“Amazing” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Adelaide, Australia
“Amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful experience. Such an amazing collection of ingredients, textures, and flavours. We chose to add the matched wines, with much delight. Wines we would never have tried that married with the degustation plates so well. Yes, this is not usual fare, be prepared to be surprised on many fronts. The staff were knowledgeable and obviously comfortable with the ingredients and techniques, and the sommelier was happy to share his passion with us. It would be nice to have the menu as you work your way through, however I do understand the element of surprise. So glad we have experienced Marque's unique approach to dining.

Visited May 2013

68% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“3 chef hats need be to retracted as this is lying to the public”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. Given it is rated a 3 chef hat restaurant I expected something on par or even better than my favourite restaurant The Quay. Boy was I deceived and wrong. My first impression on the atmosphere, ambience and decor was that the place was lacking personality. Felt like I was eating in a home lounge room of some sort. Our waiter was rude and abrupt when placing out cutlery. For one of the dishes all he said was 'one this is autumn sticks and leaves' and left before we could even ask wtf was 'sticks and leaves'. Whereas the Waiter serving the table next to us got a full explaination of what they were about to eat. 3chef hat?? I could not down the food, it was absolutely horrible. How can they charge hard working people for the dishes that supposedly make this restaurant 3chef hat??? Daylight robbery I tell ya! Whilst you appreciate chefs being innovative with food and ingredients, some can pull it off, but this one couldn't. Even the table next to me refused to eat some of the dishes. I am so frustrated because I feel I've been deceived. Because I know what 2 chef hat restaurants taste like, behave like. So I must ask, how did this restaurant earn this? Honestly give one of the hats to The Quay where I have thoroughly enjoyed my meals plenty of times, a place that knows service and appreciation for food.
I am gobsmacked and so disappointed at the whole experience.
Be warned of dish you get before the actual dessert! It's disgusting and tastes like nuclear liquid. The first dish -crab with foam - yuck! The foam tasted like perfume. Mixed with bits of seafood grab.... Go figure.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Awful and totally overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently attended Marque Restaurant with my colleagues. We were all very excited at the thought of having an 8 course (de-gustation) type menu at one of Sydney's supposedly "premier" restaurants in Surry Hills.

We'll weren't we surprised/shocked with the food!

Plainly and honestly, the food was awful and totally overpriced! The food looked interesting and extravagant, but I didn't like its taste. It was unpleasant to the palate. In a nutshell, he food combinations were strange to say the least. I tasted all 8 courses, but recall actually only finishing 2 of them. The waiting staff were attentive however. All up though, it was a very disappointing experience. All that money for an extremely dissatisfying meal! I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Finally, I am surprised to read the positive reviews of others about this restaurant, given my very recent experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Austere and idiosyncratic, be prepared to drink the kool-aid!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We first ate at Marque fifteen years ago and Mark Bests singular fine diner remains an unusual dining experience, both more and less than one expects. The food theory and flavour combinations are clearly complex but the presentation is overtly simple to the point of plain, with several of the degustation dishes on our recent visit appearing at first glance ( and sometimes at second and third taste) to be essentially purees with molecular wafers. While undoubtedly clever and complex, some of the flavour combinations and textures didn't seem complimentary to us and the portion sizes of the meat dishes, while exquisite to taste are small enough to incite regret. Wait staff were polite but hushed and a little over reverent, and given that the menu is not presented in printed form till the conclusion of the meal we had to have some of the dishes explained several times to us. Marque is certainly a special occasion restaurant, and not for everyone. One has to admire the commitment to Mark's vision and style, but it may be another fifteen years before we can submit to it again.

Visited May 2013
Rimini, Italy
“Interesting and worthwhile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As a foodie with a limited budget, I really appreciated the Prix Fixe Friday lunch menu at Marque, which would normally be a prohibitively priced restaurant for me.
They certainly do not skimp as we were treated to three courses as well as amuse bouche and apres dessert - so that's good. The staff is friendly and the informal lunch atmosphere was aided by some rock and roll playing overhead which I doubt would have been on at dinner time.
I will take the time to note a few things that could have gone better, however.
First of all, it is not the restaurant's fault but I think the lower price brought in all the tourists in the worst possible way. Every table but ours had someone playing with their smart phone or even talking on it... it was very distracting and certainly not what I would expect at a restaurant at this level. The couple next to us kept asking the different servers (who were very polite) to snap their picture. I would make it a rule that phones are to be kept put away while eating... can you do that?
Now, the food. Amuse was a walnut mousse with a nettle sauce - cute. The app was an amazingly delicate salad of calamari, broccoli, and horseradish. Very tasty although the calamari were certainly not the stars of the dish.
The main was pork neck cooked sous vide...tender, tasty and yummy.
The first sweet was a chocolate roulade which was so dry!! The amount of bitter cocoa on it really made it hard to swallow. Although I viewed it as a transition dish between the savory and very sweet to come.
The last dish was the best - their signature Sauternes custard. What can I say.. flawless! So many layers of flavour that just went on and on.
All in all, a good experience which could have been great if there were not so many rude people around. I guess that in the evenings, when paying full price, the ambience is different.

• Visited May 2013