“Handy to the airport” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel

You added Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Sir Norman Brearley Drive | Marrara, Darwin, Northern Territory 0812, Australia   |
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Noosa, Australia
“Handy to the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Handy to the airport but a fair distance to the city. Rooms are OK, nice pool, bar and restaurant. Had an issue in the restaurant where due to the accent of the waitress there was confusion when I went to pay the bill. I put the meal to my room and let reception staff know about it when I checked out. There were minimum questions from them and I was charged as quoted. Impressed with the way it was dealt with.

Room Tip: Rooms over the right hand side of the hallway overlook the pool area, left hand side overlook the ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuring we deliver consistent levels of service to all our guests,
As you note we are very convenient to the airport and whilst we are 13km from the main CBD we do offer a complimentary City shuttle at 10am and 5pm daily for our guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the mix up in the restaurant and I am glad this could be resolved by the Front Desk upon check out.
Thanks again for your review and for choosing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Alice Springs, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed for 7 hours, charged $249...
Nothing that hasn't already been said.
Overpriced. Some attempts at a refurb are happening as our floor (4) stunk like fresh paint, to the point of nostril burning.
Bathroom could have used a good scrub. Room was quiet, had to open the window in bathroom as room steamed up and I thought the fire alarm was going to go off!
5 minute walk to airport through a scenic frondy ( at night slightly dim lit) path.
Stay if you're worried about missing a flight, or go into Darwin and stay at meleluecas backpackers, at least you get what you pay for there!

Stayed July 2014
I appreciate the time you've taken to provide a guest review about your recent stay as your feedback is a necessary tool in improving our service and accommodation standards for the future.
The month of July is in Darwin's peak season so rates and demand are quite high. Outside of the months June-September there will be more valuable accommodation deals available in the the market.
As you noticed, we are currently undergoing refurbishments to upgrade our hotel and resort properties which, unfortunately, does impact some aspects of your stay for a minimal period of time.
While the airport is only a short walk away, we do offer a 24-hour, on-demand courtesy shuttle to and from the airport for the comfort of our guests.
If, again, you are in Darwin feel free to contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.
Wrexham County, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed in many hotels around the world and usually very pleased with results. Although had a very bad experience with this hotel, and will not be returning. Flight was cancelled, so was awarded a free nights stay in this hotel. Fairly pleased with the location to airport and decor of the hotel is nice. Upon check out the next day we were told our flight was cancelled again and the air line were to pay for another nights stay. My friend and I constantly checked this was the case still throughout the day, and were told by the staff that it was definitely paid for. The next morning we awoke to a piece of paper saying the airline weren't to pay for it, and we would have to pay. They "graciously" offered a reduced rate, but after being told we were having a free night it did not really ease our annoyance! Complained to staff, but they were very unhelpful telling us we just have to pay it.

Staff were very unhelpful and abrupt throughout our stay. Food was very over priced, and tried to charge us for more food than ordered. Very unorganised with room designation, because my friend and I had a double room whilst people on their own were awarded a room with 2 beds!

Only positives were hotel was adequately decorated, pool area was nice and alcohol wasn't too expensive.

Overall, would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your review is an important tool that we can use to rectify issues for the future.
I extend my sincere apologies for the communication issues that you encountered during your stay as we were dealing with a third-party agent in conjunction with the airline that had lead us to believe that they would cover both night's of your stay, only to renege their offer. This left both the guest and ourselves in a unfortunate position which we attempted to minimise the impact by offering a reduced rate. I will follow up with the Front Office Manager to ensure the team can handle these rare situations better in the future.
Should you be travelling to Darwin again, do not hesitate to contact me as I would welcome the opportunity to make amends.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Nowadays Darwin isn't very remote, so the cost of this hotel, for the service is really poor.
The whole hotel needs to be refurbished, its looks awful. The rooms are dated, the bathrooms suite is poor, I have had better in dongas.

