“People Friendly City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sydney

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sydney
Directions
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
APPLE VALLEY
“People Friendly City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We have just spent a month traveling the main cities in southern Australia and have to say that Sydney was the highlight! Even though it is home to more than 4 million people, we had no sense of the big city while there. People went out of their way to be friendly, helpful and courteous. The city itself has easily available restrooms, walking paths, shade areas, information booths and food! It was clean, calm and beautiful! The botanical garden was amazing! We would love to go back!

Gainesville, Florida
“The Friendliness of Australians: A Short Story”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

First off, I'd like to say that Australia is the farthest I have ever been from the States and also that it was by far the Friendliest country I had ever been to.

I thought this was incredibly funny and shows some light into the Australian personality.

We are driving into my cousins' apartment (they are both in their mid 80s) and as we are pulling in an Aussie (Australian citizen) makes to walk in front of the car, but then he sees us pulling in.

He steps back and waves us in.

My cousin, the driver, stops by the man and says jokingly "I insist!".

The man then playfully says "No, no, you go ahead. You look like a dodgy driver anyway!"

We all got a few chuckles out of that one.

Excellent people.. The majority (9.9 out of 10) of people I've met in Australia have been SUPER friendly.

I'm buying some meat in the deli and the butcher notices my accent and he says "How's your trip so far mate? Enjoying Australia?"

I'm taken aback of course. In the US I take a jog every morning, I wave to people, say "Hi" to them, but the majority of Americans just aren't friendly. Maybe its just where I live, but its quite bothersome. I feel my social interactiveness is limited here. BUT.. Whatever.

Australia is the friendliest country I have been to, hopefully on my upcoming Europe trip the people will be just as nice!

I would also like to add that Australia has very beautiful cities.. Brisbane and Sydney were my main attractions

Check out the pics =]

The captions don't seem to be working. =[

Liverpool
“Sydney Such a huge city but brilliant .....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

I visited SYD around november time 2006. It was such a huge city , evey destination was a train or bus dride away. I was travelling alone , so i decided to stay at backpackers hostels . I enjoyed the experience of staying at these low budget accomodation , i also met some interesting people along the way. One of my favourite memories of SYD would have to be either the ' Blue mountains' Or just generally strolling around the busy streets of Sydney by the Opera House .
Some really good beaches in Sydney i did the coastal walk which takes you from Bondi to Coogee beach . Do it on a cool day because it took me an hour halfor maybe bit more to walk .

Any questions on hostels , bars etc let me know .

Mike

Ferndown, United Kingdom
“Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

A nice city though it reminds me of London as people seem to be racing around.
The sites are great to see.

Ive never seen so many Mc Donalds in a square mile like Sydney.

Brisbane, Australia
“First Stop Duwn Under”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

For first time travellers to 'The Land Down Under' Sydney is a must see destination. The city has so much to offer tourists with plenty of sight seeing - The Harbour Bridge and Opera House, shopping- The Rocks, plenty of museums and attractions- The Aquarium and lots lots more! The city is teeming with bars, resturants, clubs and nightlife.
Chinatown and The Darling harbour are a must and no trip to Sydney is complete without a guided tour of the Opera House!
For a once in a lifetime experience head to Sydney for New Years Eve and I can bet you've never see a fireworks display like this one!

Been to Sydney? Share your experiences!