“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Tula, Tula, Russia
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

In general, good place for short stay for good price. We had small room for family (2 adults and 7-year child) with two-level bed. We paid for 2-person only – 70 dollars per day (35 dollars per person).It was heated room that important for such class of hotel/hostel and Australian winter. Too “heavy” and noisy locks of doors.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The staff here were so friendly when I booked that I knew i would like staying here. On the day I was meant to arrive I had to call and postpone my arrival by one day. I offered to pay for the night I missed anyway but the staff said it was ok and these things happened. Anyway I arrived and was put in a all male room with cool guys. It was pretty quiet in room 110 where I stayed. It had a view out onto the busy George Street but the room was well sound proofed. The kitchen was in the basement and was always clean. I think the main cause was that the people staying at 790 were mainly working residents. They respected the place and cleaned up after themselves. I would have no problem staying here any time I visited. It was close to the hostel bars which are stumbling distance and very very close to the greyhound pick up / drop off point along with central station. The hostel is next to the YHA and I know I would pick 790 over YHA any day as it was a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 110 which was above Peter Pans. We were able to use are laptops to log onto the fre...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed in a private room which was nice and clean. The kitchen facilities are good, if a bit small with so many people staying. Great TV rooms with large TV's and comfy sofa's. Really central and friendly staff made it a good stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Really clean, quiet hostel. The staff are VERY friendly and upgraded me to the double room which was very nice!
Will return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at 790 on George for 10 days in April/May 2012. This was not only my first trip to Australia, but my first time in a hostel, and I was very apprehensive about staying in any hostel at all, particularly as my girlfriend and I went for the cheaper 790 on George rather than the more expensive (and better looking) YHA just up the block. As it turns out, I have no complaints whatsoever.

We stayed in a private double room with shared bathroom. The room was a moderate size, with a double bed with a single bunk on top, which we used as extra storage space in addition to the wardrobe in the room. There was also one chair under the window, a mirror, and very good A/C with an electronic control in the room. The room was clean and tidy, and the bed comfortable enough even if the blanket could have been a bit warmer. The floor we were on (and possibly the whole hostel) was also quiet at night with none of the disturbances that I thought we would get.

My real fear though was the prospect of sharing a bathroom with a floor of backpackers. But as it turned out my fears were unfounded. The bathroom and toilet were spotlessly clean and the showers powerful and always hot. My girlfriend said that the female bathrooms weren't always so spotless, with some other guests leaving them messy sometimes, but from my experience of the guys' bathroom it was always perfectly fine. Also, only once or twice in our 10 days there was there ever anyone else in the bathroom when I got there, and never did I need to wait for the shower.

The basement kitchen was fine, with enough space in the fridges and dry store to keep all your food and (just about) enough utensils, plates, cups, etc for everyone. We always tried to have a large-ish breakfast quite early on in the day when the kitchen was still quiet. It tended to get a bit chocka at lunch and dinner time. The washing machines and dryers, also on the basement level, were also fine, with laundry powder available at the desk.

A few final points. Firstly, there is very good wi-fi across the hostel, which is charged at $1/hour. This was a bit of a god-send, as we could surf the net in our room if the basement or second floor social area was full. Secondly, the staff are GREAT. Very friendly, easy going, but diligent and always sorted stuff for us in no time. Also occasionally gave us free internet access and washing powder without us asking, and allowed a late check-out on our final day. Finally, the location of the hostel is also a bonus. Although fairly far down George (and therefore a fair walk from CBD/the Rocks) it is still central, right next to Chinatown, with the train station next door and Hyde Park a 5 min walk.

No, the place is not luxurious or anything, but or course it isn't, it's a hostel after all. For the price it is excellent value, and definitely exceeded my expectations by a long way. Staying here was a really good choice to start our time in Sydney.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Donegal Town, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed in a double room in this hostel for five nights and think it was excellent value for money. The location is extremely central right on George St so only 5mins walk to Central Station, 10mins to Darling Harbour and 20mins to Circular Quay. The room was very clean albeit a bit on the small side. The ladies bathroom on our floor was very clean and well maintained. The sitting room looked good although I didn't have time to use it and the kitchen in the basement is a good size. There was a lot of fridge space available and overall the kitchen was clean most of the time. Staff on reception were really nice and friendly. Would definitely recommend this as a good value place to stay in an excellent location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

this backpackers was the cheapest place along william street, sydney. it was right near the train station and a 20-30 min walk to see the bridge and opera house. the place wasclean and tidy and has a huge kitchen in the basement. the guys on the front desk were friendly and helpful too, nat a bad place to stay

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 790 on George? Share your experiences!