“It's a safe bet any time of the day” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,262 of 5,321 Restaurants in Sydney
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Kazbah Balmain is the flagship venue of the Kazbah Group chain of restaurants. The other Kazbah venues are located at Darling Harbou and Top Ryde. Kazbahs little sister cafes Mezbah are located at the Adina hotel in Sydney Central and Lime Street. Kazbah is Sydney's leader in Middle Eastern cuisine. Established since 1998 by chef and owner Zahi Azzi, Kazbah has been delivering Sydneysiders with the most innovative and flavoursome blend of the old and new - Levantine and Modern Australian food in authentic, stylish surrounds. Be transported to Morocco, Iran, Lebanon, Israel, Syria and Turkey with a French/Mediterranean flare. Kazbah puts the hospitality back into the hospitality industry.
North Sydney, Australia
“It's a safe bet any time of the day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Breakfast here is great. Sunday mornings are usually packed with large family groups so make sure you book. The pancake is just too big though.
Dinner is also very good. We were lucky to land on a relatively quite Saturday night. Service was attentive and the food was well above average.
Highly recommended.

Visited January 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Decidedly average...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Eight of us dined so decided to go for the lunchtime banquet which was $35 per head. Dips, calamari, chorizo, halloumi and lamb sausages to start which were nice enough but I've definitely had better. Then after probably 30 minutes they brought out chicken and lamb kebabs with a salad. The chicken was better than the lamb, but nothing that set my world on fire. Being a real fan of Middle Eastern food I expected better. Some things felt like they'd been prepared too far in advance and so had lost that freshly prepared appeal. The salad especially was really soggy and the lamb kebabs were rubbery and slightly overcooked.
The amount of food was extremely good value for the cash, but the waiters had little personality and the overall experience was lacking.
Would I go back? Maybe, for convenience only, but I'd choose more carefully and in a smaller group. I'd certainly not make a special trip.

Visited January 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
“Solid performer with delicious food next to the Aquarium”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I found this place on New Year's Eve because I was in dire need of a liquor store to buy champagne for the evening and it was right next door to "City Cellars". We were staying at the adjacent Four Points Sheraton and Kazbah is possibly the closest restaurant in short walking distance to the hotel. Although Kazbah is located in the middle of a tourist laden walkway it seemed to attract a solid local crowd too which is always a good sign that you are in a good place. I had a most delicious Falafel. Very fresh. Quite yummy. I brought my family back for breakfast the next morning and had another good food experience. Try the Kazbah Breakfast Board (sampler) or Kazbah Breakfast Sandwich with specialty sausage. My top breakfast picks. I would have given a higher overall rating but I found the staff a bit gruff and "standoff-ish" on both occasions. While I understand that serving a crowd in a high volume place can be stressful there is no substitute for pleasant customer service with a smile. I didn't see much of that going on with the bustling staff churning out plates of food. When paying for my first meal at the counter I asked the woman to hold as I looked for exact change in my pocket and she told me, "I'm too busy to wait" with her eyes rolling. Then she dove into the register and plunked down a pile of coins (my change) on the counter and scurried away. During my breakfast visit I asked if they could make a single egg for my six year old son and the gentleman said, "Sorry, can't help you but you can order a whole ($18) meal if you want eggs." In the end, we only ordered two meals and fed our son from our plates. As a businessman it seems counter-intuitive to not accommodate simple requests like that and they simply didn't exercise the flexibility. Had the food not been as good I wouldn't have made the return trip. In short - It's a great place for good tasting food and a quick meal, but don't go looking for a dining experience.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing food, atmosphere and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This place is truly amazing. The food is spectacular and the dessert was a stand out. I would come back any day!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Exciting menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was very excited to go here, even more so after reading the menu and seeing the variety of protein available.
We ordered Calamari stuffed with chorizo, a goat tagine and a duck meal.
The food was ok, but felt it was lacking flavour and the goat was very fatty.
The service was also very slow.

• Visited November 2013