“Best cheap eat in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 5,318 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Sydney, Australia
“Best cheap eat in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wife and I have lived within 5 minutes of this place for the past 2 years but the queue has always put us off.

Three months ago we finally gave it ago - been back 4 times already, will be back again soon.

I think we've been through the whole menu now and the standouts for us are the Kari Ayam (great heat), Rokaj Salad (mmm satay), Mee Goreng (best noodles I've had) and roti (I like the plain one, wife likes the onion one) - simple, unpretentious food at fair prices.

The only negatives are really the fact you can't avoid the queue (we once went as a group of 8 and that was a 1 hour mission) and the venue is somewhat cramped and noisy.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Belconnen, Australia
“Truly a Malaysian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My cousin and I are from Penang, Malaysia (place where most Malaysians say its the best place for food) and was recommended often by his friends about this place. So we wanted to do justice and see whether they taste as good as my cousin's friends claim. And boy we were hooked on throughout the time.

The smoke coming out from the restaurant as they grill the chicken and beef satay is so distinctive from the start of the queuing line. It is what you would get in most malay (mamak) cafes in Malaysia. There is always a long queue but its worth the wait if you are patient enough. It takes a fare bit of time to get in if you try to queue around 7pm.

Once you enter, you will feel the buzzing like most Malaysian coffee shops. It is also quite compact and styled in a way where famous coffee shops in Malaysia are known for. We sat down after waiting for 20 minutes outside and was surprised of how cheap the menu is. The price range felt like premium pricing if it was converted in Malaysian Ringgit but reasonably cheap in Australian Dollars.

We had teh tarik, nasi lemak with sambal prawn and cuttlefish and one dozen satay and all I can say is that its as close to the Malaysian taste as you can get in Sydney. The satay sauce and the satay seasoning, the sweetness and milkiness of the teh tarik, and the fragrance of the nasi lemak was spot on that I actually wanted to have another round if I could. Moreover, the bustling environment in a Malaysian cafe like place with the smells and sounds of chefs making roti really adds onto the dining experience.

Overall, as a Penangite and currently living in Canberra, it brought back nostalgic memories as a kid growing up in Penang being to those kind of cafes and having to eat them almost in a daily basis. I would definitely recommend to anyone especially Malaysians who miss Malaysian food if they cannot fly home. I can't wait to go back there if I have the chance.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mooloolaba, Australia
“Eat here every time I visit Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The curries and roti are second to none at this fantastic restaurant. I eat here every time I come to Sydney. Try the chicken kababs and the teh tarik which is like a frothy milky chai. excellent. May have to wait to be seated but once your order is taken then the service is very fast.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florence, Italy
“Fast food palce, but good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Don't be afraid of the line on the front door: it is quick and worth it. The place is simple and BYO wine, the service is really fast and they bring everything together, but the food is good and it is cheap. I fully understand why it has so high score.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
devon
“Quick service at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Ate here because of reviews and were not disappointed, had to queue but that was not a problem as the Fresh roti’s are made in view of the window. Service is quick our curry’s were tasty and spicy but we like it that way, also we had a roti as starter but many people were having them as a main they were so substantial we should of shared one because we could not finish our main not a restaurant to linger they aim to get people in and out as fast as possible they have a a lot of staff who are very attentive.

• Visited September 2013