“in the top 3” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Brisbane
“in the top 3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have attempted many times to book into this restaurant. I have even faxed and said when there is the next vacancy we will fly down for it. No response. We were off for a trip to Sydney for the weekend and I thought .. will try it on again. Knocked back for the evening but got a lunch appointment.

The vichyssoise with coddled quail egg was good. Always a bit suss on heated vichyssoise..remembering my beloved cousin had an exploitative (on the poor Aussie) job at the Union Tavern near Kings Cross in London where the "punters" use to ask him to heat their cold soup thus tainting anyone who does this to a cold soup forever.

The scallop like oysters with roasted rice vinaigrette was yum. Was worried by the small portion.. was this going to be the Buffalo Club experience?

The salad of the sea was to DIE for. yummy yummy. the best tuna I have ever had! please please may I have more

The Scampi tail was 3 levels of happiness!

The signature dish was level one happiness. yummy yummy yummy.. savoured ever morsel!!

Soy butter with snapper.. this was the best snapper ever .. and the soy butter how good is this stuff? But the mushrooms .. where can I get those?

The corn reduction with the dead duck was again to die for .. and the eggplant was fabby.. but I needed more! ! More! amazing I must cook more eggplant

The beef oh wow ..tender

The pear sorbet made me happy and now I will buy the ice cream attachment for the kitchen aid and attempt this...

BREAD AND BUTTER pudding .. oh wow oh wow.. I think I got a little teary.. the sauce in the cup.. the crunch of the bread.. More please

the chocolate thingy was good. ice cream was yum.

the petits fours.. I liked the pistachio thingy and the macadamia was ama-zing!!! Husband was soooooooo impressed.

Still think Sono Portside does the best oysters.. although these are reasonable

the alcohol... the Sake was fantastic.. the dessert wine 2007 Monbazillac cuvee des anges grande maison south west France .. made me very very happy the first red which was tets own home brand happy happy.... did not appreciate the sommielier's catty comment that Husband was drinking too quick .. and that we could pay more for a top up...

The décor is not matching the food, the garden needs to zing up.. its not the best example of a Japanese garden. Other diners conversations intruded but then we were listening to find out why such a young woman was taking such an old man out.... still clueless .. but I have theories.

This restaurant was not cheap and is the second dearest I have ever been too although Sky on 57 did eventually refund their appalling overcharging for the most disappointing meal of my life.

Sono portside I think maybe better and Husband suspects that Aria Brisbane (not Sydney which is 2 levels of disappointing) may be neck and neck with this place (Aria Brisbane's Peking duck consommé accounts for this along with their Banoffee pie deep sigh happy dance). I think Tets is numero 2. But then that Villa place in Ho Chi Minh was good.. maybe 3..

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Indonesian first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Adored it here. Not only was the food amazing, creative and exciting to eat - but our Sommelier was amazing.

We had the matching wines and he was attentive, friendly and even took us for a tour of the kitchens when we were getting a little bit giggly (after all that wine)

Obviously a very expensive experience, but I would DEFINITELY return.. I had such an enjoyable night, and we were definitely the liveliest people in the restaurant - to which we were encouraged!

I can't wait to return - and I really look forward to the changes in the menu for next season because it's just such an exciting place to visit for a foodie like me!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore
“Tetsuya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was on my bucket list of places to dine at. Good food and impressive environment. But it didnt wow me..perhaps i went to too high an expectation

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Highlight of a milestone birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

What can I say? I've had the opportunity to done at tetsuya's twice so far in my lifetime and it has been definite highlights of my culinary experience. From the moment you step in, and are guided through the journey from freshly baked bread to palate cleaners through meats and desserts, time flies and you can't help but leave feeling a little bit spoilt and a little bit indulgent and definitely a lot more appreciative of quality ingredients, fine techniques and a like you've travelled further than Sydney's Chinatown. If I could make a tersuya's a trifecta, I would be one spoilt girl.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful Degustation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Japanese ten-course degustation menu was world-class with matching service standards by the staff on hand. Worthwhile considering if trying to impress someone special!