“Authentic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pasteur

Pasteur
709 George St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Inner West)
(02) 9212 5622
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,858 of 5,322 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Inner West
Neighborhood: Inner West
“Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wife and I have a soft spot for this place because its a short walk from home and the best Pho in the CBD that we've found so far.

It's also relatively authentic; downmarket, plain, budget furniture - the only things missing are the bins on the floor to discard used tissues and possibly they could use those short plastic stools instead.

On the food, really we only eat here to get a Pho fix, the crispy skin chicken is OK everything else I've tried has been average.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“I love Vietnamese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is the best Vietnamese food from all over that I ever try… but it's just little more expensive than the other Vietnam restaurant in Sydney, and I more like Vietnam food than Thai food

“Reliable Pho”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have eaten pho all over Vietnam, even at the Pho Pasteur in Pasteur St in Ho Chi Minh City.
I still consider the pho at Pasteur in George Street (as well as at Bankstown) the best I've had. I think its not only the fresh ingredient but the quality of the Australian beef that makes the difference. Well done!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Grungy place with pretty good pho”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sometimes I get a craving for beef pho. If I am in town I usually come here for it, just on my own. I have to say, though, that the first time I came they served it with fresh mint not holy basil. This was disappointing, so the next time I felt like a pho I went to Paddy's Markets around the corner and bought a bunch of holy basil. Naturally, when I ordered my beef pho this time it came with basil! And so it has each time after that. The restaurant is quite grungy and basic. It certainly reminds you of being in Asia. The pho is good without being truly excellent. I always get the small one for $10, which is pretty much standard in Australia I guess; I usually can't finish it so I'll never oredr the large one..

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Used to be good, gone downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Look, I used to come here every Sunday with my flatmate, but honestly, its gone down hill a lot. We used to pay $9 for a bowl of pho and now we pay $11+ and its just not that good to justify the price. You can get better pho elsewhere. They put up their prices alot but now give less ingredients and the food isn't quite as good anymore. They've become complacent because of their success. The service here at best is average, but usually, it can only be described as bad. The other food like the tomato rice and crispy skin chicken is good and their vermicelli salad is very tasty though.

• Visited April 2012