“Best Food we had in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Diner, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Singer Island, Florida
“Best Food we had in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just walked back to our hotel from this restaurant & I have to say, this was the best meal we had in Sydney & one of the best in our two weeks in Australia. The food was fresh, flavorful & cooked to perfection. The service was very good as well, very attentive wait staff. Leaving tomorrow to go back to the U.S. or we'd be back here again. Definitely recommend Spice I Am.

• Visited February 2014

• Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent cuisine, marred by shockingly rude waiters”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

It is undeniable that the cuisine at Spice I am is superb: great cooking, fresh ingredients, and well executed. But there are significant problems which make the overall dining experience frustrating and very disappointing.

Sydney has its share of wonderful restaurants, but unfortunately it also bears the mantle of having some of the rudest waiters in the world. The staff at 'Spice I am wear' smiles that don't even last as long as they look at you, their barely hidden contempt and disdain for almost anything you say to them rises to the surface immediately, like rotten coriander on a dense tropical green paste curry. Each sentence they utter ends with the nonsensical 'Please'. EG 'Here is the menu, please'.

The word is not polite in this use of grammar, what it really indicates is the imperative voice. If this is not enough to make you feel like a school child, consider the tiny wooden tables they seat you at, the overwhelming clamour of noise, and the resolute way the waiters who do not operate in your quadrant of the restaurant will completely ignore you. Your job is to sit still, behave, not annoy them, and get out quickly just after you hand over cash. Cards? No way. Cash only, please.

The overriding problem is the space is so small. A large crowd of hungry would be diners eyese off tables. Their impatience is palpable, and it infects the waiters. If you take more than about 10 seconds to order, a series of alarm bells goes off and fairly soon you will have a very unfriently waiter, no smile, saying very clearly to you: 'Sir, you will have to please order now, please'. Then they will gesture to the large queue of diners. If that is not enough to put you off, even before you finish the last mouthful of your food, they will approach to remove plates. I did not even ask for the bill, but I had a bill handed to me: nor I was not invited to have dessert, or coffee, and nor was I asked how the food was. As I finished my last mouthful, the waiter handed me a bill. This restaurant has become so arrogant it now deserves to fail.

True it is, Saturday night is a very busy night. True, they need to make money.

But when did such rudeness become acceptable? The restaurant needs to expand, and outlay capital for larger space, rather than punish its loyal clientele. Instead, this restaurant is run like a small, bitter, dictatorship, where the western customers are barely tolerated, and better pay up and say nothing to the Order of the Imperial Thai Wait Staff. Spice I am, I am able to do without your spice in future. Apologies to the chefs: you deserve better waiters and better management! Hang on, what management?

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Rustic but lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Almost a shop front but the food is amazing with rapid efficient service. We visited having been recommended by friends and didn't regret it. The dishes we had were great at a very good price. Would definitely go again and not hesitate to recommend.

• Visited January 2014
indonesia
“Delicious - something special!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

One of the best Thai restaurants I've visited. The curries and meats were done to perfection. Even the standby dish, Pad Thai, was wonderful. My only complaint is that the wait staff had some difficulty understanding our instructions about changes to the orders, and we ended up with a few strange drinks, and we also gave up on ordering something special for our picky kids (they got plain rice instead!). It was also quite loud inside, but that did not detract too much from the intimate atmosphere. Great for a dinner with adults only. Definitely recommend!

• Visited December 2013
Sydney, Australia
“One of my best meals overall ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Honestly - to be able to make a chicken cashew nut taste like it was the first time I had ever tried it and to to make it also the best time is a mastery of food preparation and this was not even the best dishes - this place rocks

• Visited November 2013