The choice of an asian restaurant downstairs, to me is surprising, Im not sure how many people come to Darwin for the asian food?.......The decor of that too looked awful.

I won't be back

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Our feedback plays an important role in improving our guest service.
Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectation during your recent stay.
I noted you commented on the decor of the hotel and we are undertakng a refurbishment of the guest corridors and carpets over the next few months.
Should you be travelling into Darwin I would welcome the opportunity to make amends for this stay.
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Overpriced, noisy, poorly appointed. This hotel ticks no boxes.

I stay in over 50 hotels a year in 5-6 countries and can not recall worse value for money.

OK, I get it is an airport hotel, associated with excited chatter and people going places, but this is just poor. Dated décor, uncomfortable bed, no water or soft drink in the mini bar, blind runners trapped into rail, uncomfortable pillow.

And the noise. Room 214 for me, doors banging, voices, screaming, clatter at all hours of the night.

For the Rydges brand this is the poor cousin. My worst hotel experience in a very long time

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regard to your recent guest stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuiring we provide a friendly and efficient level of customer service.
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy the hotel and your stay was impacted by other guests arriving and departing. I understand that this was a busy day for the hotel and there was some groups staying but this should not have impacted you as it has.
I have noted your room for a review of the roller blind by maintenance as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you are travelling into Darwin in the near future as I would welcome the opportunity to make amends on your next stay. Thanks again for providing the feedback.
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed one night before leaving Darwin on an early morning flight. We booked a superior room and were a little disappointed with the room for the price we paid. The furniture was dated and the TV was small. Despite this the room was clean and had all we needed for a comfortable stay. Although being close to the airport we only heard one plane go over and that was early evening. We were surprised how quiet it was.

There is plenty of parking if you have a car. We returned our rental car to the airport the day before our flight and walked back to the hotel. It's only a few minutes walk or the hotel provides a shuttle bus which we used early morning on the day of our flight.

We would stay there again for convenience to the airport for early or late flights, but can get better value elsewhere for holidays.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay at Rydges Darwin. Your feedback is an important tool in ensuring a consistent standard of service for all our guests.
Whilst we are located just 350 metres from the airport the properties seem a world away and there is little aircraft noise evident. The only time you will notice aircraft noise is if there is fighter planes taking off and landing and there is only a couple of exercises for a week several times a year.
The complimentary shuttle bus is an important part of our service and lets you get to and from the airport quickly with a minimum amount of fuss.
Your time of stay is around the V8 supercar weekends and is one of the peak weeks of the year in Darwin so demand and prices are higher. Weekends and outside of the June to September peak season will see better accommodation specials in market.
Thanks again for your patronage and choosing to stay at the property.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had to book a hotel last minute due to my flight being delayed. This hotel was convenient as I had to get up early the following day for my flights and the price was right! Great shuttle service as I arrived after 12am no hassle arranging this to and from. The room as very clean and good quality. My only issue was on check in the receptionist seems a bit confused with regards to whether they had received payment from me. I advised that they had but he initially reported that was not the case as I had booked through Expedia and they do not normally take payment. I explained I too worked as a receptionist and expedia would have given them instructions whether to collect payment from guest of charge expedia card. After I was determined that I was not going to pay again he then checked his screen then said it was ok they had received payment.

He seemed a little flustered granted it was 12am in the morning but his manner was still friendly whilst trying to rectify the situation...however had I not known from my previous job how Expedia bookings worked I would perhaps have paid twice not ideal! I must reiterate that this was a last minute booking hence he could have received email through late. (5-6 hours from me booking to checking in). This is my only reasoning for this problem but perhaps systems need to be looked at to prevent this happening again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay although I have noted your inconvenience at the point of check in regarding the payment information.
I have passed this feedback onto the Front office manager but do note that we had a new night auditor who checked you in so he may have been a little confused with the late booking and expedia terms. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Thanks again for choosing to stay at the property and passing on that valuable feedback regarding the check in process so we could follow it up.

Been to Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!