“Fell Short of Expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Fell Short of Expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My fiancee chose Glass for her x0th birthday, after a previous delicious meal she'd eaten there. We had very high expectations from reviews and her experience.
The restaurant is tastefully decorated and has a classy, yet relaxed ambiance. The staff were all attentive, friendly and polite. The food was served quickly and was clearly made from very fresh produce.
We shared three tapas dishes for entree, all of which were delicious (Seared scallop, lemon curd, leek, bacon & horseradish; Prawn toast, smoked corn, chipotle aioli; Duck croquettas, tomato chutney, truffle mayo).
For main, I ordered: "Confit then roasted duck, spinach, grilled mango & fennel, marsala sauce". This was the best duck I have eaten in a Western restaurant, but still did not live up to Eastern standards. Our Western chef's need to study their Eastern peers to learn how to make this bird's inherent richness of flavour and texture really sing.
Our real problem was with the 'design' of my fiancee's main course and the reaction we received to our dissatisfaction. She had: "Snapper fillet, tempura prawns, Thai salad, spicy broth". A fresh snapper fillet was cooked perfectly, leaving it moist and tender with perfect skin. A Thai(?) salad was placed on top, consisting of radish and coriander. Tempura prawns (unfortunately overcooked) surrounded it. This was brought to the table, then without consultation, it was drowned with a mildly spicy broth. Sitting in this broth makes the snapper unpleasantly soggy and ruins the tempura batter. The delicate texture and flavour of fresh snapper and the fine crispness of tempura is totally lost to an insipid 'fish soup'.
When we were asked how we were enjoying our mains, my fiancee very politely said that she did not like the fish and explained why. This was met with stunned silence, then incredulity. At least one of the waiters was politely apologetic. The maitre d' told us that the head chef spent many hours crafting this dish's design and that it is one of their most popular dishes...that they have sold hundreds...but he would pass on our feedback. I had a feeling I had just been subtly(?) put in my place.
My fiancee soldiered through as much more of the meal as she could. Instead of the planned leisurely coffee and desserts, we took our leave. It was quite disappointing that a special occasion should end precipitously in such a well known and respected establishment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Slack cocktails but great for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Glass is aptly named as there is a lot of it on display at this fine restaurant. We were a party of 6 for lunch and when we arrived the place was quite full. We ordered a cocktail to start while we perused the menu. There must be problems at the bar because our 2 drinks arrived but no one elses. So we waited and waited untill in the end after about a 5 min wait we asked the waiter about the other 4 drinks, he appologised and retered with another 2 so again we waited for another 5 mins before the last cocktail arrive. Phew what a bad start it became quite a topic of conversation until our food arrived to smooth our attitudes. I have to say that it was superb, I ordered something called Crudo which was a combo of minced smoked salmon in a mayo with a tempura morton bay bug Simply devine, my main was Snapper fillet with prawns and a Thai broth, I was in heaven, we all agreed that the food although expensive was the best food we have had in a restaurant for ages. Glass get a big grip on your cocktail waiter as it was the only complaint we all had

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Celebrity Chef eats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is the onsite restaurant as the Hilton and I have enjoyed both breakfast and dinner here over a few stays. Top quality food and service in a very modern restaurant. The breakfast buffet is full of goodies and they have a small bar for pre-dinner drinks. You won't be disappointed.

Visited October 2013
Bathurst,,Australia
“Perfect for supper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

After a show in the city Glass is the perfect place for a nightcap and snack; very relaxing, wide choice of cocktails and some great food choices. Quiet and very attentive service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
glassbrasserie, Owner at Glass Brasserie, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear troppodon,

Thank you for feedback and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our food and beverage offering on a recent post-show visit to glass.

We hope to see you back at our restaurant again soon.

Happy dining,
Luke
Melbourne, Australia
“Pretty disappointing overall”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Went in here at 9pm on a Tuesday night after flying in from Adelaide. Place was busy not packed... Took 1hr for my steak. Got one apology, but no one offered me drinks or extra glass of wine etc. I thought this was shocking especially when you charge premium prices for your steak. My steak was very good although it was not seasoned so I had to add some salt in. Again at almost $50 for a steak I'd expect some decent salt not just some shaker at table. Wouldn't rush back to this place in a hurry. It's 10:30pm now :(

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Drar Ashley N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent dining experience at glass brasserie.

I am sorry to hear that you waited an hour for your steak; I will be sure to flag this issue with my kitchen team in order to prevent such future occurrences.

Minimal seasoning is a precaution to cater for the many varying palates that we cater for at the restaurant, given that guests can further season their own dishes at the table. Thank you for additionally airing your concerns regarding our salt grinders and we hope to better our offering based on your feedback.

Best regards,