“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #924 of 5,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Georges Mediterranean Bar & Grill on King Street Wharf is Sydney's ultimate waterfront dining venue with views over Darling Harbour,offering delicious Greek Mediterranean cuisine.
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Loving Greek cuisine after a holiday in Greece many years ago I was disappointed to find an extremely limited menu and pleasant but poor service. My husband ordered a mocktail (called Sweet Mandy) for my daughter, having told the waiter that she was sixteen, however, she was served an alcohol laced "zombie"! This was quickly replaced after my daughter tasted it, pulled a face and we discovered the error, however, it should never have occurred. The rather expensive wine list is lacking a good variety of Greek wines and beverages, the olives did not arrive (but appeared on the bill) the entrees were very tasty however four out of five main courses were disappointing, one having to be returned to the kitchen and while a replacement was produced, it was long after the other members of our party had finished their meals. The restaurant is lacking any ambience, stark white walls and no music in a rather empty restaurant (on a Saturday evening) is not appealing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Canberra
“Superb service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had the most delicious meal last Saturday night at Georges. Hubby and I shared their 7-course Greek Feast and it was fabulous! Every course was tasty but the Greek lamb at the end was the best I have ever had. The service was excellent as well. I know where I will be going next time I visit Darling Harbour.

• Visited May 2013
Sydney
“Different treatment with a voucher?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband as given a voucher to Georges for his birthday. You have to reserve a table 24 hours in advance a give your voucher # which he did. We booked for a Monday night. The restaurant is very quiet on Monday night, as are the others in the area. My thoughts are that vouchers are to encourage people who have never been to a restaurant to try it and return - well with the treatment from the manager (owner?) that we didn't receive we won't be back! Our table was set for outside - it was coolish but these tables don't have tablecloths or upholstered chairs. The set menu was already on the table so it was definitely for us! I asked to be seated inside, which was done, after consultation with the manager. The restaurant is huge and there were 3 other tables occupied.
The meal was OK but when you count a bowl of olives as 1 course, a small plate of nuts as another, the 7 course meal is really quite small. No problems, it was a gift, we were happy with that.
What I do object to is not being treated as any other customer - the waitperson was very good and very friendly but we did not get one smile from the manager at all and not one question was asked 'did you enjoy your meal?' Both my husband and myself felt very uneasy during the whole dinner.
I believe anyone with a voucher should be treated exactly the same way as anyone without a voucher - we would never have gone there if it hadn't been a gift and we certainly won't be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lennox Head, Australia
“Lovely food, good service on Darling Harbour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visited on a lovely sunny autumn day and sat outside where we had a good view of the boat traffic on Darling Harbour and where we could people watch to our heart's content. A wonderful place to sit over a long leisurely lunch.
Staff were attentive, knowledgable and professional.
I had the the goat slow cooked in a bag with spinich and tomato while my wife had the slow cooked lamb. Both were excellent and went well with the very drinkable Greek red wine with an unpronounceable name.
An experience to be repeated next time we are in Sydney.

• Visited April 2013
Southern Finland, Finland
“Delicious dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just popped in this restaurant one evening in March. Hadn't even read any reviews beforehand. Loved the decor, atmosphere, meze-styled dinner and service. Easy to go with a toddler. A bit pricey but would go again if in Sydney.

• Visited March 2013