“A mixed blessing riddled with inconsistencies” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carrington Apartments

You added Carrington Apartments to your Saves list
Carrington Apartments
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   57 York St., Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Wynyard)   |
Ranked #62 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Melbourne
“A mixed blessing riddled with inconsistencies”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I booked a 2 bedroom, arrived and found our 6th floor apartment in a disgusting state of disrepair and cleanliness. Holes had been punched in the walls, light bulbs missing, toilet leaking, mouldy shower curtain and loungeroom drapes hanging off . To top if off, that night we were kept awake by a steady stream of drug and alcohol affected undesirables smoking in the hallway and banging on the door of the next apartment. Management immediately changed us to the 7th floor the next day and were both apologetic and extremely helpful. This apartment was a big improvement but still the general disrepair of fixtures and fittings was disconcerting (a shower head that wouldn't stay up, a dryer that didn't work etc etc) and single glazed windows in busy York st created a noise nightmare.It sounds from previous reviews that the 1 bdrm have been upgraded and perhaps others were better maintained than the two apartments I experienced.
Still, Its hard to enjoy a week long stay in a grotty apartment even though its cheap and I think my $186 a night would have been better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melbourne, Australia
1,388 reviews 1,388 reviews
3,149 helpful votes 3,149 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

From York Street, Sydney, these 30 year old apartments are nothing special in appearance. They are easy to reach, being about 200 metres south of Wynyard railway station.

Nor is the foyer, which has an old-style vacancy noticeboard and pink carpet that could do with replacement.

Nor is the 10th floor reception area.

However, when I got the key and opened my apartment door, my opinion changed for teh better.

A spacious livingroom and seperate bedroom - both recently recarpeted in a lovely deep blue, and repainted in white, together with an older style but pleasant kitchen and a recently renovated bathroom with a bath, washing machine and dryer awaited me.

A plasma TV, a microwave, a comfortable couch, a dining table that could easily fit four people and a stereo system completed the apartment (plus a microwave, good sized fridge, a kettle but strangely no alarm clock. Guests even have their own private telephone number though the phone itself was a Telstra touch-dial model circa 1985.

As others have mentioned, garbage trucks can be loud at 0030 or 0300 but this was a minor inconvenience.

The manager, a gray-haired chap, was very friendly with the right sort of personality for this operation.

Superannuation funds own some units as do individual investors: some are allegedly reluctant to upgrade the 'common areas' such as foyers.

An ugly duckling on the outside, but look in and you won't be disappointed.

At only A$105 or so a night through wotif.com, an absolute steal.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

First of all, I will state here and now - this isn't the Menzies. If you're expecting service on that level, you will be sorely disappointed. If you''re looking for a basic serviced apartment that is priced decently for being in the middle of a bustling city, you can't do better than this.

The Carrington is located in the heart of everything that is the CBD, right on York and Barrack Streets. It's close to Darling Harbour, the shops on Pitt Street, the QVB, everything you could possibly need or want. You can't get a better location, that's for sure.

The apartment (I had suite 1, floor 1) was quite spacious for two people, overly generous for one. I think that I might have actually received an upgrade, as my apartment contained enough sleeping quarters for three!

Check-in was very pleasant. Eleanor was courteous and gracious to a very tired, weary traveler from the U.S.!

Note: Be sure to ask questions if you are unfamiliar with any portion of your room and/or how things are done. I was unable to get the TV to work until 3 days into my trip because I was unaware of how to turn the thing on. -_- I also had a few problems with the toilet in the bathroom because again, it wasn't so obvious as to where things were (such as the lever to flush it! Luckily I was able to locate it fairly quickly!).

Being able to cook and do laundry was a huge plus for me on this trip. There's a Coles Express in nearby Wynyard Station, but you'll prefer to go to the Coles Central on nearby George Street, as it's not any further of a walk and they have much more to choose from. The kitchen is absolutely lovely and contained everything I needed to cook full meals. I was offered laundry services a week into my stay, and the staff was again very pleasant and helpful.

Now for the negatives - aren't there always some?

The bathroom in my suite was extremely cramped, nearly to the point of suffocation. It was very difficult to even take showers without feeling claustrophobic. Also, the hot water (while feeling very lovely indeed) did not last to my satisfaction, it pretty much turned to cold water in about 10 minutes. Still, this is a small complaint, it's something I can live with.

Another minor irritation were the beds - they were very low to the ground and the mattress had a tendency to separate from the boxspring quite easily, to the point where I pretty much had to fix it almost every night I was there. Again, a small complaint, but it's one I had to mention, because fixing it was not easy.

