“Very good hostel in central Alice Springs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alice Springs YHA

You added Alice Springs YHA to your Saves list
Alice Springs YHA
Cnr Parsons Street and Leichhardt Terrace, Alice Springs, Northern Territory 0870, Australia   |
Munich
“Very good hostel in central Alice Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed at this hostel the nights before and after my 3-day-tour to Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Cancon (did it with Wayoutback, which I can also strongly recommend). They reception was friendly, they told us what to do for checkout early in the morning, cause there's noone at the reception at 5.30am. There is a locker room for big bags that you don't want to bring on a 3-day camping-tour. The kitchen is good, the rooms and bathrooms are clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for about two months which is probably longer than most people that end up staying here, unless you're in Alice Springs looking for work people usually only stay here for a few days at most. They don't really mind long-term residents especially since people come and go so often in Alice Springs. The best thing about this hostel is the location, it's right in the middle of town! Alice Springs has a reputation of being an unsafe place outside of the city centre so this location is definitely a really strong point. Once you stay here for about two weeks or more you start to get to know who are the long-term residents.

After I left they started enforcing an "in-house guests only" rule so that outsiders aren't allowed in the hostel at all which I found to be stupid. Alice Springs can be a very dodgy place at times and I've very surprised they don't invest more in better security in and out of the hostel. Also the hostel is in dire needs of some maintenance work and a nice touch up would suit the place nicely.

I liked the location of the hostel and meeting some new people here, but other than that if you're staying in Alice Springs for a while I would try to look for more permanent accommodation.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Having never been a backpacker or stayed in a hostel before, I was a bit dubious about staying here. I therefore can't compare it to any others. I stayed in a 4 bed room for 2 nights before a tour and 1 night after. The room was a good size and the beds were comfortable. The shower block was clean and the hostel had a small pool as well as a kitchen and tv room. I found that one of the benefits of staying in a hostel is the people you meet, allbeit through necessity if sharing a room with them. On my first 2 nights I had excellent room mates which made it worthwhile. However the opposite can also be the case. On my return night I was placed in a room with a man who obviously resented the intrusion of another person, stating that I was sharing `his' room and would I please place my boots outside in case they stank. Had I met him on the first two nights I may not have returned after my tour, but I guess that's the risk you take. The hostel is in an excellent location, 1 block from Todd Mall and the Alice Plaza, and adjacent to the bus stop for tours and airport transfer. I can't speak highly enough of the reception staff, 2 girls and a guy whose names I didn't get.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Alice Springs is not a big city but the departure point of tours going to Ayers Rock and other points of interest in the Australian Desert.
Stay here and you will get all the service you need. Kitchen, swimming pool, locker when traveling in the desert, airport transfer service and some other activities organized during your stay. Next time I come back, I will stay here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just returned from 8 nights at Alice Springs which included the 3 days 2 nights Rock Tour. Fantastic especially Jake out Driver/Guide on the tour. This YHA has great variation of age groups, fine, central to shops, bus depot and helpful staff, Roger, manager, really friendly and helpful also his 'under studies'. I traveled with my 25 year old son and did not feel 'old'. I love to see all the different cooking styles from other nationalities and people mixing together of course you can find your 'own space' as well..:) We went on the Rock Tour as well and highly recommend it but you do sleep in a basic swag and need thermal clothing and/or good sleeping bag to -5c at this time of year. You can ring and ask at YHA, I found no problem, thanks to Roger and his friendly staff. Also there is night time entertainment on the river nearby. I want to come again with my daughter/husband to see more of our fantastic country than just the perimeter.!!

Room Tip: rooms facing pool area okay and upstairs as well depends on how heavy your luggage is....:)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have just returned from the YHA Alice Springs which I stayed in with my son before and after doing 'The Rock Tour". Roger the manager was great , he helped with any advice on places to visit, rang up for information etc. It's a easy walk into the "Todd mall' and all central things, Woolworth s , bus connections. The accommodation was clean, enough showers/toilets, kitchen in good working order. Lots of varied ages and nationalities visiting our fantastic country..! It was situated across the road from 'Todd river' which has 'interesting night life'.... We went on 'The Rock Tour' 3 days/2 nights, Jake an English guy was our guide, driver, cook, organizer, everything and he did an amazing job..! He was full of information and very good with all the 'personalities'. My son and I were the only Aussies on the 21seater with a mixture of Italian, German, sth Korean, Polish, Brazilian, Canadian/Aussie , French and one American....

Room Tip: Room 14 upstairs was good away from the street or a downstairs room facing pool area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for a night before a 3-day/2-night tour of Kings Canyon and Uluru with Rock Tour (which I heartily recommend). This YHA is located smack-bang in the city centre of Alice Springs, a few steps from the Todd St Mall, so it is a very convenient spot. It's more of a "calm, relaxed" hostel rather than a party hostel, and there is a wide variation in the age range of the guests. For me this is not a disadvantage.

Room was comfortable and clean, if not particularly large. With the shared facilities, there is a big kitchen and lounge. I particularly liked the availability of individual bathroom+shower cabins, which offer more privacy than the usual row of stalls (although the hostel also has this).
In short, this is a satisfactory hostel, but nothing special for me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Alice Springs YHA? Share your experiences!