“Expensive but no other alternative” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort

You added Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort to your Saves list
Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yulara Drive, Yulara, Northern Territory 0872, Australia (Formerly Voyages)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A$151.20* /night
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Yulara
Warsaw, Poland
“Expensive but no other alternative”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hostel offers the cheapest stay next to the Ayers Rock. It's really basic and offers a free shuttle bus that meets every flight out of Ayers Rock airport. That's all for that you get for free - all other perks are payable. I didn't like that I had to wait for a bed two hours at the lobby. I understand that the check in time is at 3 PM, but it's not hard to adjust the times to the inbound flights if there are only 2 or 3 every day and two from Sydney arrive at the airport almost at the same time. I can recommend an Aussie DIY Barbacue at the restaurant. There are several types of meat to choose from. It's a nice feeling to eat a kangaroo that you cooked by yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear tygrysm

Thank you for your review.

It is wonderful to hear of the enjoyment you felt whilst participating in the cook your own barbeque experience at the Outback Pioneer BBQ Bar.

I hope that you were also able to enjoy some of the free guest activities that the resort offers as well as the free shuttle service. Our hotel check in and out times are based on both the arriving and departing flights to Ayers Rock Resort. The specified times have been allocated in order for our housekeeping and front office teams to be able to prepare the rooms for all our guests. I do apologies for your wait and please know that we do endeavour to provide an early check in service when possible however this is subject to availability.

Once again thank you for your feedback and all the best in your future travels.

Outback Pioneer Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We knew that going to Ayers Rock and staying in the area meant being a captive as well as being subject to severe price gouging. But the options are limited unless you want to pay huge amounts. Overall the room was fine (once we figured out how to operate the a/c). There is a small refrigerator. We strongly urge folks to immediately visit the local IGA (supermarket) in the Ayers Rock Resort. About the only deal in the resort is the free shuttle bus you can take from hotel to hotel and to the 'town center'. Stock up on snacks, water (you need a 1 L bottle per person minimum and keep refilling it), breakfast items and whatever else you might want. Food in the hotel restaurants is pricy. We made the mistake of having breakfast at the Bough Restaurant in the Outback. The continental breakfast was $24 PER PERSON and there was only instant Nescafe (NO BREWED COFFEE). Major price gouging. Other meals were equally pricy and usually not very good. Also depending on the time of year, as soon as you arrive buy some of the nets that you can wear over a hat and your head (2 for $15 and hands down the best deal). The flies were beyond annoying and made any walking excursion an exercise in hand flapping.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Robin A

Thank you for your review.

It is pleasing to read of your satisfaction with your room and the complimentary shuttle bus service which provides ease when exploring Ayers Rock Resort.

I would like to apologies for the absence of brewed coffee whilst dining at the Bough House for breakfast. Unfortunately our coffee machine was experiencing mechanical problems and as a result during your breakfast this option was not available.

Our remote location in Australia’s red centre does unfortunately incur price rates that may be higher than resorts in more affluent areas this is mainly due to freight and other associated costs.

Once again thank you for your feedback and all the best in your future travels.

wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, basic hotel but had everything that we needed. Only four hotels to choose from in this area and I think that the Outback Pioneer probably had the best atmosphere. Reception staff were very helpful, rooms yes basic, but you should expect that. We didn't find it expensive to stay here but given it's in the middle of nowhere you have to expect to pay a bit more than the norm for everything as you are hundreds of miles from anywhere else so I guess the area as a whole can charge more, but it's a once in a lifetime experience so personally didn't mind paying the extra. Loved the 'do it yourself barbie' idea, would recommend that you try this, it was absolutely lovely. Reception staff can book all tours and we did this, would recommend the AAT Kings trip to Kings Canyon and the Harley Ds bike ride at Sunset and Sunrise to and around Uluru (Ayers Rock), staff on both were lovely. Would recommed walking around Uluru preferably finishing before 11am, gets very very hot and takes around 3 hours to complete. Please note that I would recommend you wear a hat with a netting attached, the flies around Uluru are beyond a nuisance and could spoil your walk they are constant, you'll know what I mean when you get there!! Overall a great stay at the hotel and surrounding area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I would say this hotel was mid-range in the types of accommodation available in this remote resort. It almost had the feel of a motel, where the rooms are in rows at ground level. The staff were helpful and friendly on arrival and the room was comfortable, if a little on the small side. There were various eating options nearby, including a shop selling food for you to cook on the bbqs provided. Pizzas etc. were also available. There were trestle tables where you could eat in the shade. Further afield there were restaurants and even a supermarket in the resort. The swimming pool was a delight in the high temperatures of the desert. The prices seemed quite high but this was largely due to the poor exchange rate between sterling and the AUD. We enjoyed our stay here and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a reasonable level of overnight comfort while exploring this fascinating area, but not to someone looking for luxury.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear paperondepaperoni