Otherwise, you cannot go wrong with the Carrington. Sure, it's not pristine, it's not perfectly white and bleached and sterile - but if you want that, go to a Hilton. I was perfectly satisfied with the service and the overall experience.

• Liked — Location, reasonably priced
  • Disliked — Furnishings could be updated a bit
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

If you want a sleek, swish, modern apartment with great views, first class facilities, luxury fittings and equipment and so clean that you could almost eat your dinner off the floor then the Carrington is not for you. If you want an excellently located city centre apartment at a low price and are happy to have pretty basic accommodation and facilities then it is worth considering.

My wife and I recently spent 25 nights (11 February to 7 March 2008) in one of the Carrington’s 1 bedroom apartments. We booked directly with the Carrington paying a long stay rate of $121 (Australian) a night. At the time we booked (August 2007) I could not find anything in the same locality that came close to this price. The York apartments a few blocks away were nearly twice as much.

Because we had spent 20 nights at the Carrington in 2005 (and had been very happy there) we had no hesitation booking again for this visit. However, we were taken aback when, after booking, we saw the previous review. Indeed, we were so concerned that we sent the apartment management a link to the review and asked for their comments. In response, we were told that new management had just taken over and were assured that the sort of things the previous reviewer had reported would not happen again.

I’m pleased to say that our experience this time, staying in exactly the same apartment as last time, broadly confirmed that assurance.

First, a few factual points about the Carrington. It is located in the CBD on York Street just near the Wynyard Street end of Wynyard Park. The block has about 40 apartments – either one or two bedrooms – spread over 10 floors, although some appear to be used as offices by businesses. Each ‘residential’ apartment has a balcony, an internal laundry (washing machine and drier) and is air conditioned (there was a single unit in our lounge). The apartments either look out over York Street (the 2 bedroom ones I think) or over a service road at the rear straight into an office block no more than 20 feet away. So the apartments at the back have no view to speak of, get no sun and are fairly dark. There are two large lifts. There is a rubbish shute with access to it from every 2nd floor landing. There is an administrative office on the 10th floor that is open 7 days a week - from about 8am to 5pm on weekdays and in the mornings at weekends. The apartment block does not have car parking, a swimming pool, a restaurant, a sauna, a gymnasium or any of the other facilities the more upmarket apartments now tend to have. The apartments are serviced (cleaned, linen and towels changed etc) but the frequency of the servicing depends on the rate you pay (see later).

What follows is necessarily a subjective view based mainly on our apartment (number 39 on the 10th floor) so may not be representative of all the apartments.

Good points

Location. Taking an all round view, I don’t think you could get a much better located apartment. Situated in the heart of the CBD, it is a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay, the Rocks area, the main shopping area (the Queen Victoria building, Pitt Street etc) and the main cinema/theatre area. It is a 5 minute walk to Darling Harbour (Kings Wharf end). There are literally dozens of pubs, cafes (some right outside the apartments front door), restaurants and convenience stores within a 5 minute walk. Within a 2/3 minute walk you also have Wynyard train station (the station has a Coles supermarket in), the Wynyard bus station (most buses go north of the harbour from here) and the George Street buses. From these places you can get to anywhere in Sydney easily.

Space. Our apartment was a good size. The lounge area was about 13x15 feet, the dining area about 10x10 feet, the kitchen about 9x9 feet, the bedroom about 15x10 feet with a large wardrobe and a 5 foot wide bed and the bathroom/laundry area about 6x12 feet. The balcony was about 20x6 feet but it had no furniture, got no sun and looked straight into an office block so was of dubious benefit!

Internal soundproofing. We hardly heard any noise from other apartments. Because there were only 4 apartments on each floor you did not get the banging of entry doors so common on hotel corridors. But if you were in an apartment next to the rubbish shute my guess is you could get quite a bit of noise from that.

Lifts. There were 2 and they were excellent. They were spacious, reliable, quick to arrive and usually empty.

Office staff. The new management team (Peter and Eleanor) were friendly and helpful.

TV. The reception was good and apart from the standard terrestrial channels (SBS, ABC, channel 7 etc) it also has Fox 1 & 2, Sky News, World Movies etc.

Phone charges. These were very reasonable. No surcharges at all appear to be added.

Price. If you ignore value for money and judge the price purely in absolute terms then it does not cost a lot to stay there. If you judge price in terms of overall value for money then I think the position is less clear. Certainly you would probably get better value for money elsewhere if you are prepared to book late (eg through Wotif).

