“Beautiful view. Probably not the most exciting menu” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quay Restaurant

Quay Restaurant
Upper Level, Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay West, The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia
61 2 9251 5600
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 4,145 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion, Australian, Eclectic
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful view. Probably not the most exciting menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were fortunate enough to get a last minute reservation and enjoyed the tasting menu. We just ate at Sepia a few weeks ago and I'd say, in comparison, Sepia was a much more inventive menu. That said, the view is magnificent and it was nice to cross it off the list.
We were probably most interested in the desserts, most likely because of the hype around them, and picked the snow egg and the chocolate cake so we could try the two. The cake was incredibly rich which suited me but did get a bit too overwhelming.
If you're after a beautiful date place, the view is incredible... but to be honest it felt a little sterile- as most of these places do.
Probably won't be writing home about this meal but I'm glad we did it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
“Great but not amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Quay many months in advance and were very excited by everything we had heard. We opted for the tasting menu and matching classic wine package. The 3 'starter' dishes were very pleasant. I enjoyed most of the wine apart from the chardonnay which tasted and smelt unpleasant. I loved the goose and pig cheek. Absolutely fantastic! The veal dish was too rich for me and made me feel quite ill. The deserts were a major disappointment. Bland and uninspiring. The famous snow egg was the biggest disappointment with both myself and partner. I have to comment on how wonderful the staff were compared to previous reviews, attentive and informative. Overall, I very much enjoyed the Quay, I just wouldn't expext too much from the signature dishes.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
“Best restaurant I've been.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I went there only once and had a great experience: the shark fin soup was excelent, the vitela was just all right but the chocolate cake from The Quay was the best ever! I will never forget the taste, shame I did not go there again last year. Even they showed this cake while I was doing my hospitality course and I was surprised because I already tried it. The flavour and the presentation are superb.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“A room with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

With great food, an amazing view and good service, there's not much to criticise about Quay. You definitely get what you pay for.

When I go out for fine dining, I expect the food quality to be sub-par, and consistent; the flavours to be different; presentation to be pleasing to the eye and the complexity of the dishes to be higher than that in which you can achieve in your mum's kitchen. With Quay, it was exactly that. All dishes were beautifully presented, cooked to perfection and pleasing to the palate. The food did not disappoint. The only critique with the food was that due to my ignorance, I overpowered my palate with strong shellfish flavours and pork fat (note to self: pork jowl and pig cheek are essentially the same as will mud crab, marron and yabby have similar flavours). Other aspects I loved was the delightful bread and essential butter both of which was constantly offered throughout the night; and the amazing view of the harbour. We were lucky to be seated at a table by the window that looked right onto the harbour bridge.

To compliment the wonderful food, the service we got was amazing. I've heard from friends that they felt their waiters were "snobs" and treated them with no respect each time they went to Quay. Our waitress was more than friendly. We exchanged jokes and she went above and beyond to fulfil our every request. When we mentioned we were celebrating good news she even treated us to complimentary chocolates.

I went into Quay expecting the food to be overpriced and service to be terrible. Perhaps as it exceeded my expectations, it made for a more enjoyable night. I'd highly recommend this restaurant and would be more than happy to dine here again once I've saved up enough.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“disappointed by everything but the view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

When the view is Harbour Bridge on one side and Sydney Opera House on the other then there is very little that can be criticised about the view from Quay. Unfortunately that was the only thing we couldn't criticise. After our initial prompt and friendly greeting at the door the service went steeply down hill. We were offered drinks and after requesting a wine list then sat for ten minutes after closing it before a waiter came and, without asking us if we wanted drinks after our consideration, presented us with the menu. We were quick to decide on the degustation menu with matched wines but yet again waited for a very notable length of time before a waiter came over to ask about our choice. It didn't get any better. Our 'matched' wines were repeatedly out of sync with our course, twice arriving long after the food was set down and, as if to make up for this, occasionally arriving so early we could easily finish them before the next course arrived. the first 3 course were presented in tiny bowls that didn't have liner plates under them, resulting in uncomfortable, messy eating. The yabby was over cooked and the custard's texture suggested it had sat under the lights too long. The beetroot course didn't taste like it had been seasoned at all. The textures were all similar, as was the general presentation. We were offered bread twice before it actually arrived. Once the meat courses started things noticeably improved, but there were still distinct differences between our own two plates of the same dish on at least one occasion. We were impressed with the goose, pork cheek and veal, and by the wine pairings that went with them. Unfortunately as soon as we hit the dessert courses it went down hill again. To be honest they were quite shockingly bad. We were told that the first sweet course was paying homage to the chef's Andalusian influences and we both privately agreed that this dish would probably embarrass the whole region. Dull, overly sweet,eggy taste, oddly textured, visually boring, there was really just nothing pleasing about this dish. The, as we were informed, 'famed', snow egg was even more disappointing. Technically skilled it may be, but it is not very refined to look at and really disappointing on all levels of taste, texture and impressiveness. I didn't finish either of the desserts or the petit fours. Through all of these haphazardly executed, unpredictable courses the staff were rushed, unobservant(so many empty wine glasses, water glasses and general table mess that I won't even list) and unengaged. Twice the sommelier told the waiter he would explain the dish as he poured our wine and then didn't. There were a few excellent staff(particularly one female sommelier) but, disappointing food aside, the service left a really poor impression. My partner and I decided that this definitely didn't rate in the top 50 restaurants we have eaten in, many of them with lesser ratings. It definitely didn't convince us it deserved to be in the top 50 in the world.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere