“Rock tour stop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Toddy's Backpackers

Toddy's Backpackers
You added Toddy's Backpackers to your Saves list
Toddy's Backpackers
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   41 Gap Road, Alice Springs, Northern Territory 0870, Australia   |
Mougins, France
“Rock tour stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had two nights at Toddy's, after the Rock tour, in a room with private bathroom.
Funny enough the sink was in the room not the bathroom and there was no window so it was boiling in there.
It's a bit far (15min) from the center but since there is nothing to do in Alice Springs you have time to walk...
Free wifi is available at the reception which is cool.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Happened to have a 4-bed room to myself. Seemed like it hadn't been cleaned for the last few weeks (dust and sand everywhere). Bunk beds are very unstable and noisy and the lower bed is so low that you can barely sit in. So I was happy to be alone.
Party going on outside until 3:30am and I was picked up for the Rock tour at 5:45am... little sleep so to say.

Location: quite a walk to the city centre (about 20-25min also to supermarket).

Plus points:
AC in all rooms, basic but good complementary breakfast (already from 5:30am), nice and helpful staff.

Good for a night before and after booked trips, but certainly nothing for longer.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room far away from kitchen and pool area if you want sleep
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Wroclaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed in Toddy's because I booked the hostel with The Rock Tour and it wasn't amazing but also wasn't totally bad. Advantages: friendly staff, well equipped kitchen, clean rooms. Disadvantages: poor breakfast, dirty swimming pool, general mess made by party people (and nobody calming down their parties in the middle of the night).
My friends stayed at Annie's Place and when I visited them their hostel seem a bit better e.g. they not only have a wi-fi but also a few computers for those who (like me) travel without them. Aslo they had a policy about bringing in alcohol, witch made this place cleaner and a bit calmer in the night

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We went to Alice Springs, not fully knowing what to expect, and although it is a very pleasant place to stay...we couldn't really find much we wanted to do. We were in Alice Springs for the sole purpose of going on The Rock Tour.

The first 2 nights we stayed at Toddy's were pretty good, not the best but pretty good. The bathroom could have been cleaner and organizing people's dorms so that everyone going on The Rock Tour on a certain same day stayed in the same dorm. We had a lot of people getting up early and/or keeping us up late due to doing things at different times, but I am being quite critical there. Everything else was okay, the kitchen was quite tidy, the common area with WiFi had a good atmosphere and a basic breakfast was served every morning.

After 2 nights staying at Toddy's it was time to go on The Rock Tour, this was without a doubt one of the best things I've ever done, period. Our Tour guide was named Josh, his enthusiasm for aboriginal culture and friendly personality made him a universal success with everyone on the tour. He was a large part of why we enjoyed it so much, and sleeping under the stars in the middle of the outback is an experience I will never forget. I can't tell you how much I recommend this tour, If we have some money towards the end of our Australia trip, we may do even do it again.

When we came back to stay for one more night at Toddy's Backpackers our room was much better and we were with a lot of people who had already been on the tour, so I guess it's just luck of the draw. I will definitely stay at Toddy's again if I return to Alice Springs.

Additionally, The Rock Bar and The Rock Tour office are all really good aswell, you can get cheap food and drinks from The Rock Bar (perfect for a night out after you've been on The Rock Tour) and The Rock Tour office is full of friendly people who have some great advice and great deals on certain packages..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Met a lot of great people here, there's a good restaurant/bar and common area and a pool where people would congregate and you could get to know other travelers. The rooms and the bathrooms are not very clean and the pool is pretty cold. Wifi was available but no one was really able to connect to it. It is a pretty far walk from the main town center, about 20 minutes. Although it was not the best conditions I've seen in a hostel, I had fun staying there because of the people I met and they have great people working there.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The first night was not the best - the bathroom was filthy and my roommates were really loud but on returning from The Rock Tour I got moved to a new room and it was really spacious, with a very clean bathroom! However, in and out of my room every day were guests going on the tour or returning so there was not much socialising going on as every one wanted an early night and we were constantly woken up early by loud tour-goers. The staff are friendly and the free internet is a bonus but sadly it is not all the reliable and you can't access it in your room. The free breakfast on the other hand is great, plenty of choice to keep you going all day! One major draw-back for me was the distance of the hostel to town. Considering most people advice you not to walk alone at night it meant I was spending a bit on taxis every time I was out later than 7-8pm. The walk takes about 20mins but feels a lot longer in the heat and is not next to anything (other than a bowling alley) so I needed to go into town most days. I would only stay here if you are going on the rock tour, it's great in that regard for meeting people but otherwise it's location and lack of longer-than-one-night guests are just too inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the "motel" rooms near the carpark
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Katoomba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed at Toddy's in Alice Springs for a week. This place is the perfect base of operations for the exploration of the red center. The staff at the hostel are fantastic. The rooms are cool and spacious. Great pool and bar facilities and a very convenient location. Staying at Toddy's felt like staying at home. Also the Wifi was free and fast.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are cooler in the hot months.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Toddy's Backpackers? Share your experiences!