Not so good points

External noise. Even with all the windows closed the apartments let in a lot of external noise. While noise is inevitable in a city centre (the refuse people, for example, collect during the night and there is a lot of building work all around that starts at about 7am each morning), these apartments seem particularly ‘leaky’. The windows are single glazed, the apartments at the rear overlook the service road and the close proximity of the office block opposite seems to magnify the noise. The noise the refuse men make tipping glass bottles into their vehicle at about 2am in the morning is extraordinary! If you are there a long time you kind of get used to it, but for short term residents the level of external noise could be quite disturbing

Condition of the apartment. The one we stayed had definitely deteriorated since 2005. Decoratively it was OK. But the carpets, which were fairly new in 2005, are now very stained in places. Most of the taps seemed to leak. The bathroom was very damp, with a really mouldy smell coming from the cupboard under the wash basin. The bath was quite stained and the white tiling had a lot of black between the tiles. Basically, it could do with some refurbishing

Security. This was reasonable but not great. There was a code entry system at the main entrance which worked when the office was closed. The apartment key had the code on the fob so if you lost your key………! Our apartment had key entry and a double lock which could be operated from inside the apartment. The door had a spyhole. The apartment used to have a phone entry system but that no longer worked. The apartment did not have an in room safe and the office did not have a safe that guests could use either (it did when we were there last time)

Equipment. On the face of things it was reasonably well equipped. It had a TV, a dishwasher, a microwave, a refrigerator/freezer, a full size cooker, a kettle and a toaster. It also had glasses, crockery, cutlery and kitchen utensils. But much of it was pretty old/kocked about, nothing matched and it was pot luck what crockery etc you got. Guests can borrow hairdryers and electrical adaptors from the office.

Cleanliness. The apartment was not exactly dirty although it could have been cleaner. For example, if you lifted the seats of the sofa/arm chairs there were loads of crumbs etc beneath.

Room servicing. It was not made explicit when we booked that the reduced rate we got, and which we thought was for a long stay, also meant we only got the apartment serviced once a week. When we stayed there in 2005 we got both a reduced rate and daily servicing.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

I dont enjoy fully negative reviews so I will start with the positive, the location and price were great, across the road from the train station and in walking distance to all the cbd has to offer...

The downside:
We arrived on time and the receptionist arrived 20 minutes later in a bad bad mood, lucky for us she checked us in early, am glad because we didnt want to have to see her again... She gave us 1 key for 4 people in a 2br room, so for the next week we had to plan where and when we all were and who would be home first to let everyone else in... There was no negotiation on the key... And the intercom wasnt working so everytime someone did come home we had to go all the way downstairs to let them in...

When we got in there was a soaking wet curtain on one of the single beds, soaked through the blankets and sheets, we called three times over the day to get it sorted and the receptionist was rude and said that it would be sorted and to stop calling, we got in from the day out and it was still there... My step dad put the curtain back up so the bed would dry, and I slept in the other single bed with my husband, so the other single could dry... The following day when it was less damp I slept on it, possibly the worst mattress I have ever slept on, on a 45degree angle, so all night I was rolling out one end of the bed...

It was advertised as self catering yet there were no pots, pans, toaster, teaspoons...

The whole establishment was filthy, mould all through the shower, carpets stained, black on the walls in the hallway

The windows were jammed open so the noise from workmen across the road starting at the break of dawn came straight into our bedrooms and woke us up...

Im sorry to say that this was the single most awful accommodation experience I have ever had, 1/2 star properties are better then this! Spend the extra cash and stay somewhere where you dont feel that you might catch something simply by being there...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

Great location, with easy access to airports (via Wynyard Station) and the city centre. The apartment was spacious and comfortable but the decor overall felt a little shabby and run down, and definitely in need of refurbishment. There was a slight smell too of previous smokers in the apartment. The shabbiness was a pity because with a face-lift the place would look pretty good. We were on the first floor, which was a little noisy at times, but nothing that we couldn't handle.

• Liked — central
  • Disliked — shabbiness of interior
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Preston , UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

We stayed for 6 nights on our recent trip to Sydney. the apartment was very large with a seperate bedroom. We had everything we needed, full kitchen, washing facities,tv and bathroom.

Let us start with the kitchen. Having somewhere to cook meals saved us a lot of money on eating out. We did have a slight problem with the dishwasher, it leaked!!! Other than that everything else worked.

The washer and dryer where another source of problems. I am not sure which one but some of our clothes came out burnt, we think it was the dryer being too hot. They also made the most awful noise but after 10 minutes you became used to it. We used to put in the washing then go out for the day.

TV was ok except the remote didn't work. Had all the sports channels so i was happy.

Bathroom was ok, clean but the shower was not the greatest but they never are.

There was building work next door and across the road so we had a nice wake up call in the morning!!!

Overall a good place to stay if you are on a budget and want to save some money for the things Sydney has to offer.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Carrington Apartments? Share your experiences!