“Great stay at the Diamant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels

You added Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels to your Saves list
Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Kings Cross Road | Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia   |
Ranked #43 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
London
“Great stay at the Diamant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. No surprises and just as the website describes. The hotel is located in Kings Cross - an area which is lively; some might say dodgy but I found it safe and easy to get to. The station is just around the corner; Potts Point easy to reach, Darlinghurst up the road and easy to walk into the CBD.

Found a very competitive deal on hotels.com during the Christmas period. The deluxe room has nice modern decor; mod cons (flat screen tv and ipod docking station); walk in shower and lush toiletries. The king size bed was super comfortable and I slept like a log. There is a building being renovated behind but didn't hear any noise and I even had a partial view of the harbour bridge!

I had arrived early after a long flight way before check-in time and the staff were v. accommodating and found me a room which was ready. The concierge gave me good directions on a short walk towards Woolloomooloo, and through the Botanical Gardens to the Opera House. Staff quite friendly and efficient overvall - one of the spot lights fell from the fittings but it was fixed after I reported it - and they answered all my queries. Top tip is to take the airport transfer on departure - it's cheaper than the train!

Like some of the other travellers; I found a lot of good eateries nearby (ooh including Bill Grainger's cafe) and Coles supermarket is in the mini shopping centre just around the corner - so avoid all the small and expensive convenience stores!! So a great experience all round!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Thai first
nraged79
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I arrived at the Diamant at 7am, after 48 hours of travel. I went to the reception desk and advised an extremely friendly young man that I was a little early for the 3pm check- in (2 1/2 week stay). He promptly looked to see if my room was available, but unfortunately, I had to wait until the room was cleaned about an hour later, very quick turn around and I appreciated that. The room had a very contemporary design and the balcony was roomy and comfortable. I read many reviews below complaining about the furniture, and I must agree it is on the cheaper end, but it was sufficient for my stay and well worth the room rate. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I would say the hotel is more suited towards the younger crowd do to the many pubs and clubs around the hotel. Oxford street, for those interested is about a 10 minutes walk. There is a very nice spa across the street I discovered called Zen Day Spa, you should check that out. There is a laundry and dry cleaning service at the hotel, but it is quite expensive, I suggest going to one of the local laundromat's down the street, much cheaper. There are many places to eat near the hotel including the Penny's Lane inside the hotel itself. It is pricey, but the food is terrific. Another convenience is the close proximity to the King's cross train station. A week pass run's about $45 dollars and I got my money's worth. By train it takes 5 -10 minutes to arrive in darling harbor, very close to everything. If you choose to walk downtown it is no more than 20 minutes. Overall, I think this hotel rates very high in Sydney. You will not regret staying at this fabulous hotel.

• Liked — The friendly staff and proximity to the city.
  • Disliked — The fire station across the street, was very loud at times. But can't be changed.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights while in Sydney. A little dubious after speaking to some locals earlier on in the holiday who said the Kings Cross area used to be a bit seedy. Well the area is definetly on the up,all around there are new restuarants setting up and yes there are all sorts in the area but at no time did we feel unsafe. The area is buzzing especially on a weekend, so if there is somewhere nearby you fancy for eating then book. Great location for underground 2 mins walk and if like my husband and I you like to walk then 25 mins walk gets you into Sydney centre. So its not in the centre of Sydney but the centre is either very touristy or very buisnessy. We used the day passes bus and rail if needed. For a trip to the blue mountains use the train option available to buy at any underground station. I think we paid about 33Aus$ for the underground the 2hr train journey from central and the bus while there, now that's great value. Also a good deal was all day travel including ferrys for 16Aus$ this lets you buzz about the city and get a ferry from the quay to say Manly Bay which is a nice beach day out.
The hotel has a fab restuarant, Penny Lane,and our fantastic rate (selected on hotel website, Travel Zoo B&B for 2 = 160Aus$ PN)included breakfast which was absolutely fantastic value, not your usual fry up nonsense with a really lovely room. Staff great too.

• Liked — Fab value in a very nice boutique hotel. Trendy and modern
  • Disliked — Dimly lit inside rooms but heh you just had to open curtains
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

This hotel is absolutely brilliant. I have stayed in many hotels in Sydney and I can not fault the Diamant.

Rooms are huge with King Size beds, all amenities you need, spotless, sound proof... could not hear a sound from kings cross, amazing bathroom with Keven Murphy toiletries that they top up everyday.

Honestly, it was brilliant and the front desk is so helpful. They booked restaurants for us, printed out maps for us, booked us taxis, they could not have been more accommodating.

If you are looking for a chic hotel, in an ideal location... then this is the hotel to stay at!!!

5 star all the way!!!

• Liked — The King Size BED!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.... I seriously could not fault...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DiamantSydGM, Manager at Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 2, 2009
Dear Marieka,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Diamant Hotel! Our aim is to provide outstanding service and provide guests with a relaxed and charming environment to conduct business or simply relax…and yes our beds are the most comfortable in town!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Diamant Hotel, Sydney.
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

The Diamant is a great hotel. It is slick, the rooms are spacious and the beds are really comfy. You get a huge plasma TV to watch (although Aussie TV leaves a lot to be desired) and the toiletries are gorgeous. I stayed here for 2 weeks and loved the location in Sydney. Kings Cross is rowdy and a bit edgy, however walk in the opposite direction and you have the many funky restaurants and bars of Darlinghurst to enjoy. Everything is within walking distance (Circular Quay in around 25 mins away) and although you are not in the very city centre, this is wonderful place to stay if you want to get a real feel for Sydney. There is also a brilliant Fitness First gym right next to the hotel (the Diamant will give you a free pass) and a Coles supermarket for stalking up on provisions. If you book on wotif.com you can usually get a great rate and unlimited internet access thrown in.

• Liked — Luxury and location
  • Disliked — The female front desk staff were not particularly friendly
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eight_Hotels, Owner at Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 20, 2009
Dear R90,
Thank you for your supportive words.
We are thrilled to learn that our hotel and location have helped to create a memorable experience whilst in Sydney and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future as we strive to improve our hotel and service everyday.
I also note that the best available rates are always found directly on our hotels website and we can also then assure best room availability and upgrades where possible.
Thank you again for your comments.
Hotel Management
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

I booked my room at the Diamant through the very helpful and friendly sales department of Eight Hotels. They offered me a Deluxe room that was very much to my liking. It was spacious and very stylish. I loved the classy interior design. The bathroom I think was spacey enough for everything you need to do and the shower was lovely. The tv was huge and the dvd player was a cool extra to have.
The people at the reception were very nice and always smiling and ready to help you out. The people in housekeeping also were very friendly.
The hotel is perfectly located at the Potts Point, Darlinghurst and Kings Cross triangle, which offered us plenty of places to grab dinner and to go out. I never felt unsafe at Kings Cross whatsoever. Actually I was happy being this close to the Cross because it made it possible to get something to eat 24/7.
I shouldn't forget to mention the one thing that made me sleep like I haven't done in ages. The beds are just amazing! The mattresses are unbelievably soft and the sheets and pillows are very comfortable and warm. If only my suitcase would have been big enough, I would have taken it with me!
To sum up: loved loved loved my stay!

• Liked — The beds, staff, rooms and location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
East Anglia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

After reading reviews on this website we went for it and booked 5 nights into the Diamant and only stayed for one! The service was poor, the rooms air conditioning did not work and after informing the receptionist we then had to wait for another room to be made available and that air con was not much better.
The location is not great, if you are visiting Sydney for the first time then just pay a bit more and stay in the centre, the Diamante is not in a particulary nice part of the city.
When we finally checked out after the first and only night the hotel ordered us a taxi and then promptly gave it to someone else rather than informing us it had arrived and we had to wait for another one - but that kind of service is the hotel all over. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
rocks8, Owner at Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 19, 2009
Dear Amy,
Thank you for your comments. Although we are deeply dissapointed, we appreciate all comments as our focus on improving and developing our service and hotel is of paramount importance. We srtive on a daily basis to exceed our guests expectations.I am very sorry that we did not have the chance to exceed or even meet yours. Our hotel is known for wonderful personalised service, style, value and location. We are positioned in the heart of Sydney's most vibrant quarter, only 10 mins walk from the heart of the CBD and surrounded by outddoor cafes, fine dining,bars, boutiques and Sydney's spectacular parks, bays and Harbour. The staff member described no longer is employed by the hotel and we do hope to welcome you back in the future so we can endeavour to create an unforgettably positive experience.
Yours sincerely,
Hotel Management

Been to Diamant Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!