“Great espresso martinis are its redeeming quality” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #150 of 232 restaurants in Darwin
Good for: Romance, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great espresso martinis are its redeeming quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went there on a Wednesday night so it was fairly quiet and thus we expected there not to be any hiccups with providing our meals.

The fact that the table beside us had to send their meals back twice to be heated up because they were served cold should have been a warning to us. After ordering the daily special, we were approached 10 minutes later and told that there were none remaining and could we order a different meal. Most of our orders didn't take too long to reach us, however the salad of all things was the last to come out and took a extra 5-10 minutes to reach the table. I don't know whether my meal had gone cold in this time due to the wait or it it wasn't particularly hot to begin with but I soldiered on only to discover the medium-well steak I had order resembled a Quentin Tarantino film.

The wait staff were very attentive and friendly, and I think the issue was more a kitchen problem than anything else.

I would definitely go back for the cocktails but I probably wouldn't return for a meal again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

42% Recommend
Adelaide, Australia
“Don't put yourselves through the experience there are lots of better places”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Staff totally rude and up themselves
Food ok but slow
Seriously expensive and not worth it.
I have been to Buzz now 4 times when I visit Darwin. Each time I visit I say this will be my last
I have given them the benefit of the doubt too many times.
The staff / people are the problem
Great views
However
AVOID as there are lots of better places with good food and service who would appreciate your visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Busy but brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Came here Saturday night as a group of six and the place was full. With the restaurant being so busy our initial instinct was that we would have average service and that we might be served compromised food. We were wrong.

The waitstaff were never pushy, regardless of their workload. Our waitress in particular always smiled and was continually attentive throughout our night.

We ordered entrees of Crab, the fennel cream scallops, a prawn dish and crocodile. It all came out within fifteen minutes and there was not one complaint from us, as the food was fantastic. The Crab was moist and the croc tender. Our happy waitress cleared our table and the mains followed shortly after. Two of us had the Barramundi and the rest ordered Steaks and a kangaroo. I have just moved to Darwin and was told to dine here for the 'Best Barra' in town and I can see why. Simply non fussy flavours with perfectly cooked fish. Yum.

Our only complaint would be that my friend received the wrong beer, a carlton draught instead of carlton dry. Big Deal!

We will definantly be back

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Being a resident of Darwin, Buzz Cafe has been a place that we have been to a number of times since we have moved here and have generally been reasonably happy with the restaurant.

Tonight was the first time in probably 6 months that we have come here.

We have family visiting this week so thought Buzz would be the perfect place to go being close to home as well.

The night started well with some great entree's that we shared. The Calamari and Crocodile was great as was the Soft Shell Crab.

Then the mains came..... oops! I had the Kangaroo and was told it would be rare (as you do with this type of meat). It was cooked right through. My wife wanted the Pork Belly with Crackling and was told it wasn't available so she had Fish & Chips (soggy) and my mother in law had the Chicken Pocket (supposed to have brie cheese and tomato but more tomato than anything else). Not such a good ending to the meal.

On to the Staff! Yes, I know up here, wait staff tend to be backpackers etc but they really didn't care either way whether we were happy or not. We did mention the issues with the main meal (and mentioned how good the entree's were) and was told that it would be passed on to the chef (if that's what you want to call them) however, there was no feedback at all.

Sad to say, but I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone right now (particularly a visitor to the Territory). Hopefully, it will come good again at some stage in the future.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Darwin, Australia
“Just plain rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We went to dinner at Buzz Cafe on saturday night after we had taken visitors there two weeks prior. Two weeks ago the food was fine, expensive, but you get used to paying over the top prices in Darwin unfortunatly. On our latest visted we left feeling totally ripped off. We ordered the excat same meals we did previously however this time the barramundi was so salty you could hardly taste the fish and mashed potato was lumpy. My husband ordered a rare steak. It was so full of grizzle and fat that he had to spit out his first mouthful as he couldnt even chew it. He could barely eat not even half of the steak and the bed of potato it was on was also crunchy to the point of being raw. When the waiter came to pick up our plates and asked us how our meal was I mentioned to him that he should let the chef know the steak was indeible and he should not be serving a cut of meat like that. When the waiter brought our bill he informed us the chef had said that the cut of meat my husband ordered 'is usually a fattier meat so if you didnt like it you should order something else next time'! Next Time! After that response, I highly doubt there will be a next time given when we ordered it two weeks ago it was at the ver least edible. This place is certainly relying on its past glory days and location but needs to realise that when they are charging so much for food they need to treat their customers with a little more respect.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere