“Glass is clearly ahead of the rest” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Glass is clearly ahead of the rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Must say, it could have ended badly. My friend had enticed me back to Glass, after a not so special experience 4 years ago.
On arrival, the reception was aggressive, inefficient and unhospitable. My friend had booked for two the day prior and asked for a booth, as I have some issues with certain chairs and my back.
The restaurant wasn't full and there were plenty of booths free, yet the reservation manager. brushed us off and sent us to a table in the middle of the room - set up for 4!
And that's when good management defines the dining experience ahead. The manager swept us up quickly and directed us to the perfect booth of choice, also cushioning the blow (literally), by giving me a pillow to support my back.
After settling in nicely, we headed for the tapas and a good Pinot Gris accompanied by a medley of yummy delights.
The menu as a whole, was very good. The wine list is extensive, well thought out, and affordable. Yet to do a dinner there, but lunch was excellent and aside from the angry start...the staff and service exceptional

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
glassbrasserie, Owner at Glass Brasserie, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear hungry c,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent dining experience at glass brasserie.

It is great to hear that we have had the pleasure of hosting you again at our restaurant after a regrettable past experience- and even better to learn that despite a rusty start, we had you leave on a positive note.

We will endeavour to continue lifting our standards and hope to impress you at our restaurant again in the near future.

“Breakfast at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked a table for breakfast after going for dinner as well (beautiful dinner and beautiful atmosphere at night!).
I had a delicious meal. You have so many options with the full breakfast ($42) that it's impossible to be disappointed.
Everything is well presented and in season. In particular, the hush-browns were crispy and light (and in a buffet breakfast it's really easy to have them sitting in the tray for too long and becoming soggy), and scrambled eggs tasted like they are supposed to (like fresh egg, not mostly milk/cream). Plenty of healthy options, plenty of freshly squeezed juices, beautiful pastry options, outstanding fresh crunchy bread (walnut and date bread was my favourite).
We also had a Mignon bottle of Moet to complete the experience.
The service was five-star.
I definitely recommend going.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
glassbrasserie, Manager at Glass Brasserie, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear ElenaScar,

Thank you for your review.

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent buffet breakfast- particularly our food quality, variety and staff service.

We look forward to hosting you back at our restuarant again soon.

Hilton Breakfast Team
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Even though I have been a faithful follower of Luke Mangan since first going to the original 'Salt' restaurant in Darlinghurst many years ago, Sunday night degustation dinner on the 14 April at Glass was a vast disappointment. I'm usually not interested nor impressed with the fitout of restaurants, my attention is always devoted to the tasks in hand – the eating and drinking. Consequently the much vaunted view through the 13 metre floor to ceiling windows of the old poorly-light sandstone building facade across the street didn't interest or astound. Unfortunately neither did any of the dishes that comprised the 7 course degustation with wine that was our long-planned purpose for the evening. Degustation dinners are normally a great way to sample the chefs best offerings, and when they come with a glass of matching wine, they take all the hassle and stress out of deciding what to order. Usually there is always a WOW factor in Lukes creations but the dishes that we were presented with tasted bland and ordinary, including the signature blue swimmer crab omelette. The other task in hand, the drinking, bordered on high theatrical farce. Our french-accented wine waiter would show each bottle brought to the table and explain its provenance, by rote, as he poured. Any and all questions we had about the wine were answered by the waiter reading and reciting the label on the back of the bottle !! At $235 per person, I was far from impressed with the nights wining and dining.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Uncleron-60,

It is certainly a shame that we weren't able to deliver you a 'wow' factor with our degustation and matching wine- but are very grateful for your insight and feedback regarding food and service. We are currently in the process of compiling our winter menu and we will definitely strive to liven up our dish offerings- particularly for our degustation offering.

It is wonderful to learn that you have been been enjoying my food since my 'Salt' days and hope that I can continue to offer you memorable dining experiences to come.

Luke
“Great night out !! Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a great table by the window with my 3 girlfriends and had a lovely meal. The Oven roasted chicken & the ravioli were the winners of the night as was the signature licorice and lime dessert. It would have been perfect however the scowl from the unhappy front desk lady started and ended our experience on a low note. Thankfully the food was divine and the waiters were quick & helpful

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
glassbrasserie, Owner at Glass Brasserie, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear HolidayFoodJunkie,

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience with us at glass brasserie.

I am sorry to hear that your evening started and ended on a low note; a guests experience at the front desk upon arriving and leaving are two key points of communcation and I will be sure to reinfornce this with my staff.

I am delighted to hear that the rest of your dining experience was thoroughly enjoyed, especially the food and waiter service!

All the best and we hope to see you back at glass soon.

“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is Luke Mangan's Sydney restaurant and is our fourth visit. It has been outstanding every time and we look forward to our next experience there.

The atmosphere and service are exactly what you would expect at a hatted restaurant and the food is simply superb.

Visited May 2013
glassbrasserie, Owner at Glass Brasserie, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Pottsy747,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit at glass brasserie.

It is truly wonderful to hear that we continue to offer you memorable dining experiences at our restaurant and we hope to serve you many more exemplar meals in the future.