“German fun!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lowenbrau Keller

Lowenbrau Keller
18 Argyle St | (Corner of Playfair & Argyle Streets), Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia
02 9247 7785
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Huntington Beach, California
“German fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We found ourselves here whole meandering The Rocks on a Sunday night, and had a surprisingly good time! We started with German Lowenbrau and shots of schnapps (winter Appel was amazing) served on a long paddle, by authentically dressed servers. We are prIce conscious travelers, and always appreciate restaurants that make no big deal out of our choice to split different taste treats. We split one of the best salads we had in all of Australia, then shared a bratwurst plate, which was way more than enough food for us. The veal sausages were nice, and they graciously allowed us to sub German potato salad for the standard mashed potatoes. Peas were fun ... Seems Aussies do a lot of peas! The mustards were good. In a weak moment, we ordered the garlic bread to start -- it was lovely rustic bread, but so garlicky and wet with butter it was almost hard to eat. We ate on the patio and were surrounded by happy diners having fun. Service was terrific throughout, and they seem to take a good team approach. We never did locate Fish on the Rocks, which we were originally headed for -- but loved this experience anyway. BTW, we didn't do the pork knuckle, but it looked wonderful on another diner's plate! All in all, it was a lovely casual night at a reasonable price.

Visited May 2013

Hurstville, New South Wales, Australia
“Saturday night in Sydney in Lowenbrau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My son and I had a nice dinner and drinks her last Saturday night. Food was prompt and drinks priced reasonably. We were served by a very friendly German waiter. Atmosphere was great and reminds us of Munich, where ironically the waiter was from. We sat at the bar first and then walked into the room with long table to eat our dinner.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing: good beer, average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We ordered two schnitzels which arrived in less than 5 minutes, barely warm, bland and included low quality chicken. The quality of a $10 pub lunch at 3x the price. Give this place a miss.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shenzhen, China
“OK food, festive atmosphere, LOUD music”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I found myself arriving in Sydney on a late flight. I didn't get to my hotel until 10:00 PM and then wandered down to the harbor to find something to eat. It was closing in on 11:00 PM by the time I got to the harbor and there were not a lot of choices at that point. I guess I can say that I just ended up at this place, because I definitely didn't go searching for this restaurant. That being said, the food was OK. I had the schnitzel, potatoes, and salad. I was tired, but hungry and didn't really care much about what I was eating at that point. If I had been a bit more conscious and discerning I would probably say it wasn't the best food... but in all fairness I don't remember a whole lot. It was a very festive atmosphere there with the servers wearing typical German / Bavarian attire. Even much of the younger crowd (diners) were dressed up for the occasion and a night of dancing and drinking. That being said, I did find the music and atmosphere a bit too loud at times.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“A night in Germany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had a wonderful meal the with all the ambiance of a German hoffbrauhaus. Food was great and the singing and music added to the charm. Great variety of German beer and schnapps. Service was friendly and spot on. Will definitely go there again.

• Visited April 2013