encouraging though firm when needed to be: "Keep drinking your water, you need a litre"
Her knowledge of the area was extensive, her sensitivity outstanding, her organisational skill were of the highest level. Kelda added enormously to our enjoyment of the trip.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“5 Day Arnhem Land and Coburg Pensinular Trip June 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The guide was friendly, enthusiastic and very knowledgeable. The meals were great and as I have gluten intolerance and there was always a gluten free option for me from a muesli bar to my own bread. The Coastal Camp is very restful and beautiful. Loved the rock art at Gunbalunya and Ubirr. Seeing so much wildlife on the Peninsular was fantastic.

USA
“Amazing family trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The mosquitoes were biting and getting there and back took ages. So what. Venture North's Kakadu/Arnhem/Cobourg tour was unbelievable. Their coastal campsite is heaven on earth.

The Venture North folks really have this perfected. We left all our ipads and phones back in Darwin and I didn't hear my kids make a peep. They were too busy watching the crocs, learning to play the didgeridoo and meeting the owner's rescued baby wallaby. Not to mention outdoor forest showers, mud-crabbing, campfires, and catch-and-release barracuda.

The first day was a great start -- we stopped to have a croc and bird cruise and saw the best birdlife I'd ever seen. That afternoon we went swimming at Barramundi falls, a croc-free swim spot with marine life to see underwater. Our first night was a pleasant surprise at some super-designed bush bungalows with spotless showers and restrooms.

After a day of rock art and long driving, on the second night we rolled in to the campsite around 5 pm. We had come to the right spot. The campfire was roaring, but first we went down to the overlook where we had nibbles and sparkling wine after settling in and taking showers. Within minutes we were sitting there mesmerized by jumping dolphins and crocs that moved in closer and closer. Dinner that night was amazing steak, some of the best I've had in ages. All the guests and guides enjoy enjoyed each other's companies, making sure not to fall into the crocs.

We spent two full days exploring the park near the campsite. The first day of exploration we rode the boat across the bay to the old Victoria Settlement. Our four kids were mesmerized by Dave's tales of the old colonials, a look into a frog cave, and the fishing on the way back. We lazed about in the hammocks and showers in the afternoon. Again dinner was amazing, this time lamb, fresh baked bread, and amazing roast vegetables. Our nibbles and wine from the overlook included a giant croc that swam closer and closer for the whole evening as we watched from the safety of the overlook.

The campsite is truly amazing. Not just the food, location and ambiance, but the facilities. At 3 pm when sun has been heating the pipes all day, the shower is heavenly, with hot water massaging your back and a view from the shower into the forest. (At other times when the pipes aren't heated up, it's a bit more refreshing.)

The second full day at the camp we spent 4WD touring through amazing scenery and coastal mud-crabbing. Again the kids were enchanted. The final night's dinner was another highlight, a seafood curry.

Our last day we were sad to have to leave the campsite and return to Darwin, though the stop on the way back at Ubirr.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Unforgettable- Trip of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Where to start...

10/10! No other tour of the 'Top End' comes close to the amazing all-round experience I enjoyed with Venture North on their well renowned 5 day Kakadu, Arnhem Land and Cobourg Peninsula Safari Tour.

The Trip- First stop on the adventure was Fogg Damn and Corroboree Billabong, where we enjoyed the early morning sights and sounds of a vast array of birds and other wetland wildlife (including numerous crocs!). Having not been a huge bird or flora enthusiast before the trip, I certainly was when I left. And I have to note- on that first evening, the overwhelming stillness and serenity of the sun setting over the wetlands at Nawalandja lookout is breathtaking.

The next day, spent mostly on Injalak Hill, I couldn't believe the age-old rock art we had access to! We were taken by a local aboriginal guide who explained the stories and meanings behind all of the other-worldly images painted on the overlays and in crevices in the rock. Also, you can take as many photos as you like- it felt like a real privilege to be there.

The following 2 days were spent at the wonderful coastal camp in a blissful blur of fishing, hammock-swinging, eating and reading. Needless to say, the scheduled activities were also great; especially the historical Victoria Settlement, which for a keen historian like myself, was incredibly interesting.

Transport- The 4WD Land Cruisers are the perfect way to see the country in the dry season, and could comfortably fit the guide, myself and 4 other guests (plus luggage). As someone prone to motion sickness, I was worried about the time spent travelling, however; with lots of regular and interesting stops, the distance covered shrinks into nothing.

As a solo traveller myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the company of the other guests, the expert guides and wonderful camp host. I would recommend this trip as suitable for anyone; including families, couples, and individuals like myself.

The Guides- credit where credit is due. The knowledge, experience and passion of Hugh and Dave (our guides) was beyond all expectation. Not one of my questions went unanswered, and I have come away from the trip knowing and appreciating the land, wildlife and culture of that area so much better.

Advice- Take a camera! You will want to remember these views forever! A hat and decent walking shoes/sandals might also come in handy. Also, if you enjoy a wee drop- the coastal camp is BYO- so make sure you bring enough of your favourite tipple to last you 3-4 evenings of good food and good company.

Highlights for me have to be; the thrill of 'big' fishing in the crystal clear blue waters of the Marine Park followed by a glass of wine at sunset and a freshly caught and cooked seafood dinner. Perfect!