“BED BUG ALERT - DO NOT STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Home Backpackers

You added Home Backpackers to your Saves list
Home Backpackers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   238 Elizabeth St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #105 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
“BED BUG ALERT - DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Thanks to this dirty and disgusting place, I now have bed bugs in my home. Turns out my not so expensive accommodation was expensive as I had to pay for an exterminator. I couldnt be more angry and upset. So a big thanks to home backpackers for costing me my money and sanity.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

The place was dirty, old and loud. I only stayed because it was the only place i could find for a couple days that would let me stay during the busy restricted xmas season. I knew from reading on here that it wouldn't be luxury and got just that. It was sufficient though and the location was still good. I wouldn't avoid it at all costs but lower your expectations from other hostels when you have to go there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

No fan as mentionned on the website, but extra guests in the room : cockroaches and bed bugs!
Needless to say the place was dirty!!!
And they expect YOU to get dirty: 2 showers for girls (with see-through glass!), 2 for guys (no lights in these) and 1 shared...
Only good thing is it's central

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

me and my boyfriend enjoyed the stay here. when we first arrived to the reception we was worried that it would not be nice inside but it was nice we had our room here. there was bread, jam and sugar and tea, and coffe every morning and left for your use all day. the reception guy there was really helpfull to, we stayed here for about 3 weeks in total.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

Thank god we only spent one night here, reception seemed nice and tidy so it came as a real big shock when we set foot into site b ( the part of the hostel we were in) the stairs are narrow with red carpet ( well it must have been red at one stage) the dirt running up the carpet looked like it had been gathering for years! Then to the next set of stairs, blue carpet this time same story! Getting nervous now! Top of the stairs was a communal fridge! I think if it was swab tested all manner of ecoli would have been found! Then to our room we paid for private! I think sleepin on the street would have been better! The room was tiny with a dingy air fan as air-con, it didn't work! All that was good was the walls were thick and you couldn't here others in the next room! Toilets the same tiny a sink that you actually could not lean over to brush your teeth! There were 2 showers on our floor, one out of order and the other had an extension lead coming through the door. Safe to say I didn't use the shower! I felt I was probably cleaner not washing that night! Not worth any amount of money! Stay here if you dare! Terrible

• Stayed December 2011
Hobart
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Don't stay here. It's dirty and disorganised. You have to rent the towels! When we booked in, the room was dirty - old pizza in the fridge and rubbish in the bin and dirty floors. The carpet was threadbare. The toilets were messy and the floors dirty. There were paper towels to dry your hands on, but the tiny bin filled up very quickly and the used paper towels were all over the floor. The only person on staff we met, had a very rude attitude. Should be delicensed,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My partner and I were stuck for a place to stay in Sydney at short notice and we landed here!
We read the reviews here and started to panic, however when we checked in the guy on the front deask was super friendly and helpful.
We went up the stairs to our room the en-suite double and to our suprise it was very not as bad as people made out! The toilet and shower were clean and we even had a couch seat and foot rest! I checked the room from head to toe for bed bugs and it was as clean as a whistle as far as i'm concerned (matress look new).
The building is visably old and run down and yes could do with some work, but the prices are good and if your use to backpacking this will be ok for you and your partner.
Some of the shared facilities could do with some work and could do with more cleaning.
Not really a bad place to stay, but I can only speak for the double en-suite room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Home Backpackers? Share your experiences!