“Alice Springs has a lot to offer but not a party town” 4 of 5 stars

Alice Springs
Directions
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
Belgium
“Alice Springs has a lot to offer but not a party town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Alice Springs is not a party town, it's for most people just a stop to see Uluru or go to the north to visit Darwin.

I didn't fell save after dark in Alice Srings. A lot of Aborigines hang out. They look poor and some of them were drunk. As a single mom we didn't came out of our hostel after dark.

But during the day, I like Alice Springs very much, it's so dfferent from like Queensland. It's an authentic place. In Todd Mall it's lively during the day and when you are there when there's a market, it's lots of fun. During the day Aboriginal women sell paintings.
Unfortunately after dark Todd Mall is almost deserted and it gets creepy. Even locals advice not to go on the streetin Alice Springs alone after dark.

We took the time to get to know Alice Springs and did a lot of sight seeing. Not lot of people take the time to do so.

Places we ‘ve visited:
- Alice Springs Telegraph Station: It’s a well kept, historical place. There is a spring located behind and a nice park next to it. In the park there are a lot of grey-pink parrots.
- Anzac Hill: It’s in the centre where you get a nice view over the city.
- Todd Mall: Main street of Alice Springs with a lot of souvenir shops and restaurants. A lot of Aborigines hang out here and try to sell paintings. Try to catch a market!
- Central Australian Aviation Museum: Cause I’m traveling with my 9-year old son, this museum was on my to-do-list. It’s a small museum with a dozen old aircrafts. The entrance is free.
- Road Transport Hall of Fame: If you like cars and trucks, it’s the place to be. Hundreds of vehicles are exhibitioned here.
- Old Ghan Museum: It’s a rather small museum. Not much to see but I liked the Ghan train you could visite even inside. You get to see an antique interior. I don’t know if it’s really worth going here when you travel by train and have seen the Ghan inside when you were on your journey.
- Araluen Arts Centre: The museum with paintings and sculptures is rather small. It doesn’t take more than an hour to visit this place. I think it’s rather expensive. You can visit galleries all over Alice Springs to see nice Aboriginal art and it’s for free.
- Royal Flying Doctor Service: A must see when you visit Australia. The museum is rather small but I think it’s a great initiative and by visiting the museum you support the organisation. You also get a lecture about the service. When we were there, there was an intervention going on.
- School of Air: As a teacher, a must see for me. Unfortunately we missed lessons cause the teacher was ill. If you are interested, come in school hours.
- Alice Springs Reptile Centre: It’s a small Repile zoo. We had free entrance cause we booked a tour by Greyhound, otherwise it didn’t seem worth it. A plus is that you can hold a snake and lizards so for kids it’s a lot of fun.
- Alice Springs Desert Park: It’s a nice, well maintained park. There’s also a bird of prey show, very nice domain with kangaroos and also a reptile centre.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Fabulous journey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Its not really Alice I want to write about but the travelling there on the fabulous Ghan train which goes from Adelaide to Darwin right through the Red Centre of Australia.
It was like being in a novel -"Murder on the Orient Express" without the murder.
Fascinating two and a half day journey in a compartment train, with an elegant dining car and great cuisine, while one's en suite compartment turns from a carriage into a bedroom and vice versa.
With all the rain the desert was greener than uisual with wild flowers two stops at Alice where you visit a reptile farm, the Flying Doctor HQ, Pioneer Women's museum in the old gaol, and the old telegraph station where half caste aboriginal children were also housed in cramped conditons, as well as seeing the countryside.
Next stop Katherine where you travel by boat up the gorge to see Aboriginal rock paintings as well as stunningly spectacular cliffs and rocky outcrops and birds.
Sitting with different people at each meal , hearing their stories rocking to sleep as you travel through the night to Darwin.
A great trip

Surrye
“One horse town, don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Visited as part of an APT tour including Kings Canyon and Uluru. While Uluru is well worth a visit, the rest is simply filler. Very little to see or do. Very little time on my tour schedule to relax.

Alice Springs is a strange place with essentially only 1 street to visit and a couple of minor tourist attractions. The only place I have visited in Australia where you will feel uncomfortable at night. Really not worth the detour.

Melbourne
“Loved It...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I didn't even know what to expect of Alice Springs, some small city in the middle the desert, dry and dusty, few shops maybe and I'd heard the people weren't so friendly...well I couldn't have been more wrong, sure it is quite isolated and yes it is in the desert but what an amazing little city it is...the people were more than friendly and only willing to help out with travel advise, especially Frosty at the Undoolya Cattle Station...make sure you pay the 500,000 acre cattle station a visit for an awesome quad bike tour...oh and you must visit Simpsons Gap (approx 20min from Alice) & Stanley Chasm (approx 40 min from Alice), beautiful...

Royal Flying Doctors and the School of the Air are also well worth a visit to make us city folk realise how lucky we are to have every convenience at our door step.

Visited the Desert Park which was interesting but probably wouldn't go again a little too many birds and not enough reptiles for my liking, but I did get a great shot of a Kangaroo...

A visit to Bojangles is a must if you're wanting to sink your teeth in to some camel, emu, crocodile, buffalo or kangaroo, the mixed grill is a great tasting plate for two oh a visit to Bojangles is not complete without a visit to the Bathroom/Toilet, I say no more!!

Was suprised how lovely Lasserters Casino was even managed to have a little win however I was a little disappointed that the Seafood Buffet at Samphire Restaurant did not meet my expectations at all, food was very average and there wasn't much variety of seafood at all!!

We stayed at All Season Oasis and it may not be 5 star but the location, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff made up for it...we will definetly stay here again if we return to Alice. There is a choice of two pools and a lovely garden area to enjoy an afternoon drink.

A must is to visit Anzac Hill at Sunrise or Sunset (we did both) the view of Alice and the McDonnell Ranges is amazing but make sure you bring a jumper!

We will definetly return to this little place called Alice...loved it!!!

New Jersey
“quite town in the outback”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Wanted to visit the MacDonald ranges so we booked 2 nights in Alice Springs. May 15 & 16 2009. We stayed in a hotel on Todd Mall. Everything sightseeing in town,is in walking distance from Todd Mall, you really don't need to spend the $ for the Alice Wonderer or town tour if you stay there. A tour to the ranges would be recommended.We were there Friday afternoon to Sunday noon. We took a tour around town and then did the Dreamwalk dinner show. The show was excellant, the people were very friendly the food was OK. If your staying in Alice Springs I recommend the dinner show. Going out to the ranges, you need to purchase a head net. The flies are horrible. We rented a car and toured the ranges and did a lot of hiking. If you rent a car you need to be back prior to dark. Back in town everything was closed. On a Sat. night it seemed that nothing was really open. We were also warned by someone that it is dangerous to walk around at night there. On Sunday morning until around 1pm the locals bring their wares & food to sell at Todd Mall. The stores are closed, but there are a lot of tables with local merchandise avaliable,thank goodness b/c our plane wasn't leaving until 1pm.this gave us something to do inthe morning. The town was dirty but I guess for being in the outback, it wasn't a city. I wouldn't visit again, but if I had someone that wanted to see the ranges, I think I would book one of the camping tours. You see so much more and you see sunsets/rises and the stars at night. Unfortunately, I booked my airline and then looked into the tours and with our arrival time and departure times it wasn't convient for an overnight tour. Alice Springs closes up in the evening.

Been to Alice Springs? Share your experiences!