“Reasonable hotel for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chifley Alice Springs Resort

You added Chifley Alice Springs Resort to your Saves list
Chifley Alice Springs Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   34 Stott Terrace, Alice Springs, Northern Territory 0870, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Alice Springs
London, United Kingdom
“Reasonable hotel for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a reasonable hotel for a short stay in Alice Springs. We stayed on two occasions for one night each time. One room felt a bit dated and tired but it was clean and perfectly functional and we felt it represented reasonable value for money. The free WiFi was a bit flakey but just about sufficient for us to manage online check-in for our flight.  The restaurant was very good although the service was a little mixed on both occasions. Some waiters are excellent but the drinks can be very slow to arrive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChifleyASP, Manager at Chifley Alice Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi Wiggyh,

Thank you for your review of Chifley Alice Springs on the two nights you spent with us.

I have passed on your comments about the mixed and slow service you received in the restaurant to the Food & Beverage Manager to look into.

I am pleased you found your room to be clean and functional with reasonable value for money. We do pride ourselves on these aspects.

Thanks again for the review and I wish you safe travels for the rest of your adventures.

Scott Healey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I was scheduled to stay at the Chifley from 10/18/13 through 10/25/13. Because of the length of my stay(?) I was "upgraded" a room. Room was nothing special and would not merit an "upgrade." Was towards back of resort on second floor. (If, as others have mentioned, you have mobility problems, there is no elevator to second floor.) Room had two queen beds, bathroom with shower, own personal safe and mini bar.

First evening I went down to relax and have a meal. Restaurant was almost empty. Nevertheless, I asked if I would need reservations, and was told yes. Decided to take a chance and not reserve. Good choice, as restaurant was still almost empty. Food was nothing special, and was *wildly* overpriced. (As was breakfast buffet. Skip this and order a la carte if available.)

I was due to leave on a tour the next morning, and was picked up promptly, Unfortunately I was injured on tour and subsequently hospitalized. Therefore, I spent only two of seven planned nights. Staff was aware of this as they visited me in the hospital and brought me some items from the gift shop. They packed up all of my belongings and had them delivered to the hospital, saying that they had given my room to someone else, but should I be able to leave the hospital that they would most definitly find me another room. Was unable to ever return due to continued hospitalization.

Nevertheless I was charged for the entire stay. I realize that the hotel was within their right to do so, but given that they had already assigned my room to another, in effect they made a double profit on this room. It would have been nice had they prorated my room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ChifleyASP, Manager at Chifley Alice Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear lovetotravel1018,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review of Chifley Alice Springs and informing us of your concerns. I trust your health has improved and I am pleased that our Front Office Manager visited you on three occasions and stayed in constant contact with you during your time in hospital.

I have taken the opportunity to have a detailed discussion with the Front Office Manager surrounding aspects of your review and would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact myself on +61 8 8951 4545 or am.alicesprings@chifleyhotels.com at your convenience so these discussions can take place.

Once again though, thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife, my 16 month old son and I have stayed here twice now and it is a pleasant enough place to stay. It has a couple of Wow factors 1) the Barra on Todd restaurant has a good selection of food and the service is excellent and 2) the swimming pool is a good size, a good place to socialize with a pool bar and the water is warm. The location of the Chifley is also good - only 5 minutes walk into town, so you can have a old time in Alice without all the "locals issues" at night. There is also a Hertz rental office on sight and a laundrette, which are useful for seasoned travelers.

The rooms we stayed in are like chalets, good size , but the window slide doors take some getting used to. Prepare to have the passing world look in on you. The bathroom is a good size, my only concern is the water goes from cold to scalding hot very quickly - there is not much in between. Also being a father, there could be more for kids, a swing or slide for example, the space is there. Also there is Fox Sports, but a Movie Channel, pay per view or otherwise would be welcome.

Quibbles aside, this is a good place to stay, there is a good atmosphere about the place and I would certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
ChifleyASP, Manager at Chifley Alice Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hi Robkanandwill,

Thank you for your review of Chifley Alice Springs.

I am glad you and your family had a good stay with us and enjoyed the pool area - it has certainly been getting a lot of use lately with the warm temperatures we are having.

I have passed on your comments to the Food & Beverage team who were very pleased to read your feedback about good food and excellent service. This is something we pride ourselves on.

We are currently reviewing our channel selection and I have passed on your comments to the Maintenance team about the water temperature in our Terrace Court rooms who will look into this.

Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Warm regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Good location to walk around in Alice Springs (reptile centre, town centre, restaurants). The rooms were average and reminded me of a sparse motel. Bathrooms very basic, but ours was clean. Pool was great, always a sun-bed up for grabs. Really good food at the Barra on Todd restaurant (the one at the hotel), we had some good meals here (though don't order the beef burger it was a bit weird). Excellent smoothies, really helpful staff.

Room Tip: We had fountain court rooms and our wifi access wasn't the best. It also didn't have a minib...
Dear CanadianGirlAbroad86,

Thank you for your recent review of Chifley Alice Springs.

I am glad you enjoyed the pool area and found the restaurant had 'really good food'. The kitchen team was happy to read this.

We are located very close to the town centre and a number of other attractions which makes it easy to get around on foot.

Once again, thank you for your review and safe travels.

Warm regards,
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for 1 night - very busy check in - we timed it badly just after a coach arrived and the receptionists were a little busy. Upon my wife asking what the $1 charge to the credit card was at check in, she was responded to with a less than helpful response. Not a good first impression. Overall the hotel is clean, rooms are comfortable and clean, dinner for room service was OK, breakfast was poor though - cold 'hot buffet' food, no sausages, no plates upon arrival, really quite miserable way to start your day. Its OK for a one night stopover, wouldn't want to stay much longer.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room in the ghost gum block overlooking the river todd - nice views over the back of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChifleyASP, Manager at Chifley Alice Springs Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Essjay2730,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you found your room clean and comfortable and apologise that you had some issues with a slow check in and the breakfast offering. The Executive Chef has read your comments and is currently reviewing the operations.

Once again, thanks for your feedback and enjoy the rest of your time in Australia.

South of England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This hotel is locate across the Todd River from central Alice Springs and is about a 5 minute walk. The facilities are of a good standard and the bedrooms were adequate and clean. The complex had the feel of a motel due to its layout
We ate in the restaurant as a group of 27 which did cause an issue with the staff as the service was slow.
The pool area was nice especially on a hot day.
The hotel was adequate for our stay as one nigh in Alice Springs was enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi thefamilyguy61,

Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read you found the facilities of a good standard and the rooms clean. This is certainly something we pride ourselves on.

The pool area is a nice place to relax on our hot days and is certainly getting a lot of use at the moment.

Enjoy the rest of your tour around Australia.

Jamestown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed at the Chifley in November, 2013 for one night. The facility is a little dated, but it was very clean and the service staff was excellent. Our room was a little small and it had an odd "window wall" as the only entry and exit into the room. Odd, but not objectionable. The room was clean and pretty well appointed and we had adequate room. It did take a while to figure where the light switches were.

We didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but we did have drinks from the bar. The restaurant and bar area is very nice and adjoins the pool.

The hotel provides free wifi, but we didn't have reception in our room and had to log on in the hotel lobby.

The hotel is well-situated and as we had a car, we had no problem getting around town.

We would stay here again.

Dear Roger W,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Chifley Alice Springs.

I am glad you found the room clean and received excellent service from the staff - I have passed your comments on to everyone.

We are constantly reviewing our wifi offering and I have asked our service provider to look into the issue you have raised.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Scott Healey

Been to Chifley Alice Springs Resort? Share your experiences!