“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kobe Jones

Kobe Jones
29 Lime St | King St Wharf, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
02 9299 5290
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,100 of 5,302 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went for dinner last Wednesday on a groupon deal 14-Dish Banquet with Sake for Two ($138). After finding on-street parking just across from the restaurant, I was optimistic that it would be a great night. How wrong.

We were met by a grumpy, almost angry-looking hostess. Bad first impression, but this was made up by nice wait staff. We got a table by the windows- watching the sunset skies change colours was fabulous. What a great location for dinner, if only the food was better than acceptable. One course of tiny beef slices was so hot that I bit the side of my mouth while trying to cough it out, and for a week now, I still have painful canks in my mouth.

The 3 washrooms are marked by L, D and G on the door. Could be a bit confusing for some. Anyhow, the Ladies toilets were so dirty (one had no toilet paper, another had diarrhea on the seat!!!) that I'm forever put off just by the mention of Kobe Jones.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“What happened to Kobe Jones?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I got the impression that when this restaurant was new it was a classy, innovative place to dine. The decor and furniture looked like they had seen better times and that nobody cared about their deteriorated state now. While this is a restaurant with its function to serve food, the state of the furniture seemed to echo the diminished standard of the food. While I did enjoy some dishes, I was overall left feeling that care and quality ingredients had made way for food produced in bulk and not the freshest ingredients used. The service waned as more people arrived at the restaurant. By the time the last of our 8 courses arrived we were yawning and ready to go home.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Not as good as it used to be...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

First went there when Kobe Jones just opened on King Street Wharf. I remembered the restaurant was buzzing with great atmosphere and vibe. I also recalled the food was unique (Japanese fusion) but expensive. I guess times have changed with the economics and so has Kobe Jones. Nowadays, just about all diners, including my wife and I, went to the restaurant with a pre purchased voucher from one of the those discounted websites. At least this was the case on the night we went. The restaurant also seem to now cater for broader audience, such as family and groups of friends. One thing hasn't changed is the view though - sunset was spectacular.

As you would expect,13 course menu had bit of everything; some were average and some were quite delicious. All depends on your palate. Drinks were very pricey and not much variety with wine selection. The courses came out really fast initially and noticeably as more diners came in, the pace of the courses really slowed down.

Overall, not worth the full price so get yourselves one of those discounted vouchers, enjoy the view and the experience.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

great view, great food.
had 13 course menu from group buying website.
food was very good we enjoyed every bit of it.
there was quite a fluctuation with time between the plates,
sometimes very quick, sometimes very long.
but generally happy with food and experience.
only if the extra food we ordered for our son wasn't that expensive...
big serve but Chicken Karaage over 30bucks was painful.

it is not very easy access with pram as no ramp access.

Visited December 2013
Sydney
“Great restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch with my husband, we had a voucher. The service was excellent and the food was very good.
The view is gorgeous.
A lovely lunch experience.

Visited February 2014