“Delicious!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Malaya

The Malaya
39 Lime St | King Street Wharf, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
9279 1170
Neighborhood: City Centre
South Australia
“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am an Aussie born 'n bred and was on holiday in Sydney. This restaurant had been recommended so i decided to give it a go. I was staying in Martin Plcae CBD and walked with my friend very easily to the restaurant an then walked back to our hotel again after our meal. easy walking / felt safe.
The view was spectacular, the restaurant crowded and buzzing [on a Monday night!] ... yes we booked ahead and the waiter was sadly a tad disinterested but the food was SPECTACULAR!! We both loved every mouthful. [the waiter seemed to warm up as they ngiht wore on too]
I would say this was the BEST 'Asian' food I have ever had. It really was delicious. Not overly firey - not overly spicy - just full flavoured using spices that were well balanced and so so interesting. There were two of us and we had a bottle of wine. Cost was about $70 per head for entree and main and wine.
next time in Sydney. I will DEFINITELY eat here again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
Bali, Indonesia
“Always amazing !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

There were 8 of us dining and 8 people all with different demands and preferences about their drinks and food, all met with a smile, a polite 'of course, no trouble at all' and prompt service to us all. Well done to the staff at this restaurant, we were a bunch of well travelled and seasoned restaurant goers and you out performed some of the best !! The food was delicious, it always is, the location is great but the staff made the evening special for us all. We will be back when next in town. Thankyou for a great evening !

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good food but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food is of good quality and taste however the dishes cost about 25-30% more than equivalent elsewhere. Part of the excess expense though could be justified by the location. The cocktails are very expensive and so is the wine list (quite an extensive range to choose from though). I probably will not return at the current price of menu items though would not mind if someone else was paying my bill. It is a popular restaurant - probably Sydney people have more cash to spare.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Laksa to die for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I have been here a few dozen times and can never go past the seafood laksa which is the best I have had in Sydney.

However I wanted to share the amazing food with my close friends for my birthday to only be told that a booking of more than 9 people requires a set menu. And there were no exceptions to this, they would not budge.
Very disappointing indeed- no laksa on any of the set menu's and it's so hard to cater for all with allergies and such.

Held the Malaya in very high regard until now, as the person on the other end of the phone was very rude to me about the set menu 'policy'. Get your act together Malaya, set menu's are not for all.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne
“Give the Eggplant and the Prawns a go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Szechaun Eggplant and Kapitan Prawns are the dishes to go for here. We have tried some of the others but always come back to these!

Visited September 2012