“Pleasantly Surprised! Magnificent Views!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quay Restaurant

Quay Restaurant
Upper Level, Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay West, The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia
61 2 9251 5600
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 5,099 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion, Australian, Eclectic
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Pleasantly Surprised! Magnificent Views!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My Husband and I had dinner on the 7th of Feb 2014 for our wedding anniversary. This was not on my list of places to dine but I booked as a suprise for said husband as he has always wanted to eat here.
We had an absolutely wonderful time and I agree that the red headed waiter is an absolute gem. Although this is a fine dining establishment, I found the wait staff and ma��tre d' to be very down to earth which was refreshing.

We had the tasting menu which was not my preferred choice, but I am glad that I tried.
Favourite for me has to be the quail in brioche porridge with hazelnut floss. I thought it was going to be horrible but it was absolutely divine!!!
Food is very rich and we struggled pass the 6th plate, but when you pay $$$$ you tend to try to get value from it.
I would eat here again for a special occasion but perhaps would try the 4 course menu as we felt like rolling out of the restaurant we were so full.

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
“Very good but was it worth $400+?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We always try to have one really good meal while away on a trip and this was the recommended place for Sydney Australia. One is not paying for the food per se at these high end places but the food artistry. And it was very good but very understated, not wow!, and that's why I'm not convinced it was worth over $400 for 2 with only 2 small glasses of wine each. And just 4 small courses. I don't expect to leave feeling stuffed but I should feel sated and my husband was still hungry.
I was shocked at their mark up on the wines. I thought it could not get any worse than Vancouver but apparently Sydney is just as bad.
The service was as expected for this level of dining. Anything less and I would have been disappointed. It was a nice evening but not our most memorable in Australia.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Stunning all 'round”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Booked a table for our 5th year anniversary. I did book it in September 2013 (for Feb 2014) and explicitly asked for a seat by the window, upon arrival, low and behold we were NOT sitting by the window. Now good enough for this type of establishment IMO. Only reason this is not a 5/5. Well, that and the fact they now charge 1.5% to pay on ANY card, credit or debit. Pretty cheap from such a high end restaurant, the finks margins must be tight, last year they could only buy Ferrari 599's for xmas, no Murcielago :( but I digress.

The food (and the wine) the important stuff! Technique wise, there are a few other restaurants on par with quay, but they use of exceptional ingredients tips them ahead. I've eaten here before, a few times, but it's always been mediocre but last time, best meal ever. Some courses better than others, but the worst would still be 7/10.

The staff were rather ordinary, EXCEPT for one. The famous red-ponytail'd monsieur. Seriously, whatever he is being paid, it needs to be more. Exceptional service, knowledgeable and most importantly, engages in banter with clients, but doesn't overstep the mark. Knows when to leave you be and when to chit-chat. I'd even go so far to say he was the best waitstaff i've experienced the world over. 10/10

Value? Subjective, this time, 100% worth the outlay. Perfect venue for a special occasion and highly recommended, though the food can sometimes be hit and miss, it's more generally great, and that's what you should expect. Truly is a restaurant everyone who has the means should try at least once.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney
“Valentines Hit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was our first visit to Quay and we were fortunate enough to have the best table in the house for dinner on Valentines Day. The food was superb, the sommelier friendly and knowledgeable, the service warm and attentive, and the view unbeatable. It is a very expensive venue to dine at, but the demand is such that they can presumably charge what they want.
Definitely not an every day eatery, but for a special occasion we had an excellent evening and felt suitably spoilt. As a couple of other diners mentioned, the credit card surcharge seems unnecessary (who pays for that kind of a meal with cash?) but otherwise we left very satisfied customers!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Great meal at Quay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Remarkable 8-course lunch. Each course beautiful and with an innovative mixture of ingredients. Most were great successes, with visual and flavor counterpoints. Friendly service, picture-perfect dishes, surprising and successful combinations, precise cooking.

Visited January 2014