“Best meal in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quay Restaurant

Quay Restaurant
Upper Level, Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay West, The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
61 2 9251 5600
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: City Centre
“Best meal in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were at the Quay about a week back, and went for the 4-course set lunch. It was probably the most enjoyable meal I had in Sydney. Service staff were very attentive and polite. Some of the more memorable dishes include the yabbies, the squab with abalone, the veal with marrow, and the chocolate dessert (which I personally preferred over the snow egg).

Visited July 2013

• Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful view. Probably not the most exciting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were fortunate enough to get a last minute reservation and enjoyed the tasting menu. We just ate at Sepia a few weeks ago and I'd say, in comparison, Sepia was a much more inventive menu. That said, the view is magnificent and it was nice to cross it off the list.
We were probably most interested in the desserts, most likely because of the hype around them, and picked the snow egg and the chocolate cake so we could try the two. The cake was incredibly rich which suited me but did get a bit too overwhelming.
If you're after a beautiful date place, the view is incredible... but to be honest it felt a little sterile- as most of these places do.
Probably won't be writing home about this meal but I'm glad we did it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great but not amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Quay many months in advance and were very excited by everything we had heard. We opted for the tasting menu and matching classic wine package. The 3 'starter' dishes were very pleasant. I enjoyed most of the wine apart from the chardonnay which tasted and smelt unpleasant. I loved the goose and pig cheek. Absolutely fantastic! The veal dish was too rich for me and made me feel quite ill. The deserts were a major disappointment. Bland and uninspiring. The famous snow egg was the biggest disappointment with both myself and partner. I have to comment on how wonderful the staff were compared to previous reviews, attentive and informative. Overall, I very much enjoyed the Quay, I just wouldn't expext too much from the signature dishes.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
“Best restaurant I've been.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I went there only once and had a great experience: the shark fin soup was excelent, the vitela was just all right but the chocolate cake from The Quay was the best ever! I will never forget the taste, shame I did not go there again last year. Even they showed this cake while I was doing my hospitality course and I was surprised because I already tried it. The flavour and the presentation are superb.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“A room with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

With great food, an amazing view and good service, there's not much to criticise about Quay. You definitely get what you pay for.

When I go out for fine dining, I expect the food quality to be sub-par, and consistent; the flavours to be different; presentation to be pleasing to the eye and the complexity of the dishes to be higher than that in which you can achieve in your mum's kitchen. With Quay, it was exactly that. All dishes were beautifully presented, cooked to perfection and pleasing to the palate. The food did not disappoint. The only critique with the food was that due to my ignorance, I overpowered my palate with strong shellfish flavours and pork fat (note to self: pork jowl and pig cheek are essentially the same as will mud crab, marron and yabby have similar flavours). Other aspects I loved was the delightful bread and essential butter both of which was constantly offered throughout the night; and the amazing view of the harbour. We were lucky to be seated at a table by the window that looked right onto the harbour bridge.

To compliment the wonderful food, the service we got was amazing. I've heard from friends that they felt their waiters were "snobs" and treated them with no respect each time they went to Quay. Our waitress was more than friendly. We exchanged jokes and she went above and beyond to fulfil our every request. When we mentioned we were celebrating good news she even treated us to complimentary chocolates.

I went into Quay expecting the food to be overpriced and service to be terrible. Perhaps as it exceeded my expectations, it made for a more enjoyable night. I'd highly recommend this restaurant and would be more than happy to dine here again once I've saved up enough.

• Visited June 2013