“campground is a mess” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Heartbreak Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northern Territory
Heartbreak Hotel
You added Heartbreak Hotel to your Saves list
Cnr Tablelands Highway and Carpentaria Highway | Cape Crawford, Northern Territory, Australia   |
Sf Bay Area
“campground is a mess”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I spent one night in the campground at a powered site, while travelling from Darwin to Cairns. Yes, this place is a very long distance from anything else (295KM east of the Stuart Highway, 375KM north of the Barkly Highway), but even so they could do much better with minimal effort. We arrived mid-afternoon, and were told that we could "choose" any available powered site. Upon driving back into the campground, I found nearly all the powered sites were already occupied, except four sites that were oddly perpendicular to the 16 already occupied sites. I pulled in as best I could, without blocking anyone else, and setup my campervan for the evening. Shortly afterwards, more & more campers arrived, all seeking powered sites. By sundown, the campground looked like a war zone, with campers parked at all sorts of strange angles, in an attempt to access power & water, while not blocking in others. Beyond the layout issues, the bathroom facilities were crude at best. The showers had no seating or shelves, such that I had to juggle all of my bathroom supplies while standing. The toilets were filthy. When I made the mistake of inquiring about wifi, they laughed at me and said "we have nothing". Around 7PM, the evening's "entertainment" arrived at the front of the property, a truly horrible Elvis impersonator, who butchered numerous songs from the 50s & 60s while a karaoke machine provided the music. I assumed that this would wrap up, or at least quiet down at a reasonable hour. But no, instead they went into full-on karaoke night around 9PM. This terribly auditory onslaught continued for hours. While I'll freely admit that I went to bed earlier than most folks (a bit after 9PM), its because I had a very long day of driving planned for the following day, and needed to get up early. Instead I was kept awake until nearly midnight by a trio of employees butchering one song after another. Around 10PM, I wandered over to see what was going on, and there were literally no guests participating, it was just employees. I fail to grasp why all the guests had to be subjected to this disaster. It was beyond inconsiderate to blast loud, horrible music into the night, just for the entertainment of the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Alice Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

If you book a dongah room at this stay during the colder months, then be warned. The room has an air conditioner only, and you are given two cotton "blankets" which makes for a very cold, very long night.....so don't even think about heading out there without your doonas and a portable heater! Have never seen such basic bathroom facilities that are so poorly maintained. Don't expect to find a soap dish in the shower recess. They had a good cook at the time that we were there, I have to say, and the casual staff were very friendly, and as helpful as they might be expected to be under very difficult circumstances. It was very obvious to us that this is a business that exists solely to make a profit, with seemingly no understanding on the part of the owners of the basics when it comes to the comfort of their guests.

Room Tip: Take a caravan, rather than book a dongah room, or go in the summer so that you do not freeze to dea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hervey Bay, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

But the only place to stay if you wish to visit the Lost City by helicopter

It is an accident waiting to happen, badly in need of maintenance. You migh score a light in the donga room or you might not, it just might be a live connection, and take care when you walk on the verandah the boards buckle as you go. The last reviewer was generous, no stars from me.
Green frogs in the toilets, shower room doors that dont close! I guess you could say it is stepping out of the 1930's so is an experience at that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed here briefly travelling on the alternative route to Darwin via Cape Crawford. This is a very basic outback roadhouse/pub/cabin setup. The accommodation is very, very basic... just a donga, a door, a bed and a rattly aircon unit. The amenity block is a short walk via a dirt courtyard and I found cane toads inside. It does have a nice pool though.
It is a strange place with many locals constantly turning up to buy their alcohol.
The pub is also very basic, the fridge wasn't working so the drinks were kept cold in an esky.
We did book and confirm an ensuite room, but apparently one of the owners turned up and occupied it so our booking wasn't honoured.
Expect little and you won't be surprised! 2 stars

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Heartbreak Hotel? Share your experiences!