“French food in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Brasserie

La Brasserie
Shop 28, 118-126 Crown St, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Inner East)
+61 2 9358 1222
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,148 of 5,106 Restaurants in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Inner East
Description: Bar:With our extensive French wine list, La Brasserie is also the ideal venue to host your function at our bar which is the centrepiece of our restaurant. With platters of cheese & fresh charcuterie, our famous French bar food complete the laid back feel to your function.Private Room:Our beautifully appointed private dining room accommodates from 10 to 35 seated guests in an intimate Parisian setting, or up to 50 people for cocktail-style functions.Entire Restaurant: La Brasserie is happy to organise your function in the main dining area. Our premises can cater for functions for up to 100 guests. We can also arrange to have the entire restaurant set aside for functions such as weddings and corporate launch functions.Booking is essential and 10% surcharge apply for group of 10 people and over.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“French food in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I used to live near La Brasserie when I was working in Sydney. I recently visited Sydney and found La Brasserie to still serve authentic French food with great service (unlike some French restaurants in Paris). I like the soufflé appetizer but the escargot are also good. It is located on Crown off of William in a residential area so not in a prime tourist area like Darling Harbour. There are several other restaurants nearby and several have gone out of business over the last few years but La Brasserie is going strong.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“HENS' NIGHT & STRIPPERS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had read that ‘La Brasserie’ was an authentic French bistro. We used to love ‘Tabou’ before it closed down and I was hoping to find a bistro as good as Tabou – especially as Tobou was before the change of ownership … back in the days when there was the 3 course fixed price menu of the type you often find in France.

All the staff are actually French and the food was pretty good, the service was pretty good, the space feels authentic.

The private room is right in the restaurant space and separated only by a curtain. We knew there was a hens’ night or similar going on as we heard loud screeches from time to time throughout the night, but just after 10.30pm we vaguely noticed the 2 guys who were the strippers moving around the private room and the toilets. Then the act started and the noise was what you would expect from an RSL club. Very loud screeching, screaming, the French bistro music still playing but dominated by the classic stripping songs. It is unbelievable that the owners decided to take a booking for a hens’ night with strippers with a restaurant full of diners who had come for a French bistro experience..

The restaurant called to confirm in the afternoon and could have warned us, but chose not to. We put up with it for 30 minutes but had to go at that point.

When the strip show started the owner might have come around with an apology and if it was me I would have offered a complimentary dessert wine or petit fours, but no, it seemed that we were just expected to put up with the RSL atmosphere.

I probably would not have mentioned the $9.50 charge for a mid-sized bottle of sparking mineral water, but reviewing the bill against the back-drop of screeching hens this sort of thing becomes galling.

Hard to believe a restaurateur would have so little respect for his core client group. It was our first visit and we won’t be going back. If you go, I’d suggest asking what is going on in the private room.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marrickville, Australia
“Awesome Authentic French Cuisine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great atmosphere, amazing food, authentic dishes, will be coming back for more!

My only experience with French food prior to visiting La Brasserie was Iron Chef, so I didn't really know what to expect. We were seated at the couple booths down the back of the restaurant, great atmosphere, very cosy, great setting for an intimate Friday dinner.

Food was very rich, creamy and full of flavor, everything I expected it to be!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“A little pice of France in the heart of Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great little restaurant in Darlinghurst. Prices are moderate, and atmosphere is fantastic. I had booked the private function area for my 50th, and everyone had a great night. The food and service were wonderful, and the French wines were reasonably priced. The staff were really helpful

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Back to form”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I returned here recently after a less than impressive visit some months previously and have to say the food was back to it's normal high standard. Fish soup was excellent as was the beef and veal liver and all desserts. Ambience is just like a bistro in Paris. Just one quibble: the service doesn't always do justice to the superb food coming out of the kitchen. More respect for the chef, please guys.