Thank you for both the kind review regarding your enjoyment with your hotel including the facilities we provide and your recommendation to future guests is very welcome.
I shall pass your praises on to our front office team whom will be as delighted as I am to hear they have been able to provide such wonderful customer service upon your arrival.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The options of staying at Ayers Rock are very limited with budget options starting from approximately $40 a night in shared accommodation in either a 4 person mixed sex room or 20 person dorm.  Then there is a big jump in price to approximately $200 per night.   Because I knew I would rarely be in my room, I opted for a shared room.  As a solo female traveler, I wasn't comfortable in a mixed sex dorm and therefore I opted for the 20 person dorm room.  As soon as I arrived at the room, I knew it was immediately a mistake as guests were clearly on various time zones.  The room felt like a jail cell.  Although it was supposed to have air conditioning, it was broken.  When I mentioned this to the staff, I was assured that the air was working.  Two sleepless hours later, I went back to the reception and informed them that the air conditioning was definitely not working.  I was then moved to an unoccupied four person dorm room with a working air-conditioner and was able to sleep for a few hours before my sunrise camel tour, a tour not to be missed.  Additionally, I had rented a car so this wasn't an issue for me because I stored my luggage in the car, but should you wish to secure your luggage in a locker, it is $2 every time you access it, which is a ridiculous charge considering everything you do there has a siginficant mark up. In a sea of bad options, this is the only budget option there, but if I had to do it over again, I would've sprung for my own room. It would also be nice if the camp grounds had tents to rent out to travelers. Most everyone I met there were international visitors and therefore bringing one's own equipment is often not an option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mena727

Thank you for your review.
I would like to start by apologising for the dissatisfaction felt towards your stay with us at the Outback Pioneer Hotel and Lodge.
We pride ourselves on providing quality affordable accommodation with an array of room types to choose from. It is disappointing to read of the inconviences caused during the night due to an air conditioner fault however I am happy to hear this was rectified by our friendly staff with a room move.
In addition to the lockers for which we do charge a small fee, we also offer complimentary luggage storage with our porters and also offer safety deposit boxes at reception to store personal items such as passports and travel documents. I shall speak with our reception team to ensure this information is being conveyed to all of our guests.
Once again thank you for your review and wish you all the best in future travels

edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is possibly the most basic accommodation we have ever stayed in - but we were on a budget! Painted breeze block walls isn't the best look, but the room was clean, though a little dated. The bathroom was adequate, but again looking in need of a makeover. We were more disappointed with the lack of tidiness with the resort. There had been a thunderstorm a couple of days before we had arrived, and there was a large amount of debris from palm trees, and general vegetation scattered over pathways etc. At no point during our three day stay did we see anyone with a broom tidying up the grounds.That aside, we were so glad that we made the trip out to Ayers Rock - it was spectacular! Think about hiring a car, and go at your own pace, rather than booking the coach tours - it works out slightly cheaper if you take in all the sights. And if you can afford it, think about booking the Sound of Silence dinner, but only do it if you're prepared to be sociable with other travelers, and with the bugs that will join you at the dinner table!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear ianedin

Thank you for your feedback and it is wonderful to read of the enjoyment you experienced throughout your holiday in the red centre and the satisfaction felt towards the cleanliness of you room and its facilities.
I have passed your comments regarding the absence of garden maintenance on to our gardening team whom like myself are deeply apologetic for this. Together we have tailored our current procedures to ensure all pathways and public areas remain clean and tidy at all times.

Once again thank you for your review.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Now the room was basic - painted blockwork walls but the bathroom was fine, bed comfortable but TV had problems getting many channels. The pool was welcoming and eating places good. We were pretty busy so only eat there once but a friend came over from the Desert Winds so he could BBQ himself a steak. The nightly entertainment is enjoyable and is why I guess they call it the party hotel of the basic 3.

There is very little in choice so all the hotels are expensive but guess it is what you have to pay if you want to see Uluru and Kata Tjuta. The Lodge caters for those happy to share a room, not my idea of a good time but even at 65 I enjoyed the party.

Room Tip: It was the party atmosphere around the Bar and BBQ that made this place.