“One of the best in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“One of the best in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We have been to Atelier a number of times. They had their tenth anniversary on 1 April 2013 and well-deserved it was too. Unfortunately, we were out of town for the specials. The "degustation" normally is our choice, although we have eaten there with friends. It is definitely the "big night out" type of place and expensive. But, to get that quality, you do have to pay. One of the staff is the wife of the chef and when she serves the degustation, she knows just what is in it and tells you clearly. Our last visit, in January 2013, was just after their holidays and they were off to a slow start' perhaps there were tensions on the floor or in the kitchen? Atelier is not "industrialised". By that I mean there is not a set approach and the service normally is very good. It is small, so booking is essential. I would plan not to go there in a car as parking is limited; besides, if you do have a good meal there likely you will be well over the limit for driving! There is no bar as such and there is no outdoor seating, so if you want to smoke, go elsewhere. That will be difficult to do in Sydney (fortunately!).

• Visited January 2013

Sydney
“Should be hatted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Last night our dinner club descended upon this small restaurant in Glebe. There were nine of us in the group including one vegetarian. We decided to have the four course set menu,$65 pp which changed to five when later offered the cheese plate. The staff were attentive and very knowledgable about the food which was stunning. Our vegetarian was catered for with equally inventive dishes. Having been here before I was not surprise by the standard of food and service, Atelier is one of those secret restaurants that one wants to keep for ones self, I have never left feeling hungry or wanting. With exceptional value, fantastic food, and friendly staff, what more could you want?

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Ontario
“Un repas par excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been to Restaurant Atelier three times now and it has definitely become a "must-do" each time I'm in Australia. It's small, intimate and quiet, despite the wood floors, the food is to die for and the waiters were friendly and knowledgeable. The entrees were amazing: king prawn with charred baby cos, smoked pork belly, dashi radish, black olive and yarrow leaf and liquorice-cured venison loin, fresh fig, picked purplette, rosa radish and bronze fennel. We opted for a special not on the menu, a wonderful cooked-to-perfection lamb shoulder that just fell off the bone with only a slight nudge. This was served with an interesting combination of potatoes and roast peppers. Oh, nearly forgot! An amuse-gueule was offered before the entree, a juicy single Japanese scallop on a corn sauce with some fresh herbs and some unusual leaves whose name I don't recall. That certainly aroused the taste buds! We also had sourdough served with tapenade and yummy home-churned butter I haven't had since farm days, so there was just no room for dessert.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Classic French/European restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A beautiful romantic culinary experience, delicate dishes lovingly prepared, yet size wise big enough for my enormous appetites. Why they do not hold the accolades of having been awarded hats, is astounding. Exceptional food and service and cheaper than most other degustations in Sydney. Strongly recommend.

• Visited February 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“A night to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We went with some friends, last Wednesday, to Atelier in Glebe Pt Rd. I had never heard of the restaurant, other than from a mad Welshman who said it was one of the best restaurants in Sydney. It was the entree that sealed the deal for me, Heirloom Tomato Salad, Buffalo Mozzarella, Perfect Avocado, Heirloom Tomato Sorbet, Tomato Dashi. My partner's entree was Sweet-Cured Sake Kingfish, Fennel, Pomello, Coral Tenax, Ocean Trout Roe & Katsuo Dashi. My main course was Milly Hill Lamb, Poached Loin & Slow-Cooked Shoulder of Lamb, Spring Heirloom Vegetables & Purple Shiso Leaves. By this time there was no room for the dessert but my partner had Miron-Marinated Rockmelon, Black Sesame, Coconut Sorbet, Ginger Jelly, Rose-Scented Geraniums. This may all look a little complicated but it was sensational and the two waitresses explained every item on the menu.
Atelier is in a small house so there are different rooms to choose from which makes the evening so much more intimate and fun.
I agree with my Welsh chum, Atelier is there with the best, and more with its warm friendly ambiance.

• Visited November 2012