“Nice pizza in trendy Crown St district” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Nice pizza in trendy Crown St district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This place has nice, well priced pizzas. Nice atmosphere. Take a stroll down Crown St after dinner and get a gelato from Messina for dessert! Mmmm.

• Visited May 2013

nsw
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The pizza here is delicious, probably the best I had in a while. Topping are great but the pizza base is to die for. I highly giving this place a try, but ensure you only go to pizza as the pasta was a tad salty.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic Pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

we Have dinned at Pizza E Birra and have enjoyed both times, the food is always good, the pizza is fantastic and the service is very good, one of waiters was great at advising what wines where nice for our dinner choice.

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Rude waiters average pizza. Noisy and uncomfortable. We won't go back ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have been to Pizza e Birra a number of times. The first time we loved the pizza and thought the pizza to be very good, but the restaurant was filled with people, table was so small and layout very close to the next table, we sat so close to the next table we felt like we were dining with the strangers. The pizza were stacked on 2 metal racks but there were still not enough room for my partner and I. The room were just too crowded, noisy and uncomfortable. It's hard to wave to any waiters to pay as they were all busy doing things and hardly pay any attention to any customers. We thought we would just leave and see if they noticed we did not pay. Of course we didn't and it was such an effort to finally caught one waiter and asked for the bill.

We went back once more when I had the craving for the Porcini e Salsiccia pizza. The situation did not change and we have not been back for 2 years.

The last visit was the Easter Monday night about 8 pm. We live in Redfern, east side on Young Street and Crown Street was a few minutes walk away. We had 2 friends staying with us and thought it would be easy to find something to eat on Crown street. Unfortunately all the restaurants were closed but happy to see Puzza e Birra was open and only half full.

A young waiter greeted us and sat us down at a table for four. He brought us the menu straight away, we ordered 3 pizzas to share, a large bottle of sparkling water to share and some wine by the glass and that was just easy and straight forward and easy going.

We got our wine quickly and enjoyed our conversation with friends, we can actually have a conversation here!!! Great, especially the loud table just left 5 minutes after we have sat down.

I excused myself and went to the toilet after loud table left. To get to the toilet I need to go pass the wine bar area, the walkway was narrow with some customers having a drink at the wine bar. A waiter(older and looked like he has just been let out of a jail) has just collected 2 wine glasses and 2 plates from a table close to the toilet and walked towards me, he looked at me, no smile and has no intention of giving way to let me pass. I have no choice but being polite to move into the space between the bar stool and the drinking customer to let him pass. Great, another rude waiter.

After I got back to join my friends, I noticed we still hadn't have our sparkling water, that was about 15 minutes after we have ordered. So my partner asked the young waiter after he sat another four customer right next to us. The young waiter replied to my partner so loudly in such annoyed tone: " y e e e s s i i i r, i t ' s c o m i i i i i i g ..."! Then yell loudly to the kitchen to the criminal looking waiter. We were in shock and my partner jut rolled his eyes. A few minute later the criminal looking waiter deliver a big bottle of sparkling water, not to us but to the table 2 tables away behind us.

Another few minutes later, the same criminal looking waiter walked to our table and yell: " we are not a cafe huh we don't have wifi!!!" It tooked a while for us to realize what he was saying after he repeated the same word the second time. My partner couldn't bare it and yelled back to him:" What is the problem here, we did not ask about wifi. Just tell me what is your problem!?". The waiter were stunned, just rolled his eyes and walked away. No apology. No sorry I made a mistake! He then come back from the serving area after speaking to the young waiter and walked to the table which he delivered the sparkling water earlier and said something to the couple, they were totally stunned then annoyed. I guess it was the same words he said to us earlier?

The sparkling water still hasn't been delivered after all this and we just couldn't be bothered to make another fuss. We wanted to get up and leave right away but our guests wanted to stay and thought it would be hard to find another restaurant which is open.

Well we finally got our water and pizza much later and luckily, no more dramas for us from there on except the pizzas were not up to the usually standard after I praised upon how good the Porcini e Salsiccia to my friends, and my partner the Frutti di Marre he loved.

And the 4 customers next to us now, just had their entrees, no water and have tried a few times to catch the waiters' attention.

It was a quite night on Easter Monday, and we won't come back, ever!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Mad Pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Usually head down here on a Monday night for Mad Pizza - all you can eat! Good pizza and great value for a quick in and out early in the week.

• Visited March 2013