“Super Special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lowenbrau Keller

Lowenbrau Keller
18 Argyle St | (Corner of Playfair & Argyle Streets), Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia
+61 2 9247 7785
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,073 of 5,105 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: As Sydney's most popular and authentic Munich-style restaurant, the Lowenbrau Keller offers hearty cuisine and quality imported biers in a traditional bier-hall environment - right in the heart of The Rocks. The emphasis is on fabulous food, bier and entertainment, so guests can have plenty of pure fun with family, friends and colleagues any day or night of the week
Kingston, Canada
“Super Special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I ate here during a recent trip to Sydney while waiting for my departure time on the Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk. I had the daily special of Sauerbraten with a crisp lager and can tell you that the food was excellent and the lunch special moderately priced. If you are in or around the Rocks and looking for good food, stop in at Lowenbrau Keller!

• Visited July 2013

“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We love German food and this place does it very well ( not to mention the beer). The band and traditional Bavarian games that the band leads are always lots of fun. The Lowenbrau is in a great spot in The Rocks area to people watch. We will visit this restaurant every time we are in Sydney.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Munich, Germany
“A Bit of Bavaria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

When you order German food outside Germany, you expect something almost German but not as good...and definitely not better. I was there a year ago and still remember the Pork Belly, or Krustenbraten, as the Bavarians call it. Crispy, melt in your mouth. It was great.

I'm not a fan of Loewenbraeu beer, but the atmosphere was exceptional. This is a great place to hang out, drink and eat excellent Bavarian food on The Rocks in Sydney.

I'd definitely go back if it weren't 7 million miles away.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a great little piece of Germany we found in The Rocks, The service was friendly and prompt, topped with some great ales, awesomely prepared meals served outside in the quiet paved street and when we ventured inside a very rustic dining area and bar full of atmosphere. Definitely well worth the visit for a dining experience and some fun.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Food not as good as I remember”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having enjoyed a great meal at Lowenbrau on a previous visit to Sydney we were keen to eat there again. The restaurant was busy as usual but we managed to be allocated a table without having made a booking. Our waiter was friendly and our order was taken reasonably promptly.

My husband had the traditional sausages while I opted for the chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce, mashed potato and salad. There was some confusion with my husband's order as he requested the meal that contained the bread and mustards but arrived without both. Our waiter apologised as he misinterpreted the order and bread and mustard was provided promptly. I was disappointed with my schnitzel as I noticed it was very pink in places. I queried this with the waiter and he said 'that's how our chef cooks them, it should be slightly pink.' The first I have heard of this as chicken really shouldn't be pink anywhere so I cut around the edges and ate the more cooked pieces. It was pretty bland so thankfully the mushroom sauce was tasty. My salad was the standard fare of lettuce, lettuce, a little tomato, onion, cucumber and capsicum with more lettuce. The dressing was good though.

You can't visit Lowenbrau without sampling their excellent selection of schnapps. Delicious flavours!!

Our visit this time fell short of our expectations. Lowenbrau still packs in a crowd but I think this is more for the atmosphere and beer than the food itself.

• Visited June 2013